What's in store for me in Riyadh??

What should i expect in Riyadh compared to other regions in Saudi.. :/

In what manner?

R.i.N wrote:

I think you will find a few more restrictions than you are used to in the East. Not so easy to get to the UAE from Riyadh.

You can draw 2 vertical lines and consider KSA in three parts. Western, central and eastern regions. Riyadh (central region) is midway in a big dry desert and is more restriction-oriented as compared to the other 2 regions.

More Restrictions and More Shopping Avenues, Oh and not to forget More IDLE EB members..... :P

Ah... :sosad: @Saimans
At least appreciate our passion to spare some time from our busy schedules for the online community.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Ah... :sosad: @Saimans
At least appreciate our passion to spare some time from our busy schedules for the online community.

@TLL - C'mon you know it was a PUN. I do appreciate all the efforts you people put in !!! :)

I found life in Riyadh (as a westerner) intolerable. As a woman, it would be even worse, I'd say.

jimod4343 wrote:

I found life in Riyadh (as a westerner) intolerable. As a woman, it would be even worse, I'd say.

It's about about attitude, my friend :)  If you think of it as being bad, yes, it's intolerable.  If you think of it as a learning experience, it's always interesting--something new everyday.

Alliecat wrote:
jimod4343 wrote:

It's about about attitude, my friend :)  If you think of it as being bad, yes, it's intolerable.  If you think of it as a learning experience, it's always interesting--something new everyday.

Alliecat

You are so right, if you have a closed western attitude, pack your bags and go home. This is a learning experience and part of the rich tapestry of life.

good place....beautiful desert...decent corals....sand storms....too many shopping malls....red sea and the beautiful sunsets....many useless and arrogant locals....a flying club....etc etc

TheLoneRanger wrote:

good place....beautiful desert...decent corals....sand storms....too many shopping malls....red sea and the beautiful sunsets....many useless and arrogant locals....a flying club....etc etc

:/ Amalgamation of all good and bad

Thank you guys for sparing some time to answer my question.. i'm going to be assigned there, right now i'm just waiting for my papers to be finished.

yeah, I've heard it's more stricter there in the big city compared in alHassa.. there we can go shopping without putting tarha/scarf on our head as long as we have it hanging on our shoulders. the only problem is, there's just one mall we can go to for two years..:rolleyes:

anywz, im looking forward to enjoy my limited OFF, knowing that there's a lot of shopping malls to choose from. im not a shopaholic, i just need a breather after a tiring week..just to unwind.. for ME, strolling around the mall helps to remove those stress u got from work..lol:D  well, i hope there would be a lot of coffeeshops for females too..so i can spend time with my girlfrnds who are assigned also in Riyadh..

Shukran katir..:)

Alliecat wrote:
jimod4343 wrote:

@Alliecat - "i believe that too.. and it also depends upon how u adjust yourself to a new surroundings and people". i hope, this time it would be more pleasant than before.. :)

R.i.N wrote:

there we can go shopping without putting tarha/scarf on our head as long as we have it hanging on our shoulders.

I never cover my head here.  And don't wear a scarf on my shoulders, either.  You can usually spot the mutawa coming--they're storming around with scowls on their faces.  Just step into a shop or whatever and they keep going after the easiest targets (usually Filipinas lol since there's so many of them)!

R.i.N wrote:

@Alliecat - "i believe that too.. and it also depends upon how u adjust yourself to a new surroundings and people".

I think attitude and how you adjust to new surroundings and people are the SAME thing.  With a good attitude, you adjust; with a bad attitude, you don't.

For me, when things get frustrating here, I've chosen to laugh rather than get angry. If you can appreciate the absurd, there's usually plenty to laugh about! :D

Alliecat wrote:

You can usually spot the mutawa coming--they're storming around with scowls on their faces.

On several occasions I asked Mutawas why there are always scowls on their faces and why they can't smile, and that made them smile at the time (The first time I witness it :lol:). I asked them: "Does the long beard tight the skin of their faces down that they always scowl?" "Do they need to look too serious to look religious" "Doesn't Islam say we should smile at the faces of people" That too made them smile and they couldn't defend it.

Alliecat wrote:
R.i.N wrote:

@Alliecat - "i believe that too.. and it also depends upon how u adjust yourself to a new surroundings and people".

I think attitude and how you adjust to new surroundings and people are the SAME thing.  With a good attitude, you adjust; with a bad attitude, you don't.

For me, when things get frustrating here, I've chosen to laugh rather than get angry. If you can appreciate the absurd, there's usually plenty to laugh about! :D

I agree and that's what I do myself! :D:

R.i.N wrote:

Well as a large city, you will quite a no. of attractive shopping malls, various fitness centres, bowling alleys, horse riding clubs, motor racing (if interested), desert safaris, golf clubs etc. There is more to it, depending on how well you adopt socially and you can almost find everything. There are quite a no. of female only events & exhibitions that happen around the year that will help you to know more about the city happenings.