Flying to Europe with a 4-month old baby?

Hello all.

My husband and I are flying to Europe at the end of June, and for the first time ever we are traveling with an infant. Our daughter will be 4 months old at the time, and we are doing 2 flights within 24 hours, each flight of around 7 hours.

I was therefore wondering if any of you have any tips to share on how to best prepare her (and us!) for the flights? I have looked around online, but most tips refer to shorter (charter) flights…

Have any of you traveled similar long stretches with infants, and if so, how did it go? What do we need to know, do and bring to make the flights as easy as possible?

Any tips, advice or general help would be *much* appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Stinne.

Hello,
how are you? my husband is a pilot and this is the advice he gave. the most important problem there may have will be the balancing of pressure between there inner and outer ears. You have to make sure your baby is 100% fit and that he does not have any flu or something like this.
One important thing is to make the baby swallow often during climb and descent. this swallowing process will help the balancing procedure. (  by making him drink for exemple ) do not forget his stroller :-) will be useful between connecting flight and while waiting.
bring lots of diaper. also have you book a separate seat for the baby? like this you can take with you a car seat and you do not have to hold him all the time on your laps. he will be more comfortable on the car seat.
also bring some new toys so that baby do not get bored and start crying
hope this helps
have a nice flight. let me know how is goes. always good to know this kind of thing :-)
tura

Hello,
we travelled for the first time with our son when he was 9 months old.we took 3 flights, 7, 6 and 5 hours each. You have to inform the aircompany to give you front seats where there is some space to attach baby cot. Companies usually provide baby cots for kids under 1 year.
You will have to take some water for the baby to give her during take-off and landing, diapers, change for clothes and new toys:))Accordng to my experience,it's easier to travel with a small baby. She will just sleep most of the time and won't crawl or run everywhere and act up:))

Hi,
I have worked in the travel industry and also travelled round the world all my life. It is not all an issue. Request for a bassinet, when you make your booking. They baby will sleep most of the time,till she feels the air pressure during landing time. You can give her milk, water or breast feed her. It should be okay. The airline staff will be there to assist you at the aiport as well as in the aircraft.

Cheers!!!
Terence

we have travelled a lot with my babies... definitely take lots of nappies. If you are breastfeeding then try feed at take off and landing (even if not feeding time), it helps them swallow for pressure. Or if they take a dummy/pacifier then give them that. Try book your seats in advance to get a bassinet seat. this seat comes with a nice cot that you can put your baby in to have a sleep. Babies so young are very easy on the plane. It is no different than being at home except you cannot go anywhere.... At 4 months babies do not expect anything, and they have no clue they are flying. It is just take off and landing that can be troublesome for ear balancing. Good luck and happy flying! It is not as bad as you think!

hi, we have travelled with our 3 children regularly; they are now 10,6 and 2, but all travelled as babies long haul flights. If you are breastfeeding, this is magic because it helps with air pressure on landing and take offs; but also it reinforces the sense of security for the baby and this has a calming effect, on both of you in fact. If not breastfeeding use a bottle with water or milk for take off and landings. At 4 months the baby just needs his parents to be around, and that is fine; make your baby and yourself as comfortable as you possibly can; definetly ask for a front seat so you get the bassinet as it will really help. Drink plenty and give your baby plety of fluids too. Go and see your doctor a week or so before you go for any advise just for your own sense of assurance. oh! try to avoid doing vaccinations just before you travel! it will be fine, enjoy the flight! :)

Amazing advice, thank you so much all of you! I really appreciate it. It's good to hear that all will be fine from someone who has actually tried the process… and that flying with a small baby is not as bad as I think!

We have booked her (and me) a seat with a bassinet, so we should be okay. We are flying Emirates, and they provide a stroller during transfer in Dubai, so fortunately we do not need to bring one of our own. I have noted down all the tips you have mentioned, so now I feel much better prepared for the flights. I am actually looking forward to the trip now :)

/Stinne.

oh by the way, if you have long waiting periods at the airport and you can get access to the lounge, its a real help too! Heba