Urgent questions....

Roughly how much is a place in a good secondary school in Riyadh?

I have job interviews coming up for Riyadh and because I will be paying for my son's school out of my pocket i urgently need a rough estimate on costs.

i thank you guys in advance, and hopefully  look forward to joining u!!!

If no one gives you the answer you want try contacting the actual schools you will find a lot by simply typing schools in riyadh into google and just ask them what their costs are.

thank you loopylou, great suggestion. the only problem right now is i haven't had the interviews yet, so unsure about everything. dont even know what area, pay package they are offering...

will definitely type in general google search for schools... my head is slightly all over the place, lol i think im loopy right now lol

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

thank you loopylou, great suggestion. the only problem right now is i haven't had the interviews yet, so unsure about everything. dont even know what area, pay package they are offering...

will definitely type in general google search for schools... my head is slightly all over the place, lol i think im loopy right now lol

I don't know exact costs but I know if you want a western education for him, it's expensive.  In fact, might be so costly as to obviate what you'd planned to save.  I don't know but it's something to think about.

Also, I do wish you'd rethink bringing .. is he a teenager?.. to KSA.  It's extremely boring for them.  The teenagers where I live just wander around aimlessly and get into a bit of trouble (breaking street lights, for example) periodically for lack of anything better to do.  They're not bad kids--just lots of youthful energy and nothing to do with it.

hi alliecat,

Thanks for the reply! Yes he is a teenager. To be honest here in the UK I get worried about peer pressure, drugs, crime etc. A bit of boredom in comparison seems manageable, I'm a pretty strict parent and wouldn't let my son roam the streets without purpose. I don't know yet what sort of extra curricular activities are available, but trust he'll be enrolled in enough to keep him busy--- if I can find  them lol (OK slap me if I'm being over optimistic)

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

hi alliecat,

Thanks for the reply! Yes he is a teenager. To be honest here in the UK I get worried about peer pressure, drugs, crime etc. A bit of boredom in comparison seems manageable, I'm a pretty strict parent and wouldn't let my son roam the streets without purpose. I don't know yet what sort of extra curricular activities are available, but trust he'll be enrolled in enough to keep him busy--- if I can find  them lol (OK slap me if I'm being over optimistic)

Here's the thing:  there ARE drugs here.  And there's a lot of fairly  things we consider harmless that a teenager can get in trouble for--talking to girls, for example.  You'll be working--can't watch him 24/7.  Think about it.

Hi Alliecat,

I really appreciate that you are thinking of my son's best interest and advising me as a newbie to Saudi. I am new to Saudi, however neither me nor my son are new to the segregation culture between genders. As a strict practising Muslim it is something I have taught him from a young-ish age, all the religious barriers others struggle to over-come to me would be a breeze.

Kids getting into trouble due to boredom is something which happens in all countries. One of my inspirations for moving is finding my neighbours 8 year old son smoking. I'm hoping that between school, Islamic studies and some recreational activities I may eliminate the chances of him getting bored.

I do totally hear where your coming from and I am grateful that you've taken the time out to write your advice. It has not fallen on deaf ears rather you have made me more aware of how active I need to be in keeping him occupied.

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:

Hi Alliecat,

I really appreciate that you are thinking of my son's best interest and advising me as a newbie to Saudi. I am new to Saudi, however neither me nor my son are new to the segregation culture between genders. As a strict practising Muslim it is something I have taught him from a young-ish age, all the religious barriers others struggle to over-come to me would be a breeze.

Kids getting into trouble due to boredom is something which happens in all countries. One of my inspirations for moving is finding my neighbours 8 year old son smoking. I'm hoping that between school, Islamic studies and some recreational activities I may eliminate the chances of him getting bored.

I do totally hear where your coming from and I am grateful that you've taken the time out to write your advice. It has not fallen on deaf ears rather you have made me more aware of how active I need to be in keeping him occupied.

Thank you so much for hearing what I have said in the manner in which it was intended.

NOW I have something very funny to share with you.  I thought you were an American living in Alexandria, VIRGINIA :lol:  My bad!!!!!!!!!!! 

So of course you know this culture and you're Muslim and know the language yada yada yada  You're not the typical *newbie* we hear from so my concern for you and your son just vanished POOF! 

Best of luck :)

Lol, does it still say I'm living in Alexandria? I've come home London-UK till I get the job. I was in Egypt for nearly 5 months.

lol the advice still applies so it was not wasted. thank you!

I don't speak Arabic, raised nearly all my life in UK, picked up some Arabic in Egypt and Yemen - can get by but nowhere near fluent.

Hi Btwn-fear-n-hope,

The American Secondary school is about 40,000Sar per year but there is a high percentage of Saudis.
The British School is about 13,000Sar per term, that is for junior school so I should think it will be more expensive for Secondary School.

Don't know about the multi-national but it is something to Google.

Best of luck.

Thank you sandy storm,

is there only one British school? I mean as the capital I'm assuming one British school is a disadvantage if you are not in the local area right?