Should I take the plunge? Not the 'typical' expat scenario

Thank you to everyone who has posted information on this wonderful resource!
I have read many posts but I would like to seek more specific advice from employers or parents about possibly relocating to HCMC with my 6 year old son.

Background:
No gap year for me, straight into full time employment in Australia after completing year 12 studies, settled down into family life, now raising a child.....on my own and working FT in the Commonwealth Public Service.

I have worked in the private and public sectors, procurement and contract administration, web and multi-media project management, office management, accounts processing, and partial studies in Interior Design. My intention was to spend 3 months in HCMC late this year looking for work and if successful, pack up my home in Canberra and move with my son in 2013.

I'm wanting to experience life outside our little home,
with my son, wanting him to be exposed to the richness of life through travel...I am open minded and want to offer this perspective to him.

I have created a list of the pros and cons, but I would appreciate any view points from employers and or parents living in HCMC about the viability of this plan, which could be short or long term. I have travelled to Vietnam and love the country, is it ludicrous to move us to HCMC?

Many thanks in advance
Susan

Hi Susan!

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for the introduction.
I hope other members will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Hi Susan,

well you're right about one thing, it's not a typical question.

Firstly I would say what do you intend to do here for work? Once you have that sorted then everything else is easy (ish)

I know people who have moved here with young children, but I'm not aware of anyone having done so as a single parent. I'm guessing the father is not on the scene in any way? If that's wrong how do you anticipate keeping him as part of your son's life?

Vietnam can be tough here as a single woman, but there are some good support groups for expats and families so I wouldn't let it put you off too much. As you've already said you're in a slightly different scenario than most.

Children's education here can be expensive in terms of schooling, but again I'm guessing he's not of school age yet?

At the end of the day only you can make the decision as it's not just your life it will be affecting. Would I do it, if I were in your shoes? Yes without a doubt.

hth
Sean

Thanks Sean, you've given me a few more things to ponder! Like you say though.........carpe diem!

Hi Susan,

With a 6-year old child, as much as I personally love Vietnam, I don't think it is the best place for you guys.

I believe that your child is at the age where he needs to be indoctrinated into the "proper ways" of thinking and doing things; and I do not believe Vietnam is the right arena for you to do that.

It can be a lot cheaper and you guys can have a lot more funs here, but when it is all said and done-when it all counts, he might not be all that far ahead of his peers, or gained that much from the experience. 

Children play to a whole different set of rules.  I can understand if your child is 2 or 16.  But 6???  Please think good and hard about your next move.

Warm wishes,
Howie

On a different note,

You seem to be an industrious and multi-talented person; and English is your native language.  Have you ever considered coming here and teach English??? 

Now, if that is really within you and you are able to hook up with a good institution here, then Vietnam is a path worth looking into.  Not only that it will be easier for you to find steady work, but you will have a more direct influence upon your child's education or training, while you guys are here.

Yes, dig deep, Susan!

Best of luck,
Howie

^^ What Howie said :)

Teaching here is a good avenue to pursue and even if it's not a log term gig it would provide steady income/work while you find your path.

From talking to my friends who teach they all find it very rewarding here too.