Thinking about moving to Pune for a year

Earlier in the year I spent a month in Pune with my husband and 2 girls. We had a good time and have been thinking about going to live there for a year. My parents are originally from Pune but I was born in the UK and my husband is English (WHite).

The main thing putting me off is whether it would be a good idea to uproot my children. People keep saying I should do it now before they reach high School (they are 8 and 6). I have no idea how the school system works in Pune but would ideally want them to attend school for that year. Also, I read a not very encouraging article in the Pune Mirror about how 60% of school children are unwilling to accept people from other states in India never mind other countries!

Can anyone tell me where I can find how the school system works? Would it just be a case of contacting schools (in the UK the govt will find your local school if you call them). Also, are people really that intolerant in Pune? - I certainly didn't pick up on it when I was there!

Thanks in advance,
Monica

Welcome to Expat.com Monica!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.`

Thanks Harmonie! I hope so as I am struggling to find any info!

Hi....Its very safe place and very nice education system. There are number of English medium international schools.Try to find location near Koregaon Park or Kalyani Nagar.
Best Luck..

Thanks Ramesh, I will be staying in Erandwane if I do go there as my family has a place there. I'll try and contact the international schools from here. When we were out there we visited 'New India school' and it seemed nice but I don't know much about it.

Hi Monica,

You can try to find other international schools like Amonora or sharad pawar international school.
also Mercedes Benz international school  is really reputed school which follows some different methods of teaching.

Prachi