Looking to move to Hcmc with 2 yr old for 6 months

Can anyone advise on what its like living in Hcmc with a 2 year old. Currently living a very outdoors life in uk. Is is possible? Can you find green spaces or is it too hot to be outside?
Also how is healthcare? Particularly concerned here having a little one.
And what about practicalities? Should I be concerned about the lack of childseats for cars?
Finally as I wouldn't  be working are there expat mums playground and places to go to meet other mums?
Your advice is much appreciated.

Hello Movingmum and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the different threads of the forum and to take a look at the articles in our participative guide, it may be helpful.;)

Harmonie.

There are many public parks, some of the concrete variety, but there is plenty of green around 0 all surrounded by motorcycles!

Years ago, just after the Americans vacated, there was only one city hall and it laid, with great foresight, plans fr public parks, etc. Later, when power was given to district peoples committees (councils) a lot of them 'sold' off public greenery (in return for bribes) so they could build highrises, but there are areas available in all parts of the city.

The heat isn't that bad (I'm from Canada where we have a lot of cold) and after a few months acclimatisation you will be OK. If not, the air-con electric bills will soon cure you.

You will miss the hottest time in HCMC but you will be here in the wettest time, but with the UK floods you will be used to it. Rubbers/Wellington boots aren't always easy to locate here.

Health care is good, especially compared to Cameron's version. Inly thing it costs but you can get insurance, The FV Hospital gas a scheme and besides their main building they have a clinic in Quan (District) 1.

Child-seats! Here parents of toddlers usually carry the young ones in their arms or they splurge for a high0chair that they squeeze in between their sets and the handle bars. To me it appears to be the perfect ejection seat.

A friend had a chair built from stainless steel that is actually attached to the motorcycle and it has a belt. Cost USD$9.

Sure, but again depending on where you decide to hang your hat. There are several Foreigner compounds or areas with higher than usual body counts of Foreign mothers,

Supplies for junior are plentiful, all sorts of diapers,formula, bottles, toys and trinkets. NEVER BUY CHINESE PRODUCTS, as you never know what they have in them. Japanese baby products and formulas are popular with Foreigners hereabouts.

VN has 220V electricity, but not those crazy UK monster plugs, so you might think of bringing unusual gadgets.

You can buy baby sized mosquito net hats for junior.

Note that most tenancies .rentals have a one year minimum - the agent gets a months rent as commission - unless you get a sublet. CraigsList-VietNam is a good place to look, as well as aseveral other websites. If you read it for a week or two you will get a general feel for the current situation.

If your husband is coming on a contract make sure you can stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks - there are serviced apartments for short-term rentals. Choosing an apartment is often predicated by travel time to supermarkets and work place. Taxi will likely be your preferred mode, the charges are approximately $1/kilometre.

You will here about the Phu My Hung area. It is a 'compound' area and whilst it sounds wonderful it is about 25-30minutes from downtown and longer by car. Motorcycles always beat cars in the city. And public transit is minimal from PMH although have a shuttle bus that links it to Quan 1.

Quans 1,3 and 5 are central and many services are within walking distance.

A WORD OF CAUTION: If you do not bring all your stuff with you, but have it following, SAY SO ON YOUR CUSTOMS DECLARATION WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE AIRPORT. It will save you a small fortune in Duty.