New girl in Zurich!

Hey everybody!

My name is Kris and I will move to Zurich by the end of May due to my new job (I work in the hockey field). Currently, I am studying in an international degree program in Vierumäki, Finland. I am looking forward to get to know many other expats in Switzerland, especially from Canada and the US, to go or east out together, etc. :cheers:

I am very open-minded and I am looking forward to any kind of contact, even if you do not live in Zurich or Switzerland. Feel free to e-mail me at any time, I can guarantee, I will respond. :top:

I already look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes from Finland,
Kris

Welcome on board Kris!

Have you already prepared your move to Switzerland? I hope you'll get responses from other members :)

All the best,

Julien

Hey,
I'm not from the US and I don't live in Zurich, I'm in geneva, but I hope you'll enjoy to live in switzerland. It's a nice country, people are cool, even if cold, and you'll meet tons of expats in Zurich.
Good luck!
Kro

hi there kris.  i am in Orlando  florida. i have been all over the  world and lived in Ireland and Finland. how  do you like the  cold   weather  up there? lol
bye  for now  Pat in Florida

Hi Kris, Zurich is a nice town depending on where you choose to hang out. People can be a tad cold most of the time and not as "open" and freindly as Fins :-)
Its quite easy to meet ex-pats in Zurich as the community is quite large (25% of Switzerland is made up of Foreigners), try any of the Starbucks in Bahnhofstrasse or head out to "Tibits" in Seefeldstrasse for good Cafe Lattes and Vegetarian buffet food. Otherwise brunch on Saturdays or Sundays at "Bohemia Bar" also attracts a lot of expats on the day after the night before ;-)
When/if all else fails, any Irish/English Pub will find you in good hands.

Good luck & enjoy!

Val

Hi Kris

There are quite a few expats in Zurich, and its not too hard to get in touch with them.

Check out glocals.com - its an expat network in Switzerland, and there are always fun pople and activities there.

Good luck

Oded

Hey Kris,

How is Zurich, i'm thinking about moving there or somewhere in Belgium but i know is hard for Americans to get work permits to work in Europe unless i find a job and the employer will have to apply for it.

Hey, you know, I've been here now for 15 years, & shamefully,have never spent any real time in Zürich!
Am I missing something?
Where do I go, what should I see??
I live in the Oberaargau which is beautiful, but a bit of a backwater.
Anyone got any tips?

Hi Kris

I am excited because I will move to Zurich very soon too, in the next two to three weeks.  I have been traveling quite a bit around the world now and now that I've fallen in love with Zurich I can't wait to establish myself there.
I am actually in Zurich at present, I came for a three day visit one month and a half ago and haven't left yet.
Eventually I will go back to my home town Rome, in Italy, get my car, load it with my mountain bikes, cases, miscellaneous stuff and drive back to Zurich;  looking forward to the trip, it shouldn't take long, approximately ten hours, taking it easy.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, I don't play hockey but I like sports!

Ciao

D

Kris, how are you? I am an expat from Canada looking to meet some people with common interests.  What does your job consist of with hockey? I have been around hockey my whole life.  In fact my father used to run the hockey hall of fame, so I have been to many exciting games/induction ceremonies.  I have been staying up for all the stanley cup games loosing a lot of sleep over it.  I am here working in Zurich for an extended period of time and would like to sit down over a coffee and chat hockey.  Welcome to Switzerland!! its a beautiful country.

Hi there
I have just moved here. Would love to know more about Zurich and how youve been finding it and what there is to do. I am here for a few months working.

Angie

Hi there
I have just moved here.  I am here for a few months working.
Like Angie.

Gian

hi Kris
how are you
my name is Nicholas and I live in USA
I would like to be your friend
[email protected]
contact me
ciao

Hey guys,

I'm from Zurich and I haven't discovered much of my city yet. Yes yes, it's sad.... Got a special city map from a friend lately (alacartemaps.com) and found out that the Löwenbräu Areal has private galleries and a major art museeum in it. Would like to go there sometime. Would anybody like to join me?

Hello Kris,

I'm from the USA and traveled to Switzerland many times. The people are the most friendly in the world. I'm sure there will be many opportunities to meet others from your homeland and to mingle with many others from all over the world. There is so much to do and the summers are so nice. It's a picture post card every where you look.

Some day I hope to retire there.

Best Regards,
Fernando

Am I the only girl that is replying? :-P

I just moved to Zurich too, I'm Spanish but I'll be glad to meet for a coffee or a beer.

And yes there are many expats here but its not that easy to make friends if you are a little bit shy.

There are several topics here on the forum of people that want to make friends! So I'd suggest somebody takes things in hand and organize a meet-up!
- Create a new topic with a specific title such as [Expat.com meet-up + the date
- choose a theme (like a picnic in a parc, or an excursion somewhere, or whatever)
- a date and time (not to near as to let people organize themselves)
and see what will happen!
(I'm always asking enrolment by private message) and I compile a list of participants.... (we're doing it regularly now in Mauritius and it's fun; check out our forum).
Hope this will help
Arlette

Hi,
My name is Basheer.I am an Indian working as an Engineer in Kuwait.Also I am planning to move to Swizz in near future.Just seen ur comment as u r also planning to move to swizz..
So would like to know more about your plan and also about wat u do ,i mean profession.

I am actually planning to do a masters in engg and then to settle over there.It will be great help fro me if u can share some info about the migration and all.

have a great day ahead
Basheer

Basheer,
It seems you are a little bit off-topic with the subject.
So may I suggest you to start a new topic?
Also it would be good for you to browse the numerous topics of the forum as there are already many useful information there as well as the Guide of expatriate life in Switzerland which you can find in the menu on the lefthandside of the page!
Cheers
FeeAcer