Harassment

Hi everybody,

I am french and I ve been living here in Cairo since one year.
I belong to a group that fight against harassment.
facebook.com/groups/352055058192704/

(translation in english is under progress)but feel free to add your comments.

I guess as a foreign women who may have faced this problem already -
We are planning to print some stickers for an awareness activity and we would like to make some in english for the expat people (because this problem is concerning us as well)

IF you have any experience you want to share, or sentence you may propose to print, you are the most welcome.

One sentence til now has been proposed :
''Touch my ass, I ll kick your balls''

Please give us your point of view and propositions.

Thank you,

L.

I think it depends on the area you are living in .... also if you print this specially in Arabic it may stimulate those who harass more...

Hello Lima, First i never recommend posting a sentence like the one you proposed.look..the idea it self is really great and recently i've been discussing it with a girl from Austria ,but to face this you need to be aware of the community you are trying to solve this problem inside..simply, to know how to act and deal with a community.and to do this you need to be aware of the culture to a great extent,aware of how people think,what they accept what they don't .you have to have egyptians in this campaign to help,because as i see (with the sentence you proposed) seems many things are missing your campaign,because sentence like this will get things worse really..i am ready to help because i am one of those who really feels sad whenever i see this happening as it gives a false picture about egypt and the egyptians.anyway i am ready to help,just pm me with more details about what you exactly do or want to do,etc..

Hi,

I complety agree with what you say. this sentence has been proposed and discussed with the group few days ago...  I do agree that this is shocking a lot, and will probably don t make much sense out of places like Maadi or zamalek... After a while they proposed to remove the ''balls'' and put ''...'' instead.
Regarding the community and how to be aware of it, it is also plan to create like a small booklet with all details for the foreign to know how to deal, what to say, what not to do ... kind of this things ...
when you say it give a ''false'' picture of egyptians, it gives me the feeling that there is a deny behind it. THis problem is real - and much more complecated that it seems and a simple campain like this one doesnt deal with the all matter.

If you want to help anyway please join the group.

Thanks for your advice,

L

Magnum Psyche,

Yes, the idea is to make different kind of stickers
- In arabic to talk to the one who harassm (already has been disgned)
- In arabic to talk to the Egyptian women (same)
- in english to talk to the foreign community in Cairo (on progress)

The objective is basically awarness ...

I can't see where i denied that . i think by taking a look at what i said just before the part you didn't like "am ready to help because i am one of those who really feels sad whenever i see this happening" ,you will discover i don't deny it . i only wanted to say that these people have a big problem and needs awareness

good luck anyway

ok I really dont know why you feel offended, it was really not my attention.
Sorry if you felt it this way.

Wake up, people! We are in 21st century...:unsure...
This doesn t work, at least here! If you want to be respected, dress in an appropriate way, behave nice with dignity in public places, and don t forget: " When you go to Rome, behave like Romans!"
The education must start from the families, schools. Wearing stickers could be ridiculous and could excite boys and men that already are " scared" when they see a woman!

valibilic wrote:

Wake up, people! We are in 21st century...:unsure...
This doesn t work, at least here! If you want to be respected, dress in an appropriate way, behave nice with dignity in public places, and don t forget: " When you go to Rome, behave like Romans!"
The education must start from the families, schools. Wearing stickers could be ridiculous and could excite boys and men that already are " scared" when they see a woman!

Well said Valibilic ....:top:

I am not offended Lima don't worry . I was just trying to clarify some point that you might have got wrong . i am already on the group now,looking forward to do some action

Valibilic your words are really of value . this needs to be started with students and children from scratch to avoid this awful behaviors ,,but what about adults who already have the problem?I think there must be something to do..

Mothers, sisters, wives must change their minds, not women from the street, not stickers!
Changing the mentality lasts, it s not an action for a short period.
And the attitude of " easy going" of some foreign female visitors in Egypt creates this mentality, too.
So, don t throw the stones till you find out why these men behave like this. Leave a good trace and image, if it happens to spend a period of time here

I do agree with you,
But for the women to change their minds, they need to have tools ... I believe everything will change through education, but through a fair and equal education... not an education as a product from the man domination.
All these have been theorized by Pierre Bourdieu for example, (and many other people)... the source of this problem is not only egyptian ...
Harassment it's just one of the ''facade'' -  women on the street are mothers, sisters, and wifes... stickers are just a way (amongst billion) to make them face their own truth and stop feeling ashamed of it (because most of them do).
I guess everybody is quite aware that nothing will change through stickers...
And regarding the ''easy going'' attitude of some foreign women maybe yes, but it does NOT justify (neither explain) the fact that Egyptian men keep on harassing Egyptian women.

I don t know if you saw the movie ''678'', I recommend it.

LimaG wrote:

And regarding the ''easy going'' attitude of some foreign women maybe yes, but it does NOT justify (neither explain) the fact that Egyptian men keep on harassing Egyptian women.

Salaam LimaG,

I agree with u, to try to put the fault of harassment on women...IŽm speachless!

Wish u courage with ur iniciative, itŽs great that u take the time and energy for it.

Maa salaama