Close

Has anyone gone through the simplified naturalization precedure?

blonder :

The fun begins when you have to get res card, TAJ card, tax number etc.  that was more difficult than simp nat.  Glad I'm done everything.  Now If Budapest overpriced apt would drop in value so I can buy:)

Blonder, this touches on something, I've looked into but don't fully understand. What are our obligations if we receive HU citizenship? I'm currently under the impression that one doesn't need to pay HU taxes if not actually living in the country.

Personal income tax for Hungarian citizens
Personal income tax in Hungary is flat - 15 percent.

Deloitte - Hungary Tax Highlights 2017.

Check on page 3, Personal Taxation

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/D … s-2017.pdf

Also
Deloitte Taxation and Investment in Hungary 2017

Check on page 24 - 6. Taxes on Individuals

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/D … e-2017.pdf

6.1 Residence

Individuals with Hungarian citizenship (excluding dual citizens with no permanent residence in Hungary) and foreigners with a Hungarian settlement permit are considered tax residents.

So if you are dual citizen (American and Hungarian, and you don’t live in Hungary for 183 days or more, you don’t pay taxes on your worldwide income to Hungary. Of course you have to report and pay taxes on your worldwide income to IRS as American citizen).

Hope this will help you.

According to Wikipedia, Gorlice was in the Austrian part of Austria-Hungary.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorlice

“As a result of the first Partition of Poland (Treaty of St-Petersburg dated 5 July 1772), the town area was attributed to the Habsburg Empire. (for more details, read the article Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria). In 1806, the Austrian government sold the town to a local nobleman, Jan Nepomucen Stadnicki of Roznow.

Until 1918, the town remained part of the Austria side (Cisleithania) after the compromise of 1867, head (since 1865) of the county with the same name, one of the 78 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Austrian Galicia province (Crown land).”

SSSnoopz :

Everything I've read on the consulate's website seems to point to me being eligible for regular citizenship by decent, which I sure hope I am since I can't speak a word of Hungarian and neither can my father nor anyone alive in my family. My grandfather was born in Hungary (yes modern day Hungary) and emigrated to the US well after 1920. Based on everything I've read, all I need to prove my citizenship is a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate, marriage certificate, and any document proving his residence in Hungary after 1920.

This all seems too good to be true, is there any catch to this that might force me to go through the simp nat process?

A bit late, sorry. I read all your posts and just want to clarify a few things that people may not have addressed because my situation sounded a bit similar to yours.

You should avoid simplified naturalization if you can because you don't know Hungarian and in my opinion citizenship through ancestry/descent is easier. However, I need to point out your father should/would also be applying with you if it is through descent ie: if you are eligible, your father is also and it can't skip him and go to you. I mean, simplified naturalization is doable with some Hungarian lessons, but I've heard from several people and in this thread as well, that you're kind of at the mercy of the person interviewing you.

You said your grandfather was born in present day Hungary, so your next step would be to request a copy of his birth certificate from a Hungarian Consulate (or if you have it, great). Attempt to verify he never lost his citizenship for any reason and try to see if you can get ahold of your grandfather's marriage certificate as well. Then you'll have to gather documents on your mother and father, their marriage certificate for sure assuming there is one, and their birth certificates (even if your mother isn't applying!).

Would it be best if I did this back home in the USA or elsewhere? I am currently living in Europe so even going to Budapest and doing everything there wouldn't be a challenge.

It's hard to say. I would honestly contact your region's Hungarian Consulate in the US and ask their opinion. For me personally doing it, at probably the busiest Hungarian Consulate in the US, took 18 months for my paperwork and passport to arrive.

Whichever route you take, it isn't going to hurt to have anything and everything handy that may include birth certificates and marriage certificates especially. The latter are often overlooked by people submitting documents.

Thanks for the info! I'm currently in the process of tracking down all the birth and marriage certificates. I've also been told I need some document proving that he resided in Hungary after 1929, when apparently the laws were changed to not strip emigrants of their citizenship. A record of school attendance would probably be best. The only detail I'm nervous about is the fact that my grandfather served in the U.S. Army during WWII and may have been forced to renounce his Hungarian citizenship prior to my father's birth.

Expatriate health insurance in Hungary

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Hungary

Moving to Hungary

Find tips from professionals about moving to Hungary

Travel insurance in Hungary

Enjoy stress-free travel to Hungary