Working on a 3-5 year plan...

Hi people!

Im Neil, and I wanted to give you a little background info about me before I started asking questions. I am currently living in Ireland and seriously considering relocating. Im working on a 3-5 year plan to get out of Ireland and Mauritius was highly recommended to me by one of my close neighbors (Mauritian national).

Ive lived in a good number of countries and wouldnt be a stranger to relocation except this time I would be bringing a wife and 2 daughters with me. I currently work in the advertising sector as a graphic designer and photographer (fashion and product - even do weddings on the side) with about 15 years of experience in the field.

Here are a few questions I hope you can kindly answer for me.

My French is fairly bad and I was wondering if I could get by using English? Obviously including work. I speak English and German fluently.

How easy is it to start up your own business (in my field of work preferably), starting off as self employed? I think my target clients will be medium sized businesses and I would obviously offer wedding photography.

Would it be easy enough to earn the Rs600,000 required income (self employed)?

Whats the minimum amount of money would you suggest that someone needs to bring with them to get by? I know its a broad enough question but Im sure a number of you know how much you spent while relocating. What I am trying to do is to see how much money I need to save before even considering the move.

I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!

Another thing I forgot to ask is; does Mauritius recognise a common law wife as a dependent or not? I know I mention my "wife" in my earlier post. It is actually my partner and we have 2 daughters together.

Looking forward to any responses.

Thanks again!

Welcome on Expat.com Neil !

Speaking French is not mandatory, as everybody is supposed to be bilingual here. Of course it could help but everybody speaks English here.

It is quite simple to work as a self employed in Mauritius. You should have a look to the work in Mauritius guide and the Visa Mauritius guide, it may help...

Easy to earn 600,000rs ? It depends on your business, customers etc ... would you work with locals only, or would you also work with european companies (for example)?

The minimum amount of money you should bring? Not an easy question. Consider than you won't receive any income for a few months as your business will be quite new, that you'll have to send your children to school ... My situation here (I was single when I arrived here) is quite different, so I can't really help on that point.

About your partner, I guess things would be much easier it you get married

Hope this helps,

Julien

Julien,

Thanks for your reply!

My plan is to come over to Mauritius for a vacation early next year and see as much as I can in regards to way of life and business opportunities. At this stage, I cant wait to see it for myself as Ive heard so many positive things about Mauritius and with life in Ireland deteriorating day by day, it will make only Mauritius gleam even more.

I can imagine that I will have some international customers (some that I have already), but I would like do as much as I can with the local market as I am sure theres no better way to get to know the people and French of course :)

As for the money, I guess I will have to add up the costs shown in your guides/forum and see whats realistic and obviously make sure I have a buffer in regards to financial security.

Marriage, oh dear! :) You have already made a new friend! She is only going to love the idea!

Budget for wedding vs budget for Mauritius relocation. hmm! :)

Thanks again!

Neil

You should have a look to this discussion on the forum: cost of living in Mauritius

What about a wedding in Mauritius ? That would be much more romantic ;) (I guess she'll love that idea!)

Hi Neil, there is a lot of competition locally. My neighbour, who works full time in advertising even gets to tout his stuff at the Cannes Film Festival. You should not rely on the local market.

Hello everyone,

@vasoov, Neil's posts are from 2009, it is better to participate on more recent threads of the Mauritius forum.

Thank you,
All the best,
Bhavna