Is it a decent salary - please advise

Hi !

I am male, 32, married, no children. I have a doctorate in finance and I got a job offer from Oman (near Muscat area).

- The salary is about OMR 2200 per month + twice a year return tickets for myself and my wife.
-The employer provides medical coverage and one time furnishing allowance of OMR 2,500
- nothing else is provided by the employer (NO housing, NO transport etc)

Can anyone please guide me on the following:

Q1 - Is it a decent salary in Omani context?
I have seen on the following link that average salary in Oman is OMR 12, 686 per month
http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-su … =1&loc=163

Q2 - Is it sufficient to maintain a "normal" lifestyle for a couple with no children yet? If I want to rent a two bed apartment, maintain a car, travel a bit etc

Regards
~m~

I don't now anything about Oman, but if 12,000 is average then 2,000 is well below average.

@Hailey, that's what i think...but a lil maaths doesn't square the things up...2200 omr/month translates to about USD 69000 (tax free)  per year...which should not be that much below than average

anyone from that region, plz?

Of course it is a good salary.U can rent a very decent two bedroom flat for 400-500 OmR based on that u can calculate other expenses.

Hi LakshmiA,

I need your kinfd assistnce to know if 450 Omani riyal is goo dsalary for Reservation Manager in hotel and company will provde accommodation ,transportation free plus is Oman is good country and what about Omani people are they good or not ?is it expensive ? is relationships between woman and man without marriage is accpeted or not ?kindly know i am Egyptian and i am working now in libya and i will move to Muscat next month .

thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

hello ,

it very good offer , go ahead

Of course it is a good salary. Here two bedroom flat Rent around 500 Omr (depend on the place)

Dear Friends,

I am 24 years old from india

I had been working in Chartered Accountant firm in Mumbai, India for 3 years & 2 months

Had an experience in area of Accounting, Taxation, Auditing etc as per Indian Income Tax & Companies Act, 2013

I am looking for Accounting jobs in muscat

I had searched for average salary in google, it has shown me many links

But in one of the site it is showns as Average monthly salary for accounting OMR 610, link given below
salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=163&loctype=1&job=19&jobtype=2

Is the above salary is correct ???

Can anybody tell me what will be the salary for an Post of Accountant/Accounting in a company in msucat, oman ????

10premium wrote:

Hi !

I am male, 32, married, no children. I have a doctorate in finance and I got a job offer from Oman (near Muscat area).

- The salary is about OMR 2200 per month + twice a year return tickets for myself and my wife.
-The employer provides medical coverage and one time furnishing allowance of OMR 2,500

I have seen on the following link that average salary in Oman is OMR 12, 686 per month
salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?&loctype=1&loc=163

Q2 - Is it sufficient to maintain a "normal" lifestyle for a couple with no children yet? If I want to rent a two bed apartment, maintain a car, travel a bit etc

Regards
~m~

Hi 10premium,

The salary offered to a doctorate degree holder is very low.

At least, if accommodation and all else is provided by the employer then it might be worth a remote consideration. Else, it is a bad deal - for the employee.

Secondly, the average monthly salary quoted in www.salaryexplorer.com is completely incorrect. Only a fraction of the salaried population in Muscat would draw an amount like that.

With the salary offered to you, yes, you can lead a above average lifestyle with a lot of material comforts. Suggest you read through the forum's cost of living topic for further details and clarity.

Sumitran wrote:
10premium wrote:

Hi !

salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?&loctype=1&loc=163

Regards
~m~

Hi 10premium,

The salary offered to a doctorate degree holder is very low.

At least, if accommodation and all else is provided by the employer then it might be worth a remote consideration. Else, it is a bad deal - for the employee.

Secondly, the average monthly salary quoted in www.salaryexplorer.com is completely incorrect. Only a fraction of the salaried population in Muscat would draw an amount like that.

With the salary offered to you, yes, you can lead a above average lifestyle with a lot of material comforts. Suggest you read through the forum's cost of living topic for further details and clarity.

Hi Sumitran
Just wanted to point out, the query you've just answered is 3-year old!
BTW I was surprised to read that a salary of OMR 2200 is considered 'very low'...
Regards

Hi SenseOfHumour,

Thanks for pointing out my boo-boo !

More importantly, your second 'BTW' warrants a more detailed explanation.

For a bachelor's degree holder the salary of R.O. 2,200/- a month might be a great salary, but certainly not for a doctorate degree holder.

That is why, if you notice in the very first line of my response, I had stated it right up front ("The salary offered to a doctorate degree holder is very low."). And yes, the monthly salary of R.O. 2.200/- for a Ph.D. research scholar is indeed very low.

But I guess we are wasting both of our time in flogging a dead horse here !