Do you generally get 1 or 2 days off per week?

Hi,

I am looking to move to Mauritius, my husband is a chef, does anyone know if the standard in the hotel industry for chefs is 1 or 2 days off a week? It's a deciding factor for us as here it's just one day and we feel he doesn't have enough time with our 2 year old.

Thanks!

Hi MizzHK

The normal working week in the hospitality industry consists of 48 hours work, excluding time allowed for meal and tea breaks. This is usually spread over five and a half days.

In my capacity as ex-Human Resource Manager of a reputed international group in the hospitality, I can assure you that conditions of service, including the number of day-off, are negotiable.

As such, I would advise that your husband secures a copy of the contract through mail, and examines it well, and to discuss and settle issues on which he is not comfortable prior to his signing the contract and coming to Mauritius.

For sure, he would not be able to get everything to suit his comfort. It is more often a question of give and take, with more leniencies during off-peak season than during the peak season.

Hopes this enlightens you.

Cheers

Vayid

Thanks Vayid, really appreciate the info and advice!