Utility Billing

As its been in the news, are any of you guys suffering at the hands of ARMs in not getting the residential rates etc, or are having trouble with the formal applications or landlords putting obstacles in the way of you getting them.???? If so let us all know

I had no problem getting residential rates - just showed the ID card, residency permit and tax number

me neither but just asking the question as there was a rather large article about expats being charged more and having difficulty getting the residential rates, despite having the correct paperwork.  All to do with whether its legal or not for the malti to discriminate against EU nationals in this way.

most of those people thought they had the right paperwork, but they didn't  as they didn't have the residency certificate - one of the people quoted admitted as such

its not discriminating on nationality, but residency

Q.....when a malti goes to live in UK do they have to get a res cert. and without it do they still get to pay the same rate as the locals?

"do they have to get a res cert" yes
"without it do they still get to pay the same rate as the locals?" yes

do Maltese who don't reside in Malta get the cheaper rates ? no

is it fair ? no - is it discriminatory ? yes (residents v non-residents)  - is it illegal ? apparently not

There is a further complication this year, in that Enemalta is actually charging less than cost for electricity as the govt won't allow them to charge the proper rate

we cannot get the lower rate as we reside in the UK but come to Malta often. However I do think it's an unfair system as we have paid a lot of our money into the Maltese economy through the purchase of our property and the purchase of all the goods inside it + paying the local tradespeople to do work for us. Every time we visit Malta we spend our money there and thus pay VAT etc and help to keep someone's business thriving. In fact a lot of money is put into the Maltese economy from folk either purchasing there or just visiting as tourists.

i would agree that it is discriminatory, unfair and very unjust. The sooner the EU opens their eyes to this the better for everyone.

the govt doesn't help their cause by claiming it isn't discriminatory, which it obviously is, as is, for example,  charging OAPs lower bus fares than other adults. Discriminatory isn't the same as illegal.

Discrimination not being illegal is hardly a great moral standpoint.. George.....

oh I agree, but the govt seems to believe only illegal things can be discriminatory

I  for one don,t have a problem with a government subsidising its residents (tax payers/voters) either by age or status. All countries do it in some form, even the EU discriminates against non EU residents.
America, Australia etc all descriminate against non residents/passport holders, just try going there to work!.
As I have said before removing the subsidy will not reduce the prices to non residents,it will just increase the price for residents.
The fact that some landlords charge more for electric is down to the renter sorting out his contract before signing, there are after all plenty more places to rent.

Terry

'Charging OAPs lower bus fares than other adults'- discriminatory?

London has been doing this for ages - supplements the OAP pension.  At least they can still get out and about when they are too old to drive!

yes, its discriminatory, as its favouring one group of society over another - I've nothing against it for OAPs, and thats my point - discrimination isn't necessarily illegal or wrong, it depends on the circumstances.

However, the Maltese govt is grammatically wrong in saying the electricity pricing isn't discriminatory - of course it is, and by saying it isn't they look stupid

:cool:

You won that round!

it is a massive perception of active discrimination...and i think it is completely wrong. However I see what George means - and also what Terry says too but without tourists who see it this very way taxes etc will go up anyway as the tourists will stop coming, many have said so already...Overall, it does depend on circumstances - but as we all become OAPs, if we are lucky, but not everyone is long term resident, some are short term or intermittently reesident like "This is England"... but we all pay taxes in one form or another and the EU are wrong in not putting this to bed and stopping it. Just another case of Malta playing with words.

Oh and by the way we have all had this discussion but its is not what the initial subject matter was about!

This is England wrote:

we cannot get the lower rate as we reside in the UK but come to Malta often. However I do think it's an unfair system as we have paid a lot of our money into the Maltese economy through the purchase of our property and the purchase of all the goods inside it + paying the local tradespeople to do work for us. Every time we visit Malta we spend our money there and thus pay VAT etc and help to keep someone's business thriving. In fact a lot of money is put into the Maltese economy from folk either purchasing there or just visiting as tourists.

whats to stop you applying for residency...? I know many people who have done exactly that and do exactly what you do! and am pretty sure they ve got the residential rates.

Hi Toon

We looked into applying for residency... we were sent from one office to another..then another.  No one could give us a straight answer. Everyone wanted to see a Maltese ID... but we can't get that because we don't live in Malta. They make stuff so complicated here. I've just arrive for 9 days to sort out the car which we have exported from the UK... let's hope that is not as complicated! Living in hope. Caroline

ID card, residency certificate and tax number are an all or nothing package.

How much of the year do you live in Malta, and do you live here for more than 3 months at a time ?

ps you can apply for a residency certificate without an ID card - on the form you can give a passport number

I am not sure how long I need to be here at any one time to get residency... over the course of a year, I could be here on 6 - 8 seperate occasions ranging from 1 week to 3 weeks each time.

our frends do the same as you and they have both....!

'ID card, residency certificate and tax number are an all or nothing package'

If you apply as a pensioner and are above the Maltese low income
threshold, would you still need a tax number if you prefer not to work?

If you are resident for more than 6 months in a calendar year you need a tax number even if you won't need to pay tax as you are supposed to fill in a tax return

This is England wrote:

I am not sure how long I need to be here at any one time to get residency... over the course of a year, I could be here on 6 - 8 seperate occasions ranging from 1 week to 3 weeks each time.

you need to be here (or plan to be here) for at least 3 months at a stretch to apply for ID card and residency certificate - from the sound of it you are a tourist not a resident.

If all your stays add up to more than 6 months in a calendar year, even if you aren't resident, you need to fill in a tax return

rooikat wrote:

If you apply as a pensioner and are above the Maltese low income
threshold, would you still need a tax number if you prefer not to work?

From memory, there is no "pensioner" category but a "self sufficiency" category which covers anyone not working - the fact you are retired doesn't come into it, what matters is that you pass the min income or capital requirements so as not to be a burden on the state

Right, got that, so does one have to get a tax number as part of the residence application even if not working and do a nil income tax return each year?

yep, you can't do a tax return without one - its also needed if you open an offshore bank account

"if not working " - you are still liable to tax on any income you bring into the country (with of course your tax free allowance and any double taxation treaty offsets)

naturally ID card, residency certificate and tax number are 3 different departments.....

Thanks George - didn't know that, just as well I asked. Have a time based flow-chart running of all the 'things' to be done both this side and Malta side, but that wasn't on it!