Residence Permit info

Hi,
This forums seems informative so I have a question or two :).

I am an American citizen and I want to get a residence permit to live in Turkey.

Am I able to get this permit without a job or studies in Turkey?

I would eventually like to look for a job but for the moment I just want to reside in Turkey for more than the tourist visa allowance.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to Expat.com mrslax!

Have you tried browsing the topics of the Turkey forum?
I don't have much info but i guess without studying or working it's quite difficult being granted a permit.

Regards
Armand

Armand is right, it is not possible without working or being a student.

it is no problem, if you can show 500 $ per month you want to stay, for example if you want to stay 6 month you have to show 3.000 $ on a (turkish) bank account or receipt of a change office.

Also you have to show an adress, means hotel reservation for the time you want to stay, a renting contract or something like that.
With these you can get a residence permit of max. 2 years (this is a long time tourist visa) BUT! With this you are NOT allowed to work or study. If you want, you have to change the residence permit.

hi no matter to stay in turkey ,but just to study turkish and winning residence for one year and learning the language so after u will find a very nice job as u are a native and can use english influently so u will pay just 900 for 6 months or 1800 for one year with job for more information u can reply

Retired american here wants to reside in turkey semi permanent. Is it possible and what will be required? Thanks

Tamina wrote:

it is no problem, if you can show 500 $ per month you want to stay, for example if you want to stay 6 month you have to show 3.000 $ on a (turkish) bank account or receipt of a change office.

Also you have to show an adress, means hotel reservation for the time you want to stay, a renting contract or something like that.
With these you can get a residence permit of max. 2 years (this is a long time tourist visa) BUT! With this you are NOT allowed to work or study. If you want, you have to change the residence permit.

thank you for your reply.

I can deffinetly afford $500/month.

Is this cost the same for two people?
for example, me and my wife?
Also, would we need separate residence permits?

If you are married, you have to show the $ 500 only once. But you have to get the residence permit separate each - and together. DonŽt forget your marriage deed, translated by an certified Translator and certificated by a notary (do it in Turkey, its much cheaper than in Europe).

Tamina wrote:

If you are married, you have to show the $ 500 only once. But you have to get the residence permit separate each - and together. DonŽt forget your marriage deed, translated by an certified Translator and certificated by a notary (do it in Turkey, its much cheaper than in Europe).

my fiance is from Iran, we plan on getting married in Turkey and then applying for the residency permit right after the marriage.
Would her being from Iran impact mine or her ability to get the residency permit? I hope us being married, lifts any restrictions on her getting a residency permit with me.

We will both be sharing a bank account with enough money to meet the living requirement.

thank you

http://antalya.pol.tr/index.php?option= … Itemid=920

Iranian citizen is same as USA citizen :-) for turkish residence permit.

so my bank account will cover her requirement to have a bank account as well or does she need a separate one?
will she need a tax id number too?

thanks for your quick replies!

if you are married, your bank account will cover your requirements both. She needs no different one.

But she needs of course an own tax number.

Feel free to ask if you have further questions ;-) I am a member of Alanya ForeignerŽs committee and those "problems" are our "daily job". ItŽs really NOT complicated....

Many foreigners live in Turkey without studying or working here, many come for their retirement.
To get a residency permit you must produce two copies of either the title deed (tapu) to a property you own here or a rental agreement, a Turkish tax number (very east to obtain)2 copies of your passport (showing the date of entry stamp)and 6 passport size photos.
Plus of course whatever the fee is at the time. You may or may not be required to prove you have money in a Turkish bank to support yourself (this seems to vary according to region).

I see you say that we dont need to work, while I have heard that the only way to get the RP is to have a job or study. Do either I or my fiance need to have a job in turkey in order to get a residency permit?
We don't plan on working right away.
We might get a job later.

You donŽt have to work or study, you just have to show $ 500 per month of your stay in Turkey - $ 6000 for each year. You can show it on a bank account (many foreign polices only accept turkish (euro, TL or Dollar) Bank account, some also from your home country, please ask before) or as monthly / yearly income. This may be a pension, rental income, alimony or whatever. You just have to show it over the whole time of your stay.

Tamina wrote:

You donŽt have to work or study, you just have to show $ 500 per month of your stay in Turkey - $ 6000 for each year. You can show it on a bank account (many foreign polices only accept turkish (euro, TL or Dollar) Bank account, some also from your home country, please ask before) or as monthly / yearly income. This may be a pension, rental income, alimony or whatever. You just have to show it over the whole time of your stay.

I have also heard that because my fiance is iranian, I have to get the residency permit first and then get the iranian embassy in turkey to validate our marriage, after that my fiance can get a residency permit as my wife.

DonŽt you  have an international marriage paper?

I really think that with this kind of issue you should perhaps contact the relevant embassies in Turkey (i.e. those of the US and Iran).
It wouldn't hurt either to ask the same questions of the Turkish embassies in both the US and Iran, and see if all the answers are the same.
My understanding is that under current legislation, Iranian citizens can enter Turkey for up to 90 days without a visa, but
can't buy a property here. My point is that rules can be different for citizens of different countries, and I think it would be advisable to be sure of your information for your particular situation.

Tamina wrote:

DonŽt you  have an international marriage paper?

They aren't married yet, they are planning on marrying in Turkey.

I want to thank you all for your helpful replies.

My fiance is going to contact the iranian embassy in turkey and inquire about the procedure to marrying a US citizen.

We are concerned with any issues that create difficulty in us marrying even if my fiance's father blesses our marriage.
Since my fiance has 90 days to stay legally in turkey, we hoped to accomplish the marriage and residency permit within these 90 days.

We have been looking further into moving to turkey.
Our biggest issue is finding an apartment.

I found some websites online which link to real estate which broker for Ankara.
The website is
hurriyetemlak.com

is this a good way of looking for an apt while not actually being in Turkey?
Anyone have any experiences with finding apartments to rent.
Also before getting the residency we will need a place to live, how open are renters to people from abroad?

Hi there,
Welcome to Turkey in advance. As they say in turkish language "Turkiye'de hosgeldiniz"

You can check http: sahibinden.com and hurriyetemlak.com both for finding an apartment.

I would recommend you to live in Izmir. Apartments are cheaper there if compared to Ankara or Istanbul.

Izmir has one of the best beaches & is the most modern city in Turkey. :cool:

For having funds in a bank account for the residency permit, can I deposit my money in an HSBC bank? or does the bank have to be a Turkish bank.