Possible expat from U.S. to Rio/SP

Hello all. I am a Finance professional in the U.S. who would possibly love to relocate to Brazil. My only experience there a a visit to Salvador and Rio for a few days. What, if any, job prospects or roadblocks would I face trying to enter the market there? Also, I did some inquiring about a small business that I have on the side and I have a question: Is it REALLY that hard to import vehicles to Brazil??? Wow, I read some disturbing stuff...also what about importing other goods like clothes and electronics? Any and all info is appreciated!! Thanks.

Hi Nolazack,

Apart from the nightmarish bureaucracy and delay involved in trying to import a vehicle to Brazil from North America the tax you will have to pay makes the whole idea impossible. This doesn't even take into consideration the actual shipping cost. Even with a brand new vehicle that you've just bought you're much better off in the long run to bite the bullet and take the loss involved in selling it at a depreciated price and then applying that money toward the purchase of a vehicle here. Don't forget that right now your dollar is worth about R$1,75 so that will ease the pain a lot. You will likely need to top up the price you get for the vehicle a bit, but that's life.

The question is driving... you are only permitted to drive here in Brazil for a maximum of 180 days with an Inter-Americas Driving Permit (IADP) which also requires your valid US drivers licence. After that time you are required to have a Brazilian drivers licence. Don't make the mistake of asking for an International Drivers Permit (IDP) because that is not valid in Brazil, only the IADP is recognized here. And of course in order to stay in Brazil longer than 180 days you require some kind of visa other than a tourist visa. (i.e. permanent visa,investor visa, temporary work visa, etc.) all of which are another nightmare to obtain.

I've been here in Brazil for over ten years now and I am just now getting close to the end of this bureaucratic horror movie, even though I'm married to a Brazilian. My permanent visa is still in limbo. Maybe next month I will finally get the definitive answer and see the end of all the red tape.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

WOW...you are still in Limbo? I am  trying to wiggle my way into the professional sector since I am a dual degreed and seasoned accountant/auditor. I have heard that Sao Pauolo is a better profession al market but I LOVE Rio. I also have a couple online businesses that I would continue to operate but I would have to get my goods shipped to Brazil if I move. Im wondering if that is a headache also?? What is the policy on motorcycles in Brazil? I may have to chalk it up and just buy a scooter or bite the bullet on a scooter and ship it to Brazil. What do you think my chances would be at landing a finance job in the Brazilian market? Thanks for your input!!

Hi Nolazack,

Motorcycles, scooters, etc., are the same story as any other vehicle. Just needless headaches trying to bring them in. The major problem here is the MERCOSUL trade agreement which favors vehicles manufactured in Latin America to the exclusion of all others.

Your online businesses will be good provided that the income they generate is deposited to an account in the USA. You need a permanent visa in order to open a bank account of any kind in Brazil. So it is best if you have an international bank at home like Citibank, HSBC which operate here in Brazil. That way you can withdraw money at any of their ATMs, otherwise if you are using another bank that does not have operations in Brazil you will only be able to make ATM withdrawals at major branches of Bank of Brazil using specific ATMs that permit international transactions.... been there, done that, it was a huge pain in the A _ _! There is also a daily withdrawal limit of R$800,00 if things have not changed. Your USA debit card will not work here, however your VISA or MC will be just fine.

As far as obtaining work here your documentation must all be in order. You need a CPF number which is like a Social Security number but it is used for everything even your credit information. You will only be able to obtain a work permit (Carteira de Trabalho) with either a permanent visa or temporary work visa. To get a temporary work visa you need a concrete job offer, written, and the company must prove that they are unable to find a Brazilian who can do the job... pretty difficult hurdle. Generally speaking if you do find a job offer the company will usually help with all the government red tape.

São Paulo is the commerce capital of Brazil, while Rio is a close second I would think there are more opportunities here in São Paulo. The best bet for actually finding work is to check with multinational companies back home in the sector you are looking for to find out if they have operations in Brazil and if so are they hiring. While I don't have any figures I would think that the vast majority of foreigners who come to Brazil to work are actually transferred here from their present positions in companies in their home country.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

William...many thanks!!! I figured such with the bank accounts. It would not be a big hurdle to continue the online businesse. My only concern is that Im a seasoned Finance professional and would want to continue to be one over there. I will definitely look online to try and chart a strategy from US companies with openings over there.You are veeeery knowledgeable and helpful. THANKS again. Being as I grew up in the inner city, I would ultimately like to bring my entreprenuership mentality to the Favelas and help. Do you mind inboxing me with your thoughts and opinions on what goods/services are lacking the people in Rio/SP?:)