Moving from USA to Italy

Hi Everyone,

I need as much help/advice/info I can get please please please and thank you!!

I'm currently 20 and live in the US, and I am HIGHLY considering moving to Italy. I'm blessed enough to be the type of person who, if I really want something and put my mind to it, I can make it happen.
I went there almost 4 years ago and I absolutely fell in love with it. My family is exactly like Italian/Greek cultures so when I was in Italy in 09, i felt so at home it freaked me out a little bit. And when I returned to the US, I felt so out of place I honestly couldn't believe it.

I've gone back and forth with deciding what I want to do with my life (but you don't have to know that, it's a long story haha). And I think I would be completely happy if I just worked an average job and just lived comfortably in Italy for the rest of my life, rather than living in luxury (and 5 million pounds of stress and anxiety) in the US.

I currently work at Apple, so I was thinking I could get transfered to the store in Rome?
I would also plan on finding an apartment to share or just look for a rented room, and I am assuming I would be able to make a decent living that way.

I'm only nervous because I don't know what expenses are like there, so I don't know if working at Apple alone would allow me to keep up with my expenses. I was thinking about picking up a bar-tending permit because I heard it makes good money and I guess if Apple isn't enough I could pick up a job like that.

I don't really know anyone who could accurately tell me if I'd be able to make it or not, so I stumbled upon this forum and was so happy.

I would gratefully appreciate anyone's help, if you could tell me what you think or give me any advice/help on that?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond!

Sincerely,

Lost, Stressed, and Can't Decide

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Nella379!

Don't hesitate to browse the Italy forum. You will certainly find answers to your questions in the various threads.

Regards
Armand

Hi Nella,

My first piece of advice would be to look at the regulations and requirements regarding obtaining a work permit for Italy. 

Unfortunately, with the current economic climate, it is not easy to obtain work here as a foreigner even if you are highly specialized in your field (medicine, research, engineering or architecture).  It is difficult enough for Italians to get these jobs!  I think it would be next to impossible to be transferred from a store like Apple in the position you are in, even if you are a fluent Italian speaker.  Perhaps in a higher administrative role there are opportunities abroad? 

My advice is to explore options for study abroad or look into work as an au pair and develop or refine skills that make you a viable candidate.  Good luck!