Cost of Living

hi

I wanted to know the cost of living in Rotterdam. as i have been offered a job in Rotterdam with Netto 3000 euros. Kindly throw some light. my family consists of me, my wife and my son 15 months old. whether the said salary will be enough for us.

Kindly do tell me regarding safety in Rotterdam.

Hello nbsmaniann and welcome to Expat.com.

Hope you will soon get reponses from other members.

All the best,
Aurélie

Yes, 3000 is more then enought. You will even be able to get a house loan.
Go for it :D

haha very funny

Hi

Kindly do tell me how much one need as Netto Salary to live a normal life in Rotterdam area, with a family of 3 members.

Hi, I just saw your post. It is dated 2012 but I am now in the same position as yours that time.
Can you tell me if you made your moving and if your salary netto is still enough for a normal life in Rotterdam?
Thanks.

I will soon be studying in Rotterdam, will 900 Euros be enough for monthly expenses including housing??? Please advise me. Thanks

900 is enough if you share a house, whit studentes en live easy

thats fine

Hi,

A salary of EUR. 3000,- netto per month is more than enough considering a basic rental apartment (2 bedrooms) costs about EUR. 600,- to EUR. 1200,- (luxurious) month. Gas/electricity/water and internet, TV about EUR. 100,- a max 150,-. Grosseries every month for 2 adults and a baby would be max. EUR. 300 a 500,- each month depending on your eating and spending habits hihi.

Than there is the issue of having car vs. public transport. This depends on the conditions you will be living in. For exemaple: will you be receiving a (lease)car from your employer? what will be the distance between your work and your (future) home? Etc. Etc. Very hard to give you an answer on this issue. But what ever the case public transport won't cost you much...and in most cases fuel cost will be compensated by the employer (especially when having a vehicle from the corporation).

So I would suggest that the salary is more than oke!

Gr. Chakir

I'm afraid it's not enough. Life is really expensive in Rotterdam. Renting a house will cost you at least 1600eur

This is not true. In order to demonstrate to you that is not true I have pointed a website with rental houses:
korrektwonen.nl/huuraanbod

Hi..
This topic seems inactive since long time. Can I actually restart it?
I am offered a salary of 2300 € net in Rotterdam. This includes the 30% ruling -which I don't yet understand how exactly works.
I am married without kids. My wife's job situation is unclear yet. So we have to live on this amount at least for a while. We need to rent a flat as well.
So, 2300 would be enough for living with OK standards? I will appreciate any tips from people with experience...
Thanks.

Hi Sasut,

Welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of the page is a link to the Handy Tools section of our Forum with links to articles you may find useful in planning your move to Holland.

The 30% ruling is a tax-free allowance that an employer is allowed to apply to salarys of employees hired from outside of the Netherlands who bring specific expertise to the Netherlands, it's a special tax ruling.  It's meant to recompense you (or your employer - they may not be passing on all the allowance) for the cost of bringing you to Holland.  So effectively, you are receiving a boost of 30% of your salary, paid tax free.

One thing to bear in mind; if you hate your new job and decide to work somewhere else; because you will already be in Holland, you wont get the 30% tax incentive at the new place.

As to whether you'll live on that figure, Amsterdam is very expensive; for a flat/apartment, figure on €1500 just for rent (Google it yourself) for somewhere decent, on top of that you'll have to pay Gemeente Belasting (local taxes), plus insurances, phone, TV and medical insurance for you and your wife.  Then you have to live; my own opinion is if you find somewhere outside of Amsterdam, it's doable, but when I consider that my daughter is getting paid more than you for a job that doesn't need any special expertise and it's on the other side of Holland where living costs are much cheaper, then I'm thinking that it's not so good.

As for your wife working; if she doesn't speak Dutch, she will struggle to get a well paid job.  Of course, there is always minimum wage bar work, cleaning jobs, but is that what she wants.

Really up to you; if you're really set on coming to Holland, then you'll make it work somehow.

Hope this has helped. :)

Thank you very much for your answer Cynic.
Actually we will be living in Rotterdam, not in Amsterdam. So I assume it will change the rent costs but the rest shall not be much different..

sasut wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer Cynic.
Actually we will be living in Rotterdam, not in Amsterdam. So I assume it will change the rent costs but the rest shall not be much different..

Apologies - my bad.  Rotterdam is certainly better than Amsterdam; it gives you much more scope to live away from the city and commute in.  A family friend lives in Breda and commutes in to Rotterdam by train (circa 45 minutes each way).  Rents in Breda are almost half the price of what I said.  You'll need to check ticket prices as from my experience, the Intercity runs on that line, there is a cheaper local train option, but that stops everywhere and takes ages.