Moving to Ethiopia with family....how is it there?

Hello fellow expats!

We are moving to Addis and were wondering what we should bring, can you easily access internet there and depend on it?  We would like to get a family pet also (a dog).  Is that a difficult task for an expat to do?  Things we certainly do not need but definitely do would be helpful!

Thanks!

Natalie

I have 2 nationalities - UK and Ethiopian (married to an Ethiopian). But was raised for years in USA (Texas). Ethiopia will be a cultural shock - depends on your life/travel experience. It will very different to the USA. I can give you a lot of advice if you can give me some idea of the circumstances of your stay - is it a holiday or long term move.

Hi, we are moving there long term for work. Maybe 5 years.  We have traveled quite a bit but I have never been to a 3rd world country other than Mexico. My husband has been to Peru.  We have both lived in UAE, Germany, Australia and all over the U.S.  We have 2 small children and are really looking forward to the experience.

I am into sports, travel, would like to work part time doing something and the girls will most likely go to an international school there in Addis.

Here is some advice - and remember I love the country and am used to its ways. Things happen slowly and will be very different to the USA - the best advice I can offer is to STOP think WESTERN and you will be fine. It is the 7th poorest country in the world and that will become clear. But in many ways it is a far greater country to live in than the USA and the UK - less rules!!!

There is a small but good western community - you can get internet - good housing and medical attention - and schools. Most Ethiopians speak English well so no language problems. Addis is not a big city at all. It is very high up so the air is thin. Banking is a huge problem unless you have a work/residency permit. Shopping for Western goods is limited. Cars are very very expensive - except for the new imports of Chinese 'Liffen' cars that do not have the high import tax - I would import a car from the USA (it has to be Toyota - or you not get parts).

There are plenty of good quality hotels and all sorts of budgets - so no problem there. You can rent a good house at a reasonable cost. You will be able to hire servants very cheap. Guides are easy to come by. My e-mail is [email protected] - Skype richard.lee0071. Hope this helps for now.