Converting an Australian Drivers License to a Maltese License

Hi all,
I am really new to Expat but it looks like a great way of sharing experiences and tips.

I have just moved to Italy from Australia and hold dule Citizenship (Australia & Malta). In Italy they do not reccognise my license and have said that i will need to do it all from scratch. This is very expencive and i will need to go for my motorbike, bus and truck all over again. I have been driving for more than 30 years and in Australia and find this hard to swollow. I have been informed that if i have a Maltese license this may be used in Italy indefinately. I am looking for any information i can in regards to getting my drivers license transfered to Maltese as i will be there during July this year. If anyone can give me some advice or a contact it will be greatfully appricated.
Mike

Hi Mike,

welcome to the forum.

Houston.... I mean Mike, we have a problem !

Malta would allow you to exchange your Australian driving licence for a Maltese one but .............. only if you have been resident for 6 months.

You are allowed to use your Australian driving licence for up to 1 year in Malta or the EU or until it expires if that is in less than 1 year.

But it might be worth a visit to TM to see if you can get around that but don't put too much hope in that as it is EU law that applies.

Cheers
Ricky

emailschem wrote:

I have been informed that if i have a Maltese license this may be used in Italy indefinately.

there is no such thing as a Maltese licence as such  -there is an EU licence issued by the Maltese.

As Ricky says, there is a standard EU wide rule that you need to be resident for 6 months before you can convert an existing licence (or take a test)

I have a Canadian license.... I thought that as both countries being part of the Commonwealth helps but no... so now I have been driving with my license for this 2 years and not planning to get one since I leave the island next year... yes.. to get insurance for the first time was a problem... but I managed! (thanks Malta):D

Ricky,
Thanks for the info.
Offically i have been in Europe (Italy) for 10 months and wonder if they will accept this as it is a member of the EU.
I was hunting and reading on their website which does not give to much info about this license conversion.

Thanks for the info, Ricky.
Houston OUT!!

no, you need to be resident for 6 months in the country you want to convert/pass in

Hi George,
Eventhough i have been in Italy for more than 6 months they will still not reccognise my Australian license, hence me trying to get it from Malta. It is interesting what you are saying about an EU license, i will look into this more but info on this subject is very hard to find and i have tried phoning the Dept Transport in Malta, that was interesting but not helpful.
If you have any other advice it would be appricated.
Mike

Hi Alf,
I hope that it was a pleasent experience for you as mine has just began.

Mike:|

Hi Mike,

the exchangability of non-EU driving licences is within the responsibility of each EU member state and ,due to historical ties, Malta accepts Australian driving licences for exchange , Italy does not ( many Maltese emmigrated to Australia and come back to retire in Malta).

You won't get around the 6 months residency in Malta to be able to exchange your Aussi licence for a Maltese one and that only applies to Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Mike,

the exchangability of non-EU driving licences is within the responsibility of each EU member state and ,due to historical ties, Malta accepts Australian driving licences for exchange , Italy does not ( many Maltese emmigrated to Australia and come back to retire in Malta).

You won't get around the 6 months residency in Malta to be able to exchange your Aussi licence for a Maltese one and that only applies to Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

agree