British embassy parties

hi everyone

Do you know if the British embassy has parties  or any other social activities AT ALL? and how do people get invited?

Thanks a lot

Khatuna

They are currently having a charity ball!

I think you buy tickets?
I know there is afternoon tea for the Queens Jubilee coming up?

is that exclusively for britishers or others can also join ?

Where can we buy tickets?

I have a friend who wants to attend, when is it?

That's what I keep asking where can we buy tickets? I really want to go. :)

Katelol wrote:

That's what I keep asking where can we buy tickets? I really want to go. :)

Why don't you just call the embassy and ASK?

Apparently you now have to make friends with someone at the embassy to join in on the stupid cheese tasting nights and such. The RGBB is charging 450 I think to allow you membership to their equivalent of embassy functions for brits, and who ever else wants to pay or be friends with them. No doubt you will pay extra for the individual events as well, let us know how it is if you join, so far I haven't heard many nice things :(

is it similar to the last event that took place in the american embassy  i loved it they had  standup comedians and couple of rock bands  it was a great night

the events all vary, generally you can assume there is a funtion of some kind for each of the holidays. I have found the americans and irish seem to have the best days/nights, the french also do ok ;)

Ah I found that I got tickets to the Jubilee event via joining a ladies club? I believe it's called 'Corona Club' or something along those lines. I think you have to know someone to join, it's all a bit WI.
Sorry it's a bit vague but if I find out any more on this I shall keep you informed!

britgirly wrote:

Ah I found that I got tickets to the Jubilee event via joining a ladies club? I believe it's called 'Corona Club' or something along those lines. I think you have to know someone to join, it's all a bit WI.
Sorry it's a bit vague but if I find out any more on this I shall keep you informed!

Typical.. involves jumping through hoops and kissing a**.

:one: @ Allie

It's the only way to get anywhere good now - tickets are all sold out before people outside the "circle" even hear of the events. What happened to advertising and first come first serve.

Some one said to me the other day, kinda grim but funny as hell at the time: He's so busy brown nosing; those are shoe laces sticking out his a**!!

It's one of those, you have to know someone who knows someone scenarios. I think I just get 'in' because I'm new girl on the compound haha.

oh noooooooooo. I don't think I want to go to embassy parties any more. I am not a people pleaser. :)

I got invited to parties when I was single.Now, I know why invitations suddenly stopped.  :(

LoopyLou87 wrote:

Apparently you now have to make friends with someone at the embassy to join in on the stupid cheese tasting nights and such. The RGBB is charging 450 I think to allow you membership to their equivalent of embassy functions for brits, and who ever else wants to pay or be friends with them. No doubt you will pay extra for the individual events as well, let us know how it is if you join, so far I haven't heard many nice things :(

Membership? 450 Riyals? commitment? hahahahaha

Did you find anything out about expat gatherings?  We are desperate to make contacts

annfiorentini wrote:

Did you find anything out about expat gatherings?  We are desperate to make contacts

Have you tried the Hash?

Moestavern wrote:
annfiorentini wrote:

Have you tried the Hash?

what is HASH?

check wikipedia. It's an international hiking group.  For specific information, pleaase PM.

junaidghumman wrote:
Moestavern wrote:
annfiorentini wrote:

Have you tried the Hash?

what is HASH?

As Allie says

Let me know when the Italians have a party.

Embassy party on 7th June at British Embassy (RBBG)...clashes with American Embassy & Irish Embassy Party

I joined RBBG (450 R)at the British Embassy two weeks ago...membership only on Saturdays...check website rbbg.org...or checkout the The English Society (100 R)
The Jublilee ball last Thursday by the TES was a good do by all accounts.
Shop opposite American Embassy can get you tickets for American Embassy functions.

I have an Italian name by marriage, decided to keep the name and son and ditch the husband!!!  Give me a lovely Englishman every time!

annfiorentini wrote:

I have an Italian name by marriage, decided to keep the name and son and ditch the husband!!!  Give me a lovely Englishman every time!

:D

giorgiof wrote:

Thanks....but rbbg.org does not work........So, how to register and where|?

It's the RGBB - but if you tell the woman you don't work here and that your husband is not british she gets a real big stick ***.

LoopyLou87 wrote:
giorgiof wrote:

It's the RGBB - but if you tell the woman you don't work here and that your husband is not british she gets a real big stick ***.

LoopyLou

Clue might be in the name "The Riyadh Group for British Business"

On the application form there is this question

"UK Companies Represented, British Goods Sold Or Services Used"

Martin Fin wrote:
LoopyLou87 wrote:
giorgiof wrote:

LoopyLou

Clue might be in the name "The Riyadh Group for British Business"

On the application form there is this question

"UK Companies Represented, British Goods Sold Or Services Used"

Well aware of what the name is thanks but does that mean you have to be rude and pompous when speaking to people. The embassy forwards you to them and she was more than happy to take my money so clearly it doesn't matter all that much if you work out here.

Not quite sure what relevances that question/statement has ...

Contact Andrea,the Secretary of the RBBG on saturdays at the British Embassy.
She is not available for Saturday 26th May 2012 but will be there the following week.

Andrea,

[email protected]

that was like reading through a comedy episode. lol

I really can't understand why people would think that the embassy was obliged to hold social events for UK citizens out here, it's not a social club.

As far as I can see it, the embassy has a facility which it allows expat run organisations and social clubs to use on a regular basis and if you want to attend the functions then you need to be a part of one of those organisations or clubs which have access to the facility.  Examples are things like the RGBB, English Society, Riyadh Caledonians, etc.

I have some better info about Embassy events.
All you have to do is join Corona Worldwide,
I think it was around 165SAR for a the year. I think you can just come along and join :)

coronaworldwide.org/node/2

Corona is for anyone :) and once your a member you can attend events anywhere in the world :)