Moving to Puerto Rico

I am a 33 year old single female that will be relocating to Puerto Rico. I will be working for federal government in Guaynabo, PR. About 3 years ago I had the opportunity to stay in San Juan for 2 nights and I loved it. I have some questions that would be really helpful if someone could answer.

1. My job will be in Guaynabo but I also really want to be in an area that is a close walk or taxi ride or near public transportation where I can enjoy nightlife, bars, restaraunts and the beach. Where is the best place to live?

2. I am 33 and I enjoy hanging out with a 28-35 year old crowd, How is the nightlife scene for the 30 and up crew?

3. Is there a professional happy hour/networking night or social events scene?

4. I enjoy live music, jazz, R &B, salsa, 80's, old school and some Hip Hop. Is there a music and fun dance/bar night scene?

5. What is the hottest time of the year and what is the coolest?

6. I have a Jeep Cherokee. Should I bring it or leave it?

7. Should I bring my furniture (not very much just a bed, couch, small pub Table and TV) or is it cheaper to rent furnished apartment?

8. I will likely be assigned to PR for atleast 2 years. What are fun weekend trips close to PR that I should take advantage of?

9. I have a passport and DC driver's license, can a live with that or will I need more?

Thanks!!

Welcome on Expat-blog Kaymi Ross! :)

The discussion has been moved to Puerto Rico forum.

All the best,
Christine

Kaymi Ross wrote:

1. My job will be in Guaynabo but I also really want to be in an area that is a close walk or taxi ride or near public transportation where I can enjoy nightlife, bars, restaraunts and the beach. Where is the best place to live?

All depends on your budget. If you can afford to spend $1000 or more on an appartment, you can go live in Condado or Old San Juan. That's where the action is (according to my 22 y/o daughter)

Kaymi Ross wrote:

2. I am 33 and I enjoy hanging out with a 28-35 year old crowd, How is the nightlife scene for the 30 and up crew?

See #1.

I can't answer 3 and 4 - I'm getting old I guess..

Kaymi Ross wrote:

5. What is the hottest time of the year and what is the coolest?

We're in the Northern hemisphere, so our 'summer' is in the same time as in the USA: July, August, September are the hottest months. That's also the time of the year for hurricanes by the way. :) Here's an overview of the average temperatures throughout the year: http://www.topuertorico.org/reference/tempera.shtml

Kaymi Ross wrote:

6. I have a Jeep Cherokee. Should I bring it or leave it?

I wouldn't take it. Transport and taxes here don't make it worth the while.

Kaymi Ross wrote:

7. Should I bring my furniture (not very much just a bed, couch, small pub Table and TV) or is it cheaper to rent furnished apartment?

I wouldn't take my stuff. You can rent furnished, especially if you rent from private people.

Kaymi Ross wrote:

8. I will likely be assigned to PR for atleast 2 years. What are fun weekend trips close to PR that I should take advantage of?

Close to PR there are Culebra and Vieques, two smaller islands that belong to PR. Also the Virgin Islands are a short plane ride away.

Kaymi Ross wrote:

9. I have a passport and DC driver's license, can a live with that or will I need more?

Passport is fine - you won't even need it since PR is USA territory. You will have to get a PR license, either by taking the test or exchanging your DC license for a PR license at the DTOP.