Postage

hi today i went to the main post office to post a letter to Australia by airmail, the lady tells me 500,000 vdn up to 1kg, is this right for a letter ?  $25usd. I walked out letter in hand feeling a little confused...

Same thing happened to me the other day. Plus the clerk wanted me to fill out a dang “COMMERCIAL INVOICE” Like it was cargo for export. All for1 letter that was 37g. She charged me 745,197VND. Christmas cards this year are getting mailed in Sept and going by boat.

ok problem solved, on Le Thanh Ton street just near the beach is a smaller post office. You can go in there and on the right is a counter for cards, envelopes etc. Ask for an airmail envelope...it only cost me 48,000 to send letter to Australia.

Make sure the postal clerk stamps / franks postage stamps in your presence, or uses a mail tape machine. They do it automatically at large offices.

This deters theft of stamps from postal items which results in their non-delivery.

When taking items for overseas delivery, it is wise not to seal them as postal clerks often want to check contents for customs (who nearly always open packages headed overseas.)

yes this time I went to the main post office. I asked for an air mail envelope. I didnt get it registered but they did run it through their machine and stamp it etc. Previously registration and postage cost me 50,000 for one air mail envelope. This time unregistered it only cost 15,000. Will be interesting to see if the envelope makes its way to  the Australian address. I will report back.

ok the unregistered airmail made it to Australia, cost 15,000...