Seriously thinking of job relocation

Hi all,
My company recently asked me to work in Riyadh, and I am trying to determine whether the package is good.  I have about 4 years of engineering experience and will be working for a year and 3 months.

All info is preliminary, but I would be getting around 23,000 SAR monthly, and 7000 SAR for living expenses, and 1 free trip to the US after a year.  I will be getting an Iquama, but won't be living in a compound.

Also, any questions I need to specifically ask my company?  I've read that you typically get 1 month of vacation and paid Ramadan, Hajj  and National Day.   

Thanks for any info you can provide!

:mad: 30,000 SAR ONLY for a 4 years experienced American engineer? You can get much better offers @Casual-Swimmer.

You are saying that your company gonna send you to Saudi, for 30,000 riyals!
what about your housing, are they gonna pay for it or you have to rent it yourself?
what about your Health insurance? Transportation?
Usually yes, you got paid for Ramadan, Hajj and National Day holiday.

I don't know, but if you can accept the offer for this year so you can see the environment here, if you like it you can look for another offer.

All the best :)

Okay, let's get this straight.  Ramadan lasts for a month and since you will work every day, of course you will get paid.  It is NOT a holiday!!!  There are 5 working days after Ramadan (Eid) which you will have off (this is the holiday) and you will be paid.

Jaysus....how much do you engineers typically get paid then? 30,000SR is 6,000 Euro / $8,000 a month?

Hi,

this is a fair pay ONLY if housing is paid by Co otherwise you should rethink about the offer. I'm saying so as the real estate market in Riyadh is always going up, therefore u may end up paying one third of your income for accommodation. Is the company willing to cover the transportation? hope yes. Location of your office in Riyadh will determine housing+transportation expenses. I'd recommend you to stay in a compound unless u have a spouse. 

Good Luck

Casual-Swimmer wrote:

Hi all,
My company recently asked me to work in Riyadh, and I am trying to determine whether the package is good.  I have about 4 years of engineering experience and will be working for a year and 3 months.

All info is preliminary, but I would be getting around 23,000 SAR monthly, and 7000 SAR for living expenses, and 1 free trip to the US after a year.  I will be getting an Iquama, but won't be living in a compound.

Also, any questions I need to specifically ask my company?  I've read that you typically get 1 month of vacation and paid Ramadan, Hajj  and National Day.   

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I am a UK national and get a house on a compound paid for that's about 30,000 SAR a year 4x4 & fuel provided (fuel is about 0.21 $US), also get 4 business return flights a year on top of my initial arrival and departure. Health insurance is covered as well as the Iqama and driving licence costs and 41 days paid holiday which includes the National day, Hajj and Ramadan holidays. Just be aware that a lot of companies if you take 2 weeks include the weekend between so 2 weeks isn't 10 days its 12.

If you can get somewhere near that and the 30,000 SAR a month then you're in the park!

Hi Martin Fin,which compound did you get your housing for SR 30000?I haven't settled my accommodation with my employer.I am still looking for a housing-one bedroom or bachelor in a compound.

That is what my company paid for 12 months on the Arabian Homes compound Barada Village I didn't pay personally but saw the payment conformation.

Thanks for the information everyone.  Business travel is paid for but I only get one free trip back to the states.  Health insurance is covered, but I believe the 7000 SAR monthly wouldn't cover living expenses if I was to live in a compound, which is not guaranteed.

Hi everyone, Is there a website that posts typical salaries for expats in Saudi Arabia?

Depending on what your experience is and what you will be doing here exactly, 23,000 + 7,000 for housing seems like a very reasonable offer.

Lots of companies are doing restructuring and the salaries are all being adjusted this year, too many over paid incompetent expats have been flooding the business sector here and I'm glad to see businesses are finally waking up.

beezer wrote:

too many over paid incompetent expats have been flooding the business sector here

I wish I was an overpaid expat lol  btw, hi beezer!  good to see you again!

You have to be incompetent to be overpaid :) Hey, yeah. A bit of a slow day today so I thought I'd do some catching up :)

beezer wrote:

too many over paid incompetent expats have been flooding the business sector here

:up:

This is a well mature statement. Seriously, you get to know this when you have to look for resources. Most manpower out there is CRAP expecting high numbers.

bottom line, if u get annual house rent allowance as well equal to at least 3 times your basic pay (i.e 30000 x 3= SR 90000/ annually as HRA) then its worth coming..

Thanks everyone.  I agree that the annual house rent allowance will probably be the main sticking point as after 3 months I won't be getting free housing.  I've read renting an apartment in a compound costs 10,000 SAR annually paid in full, and does not come with appliances like refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers etcd.

Casual Swimmer

not sure where you are getting a compound apartment for 10,000.00 a year!!

i have just moved from Arabian Homes compound in Yanbu, WHICH IS THE SAME GROUPS AS riyadh and my company wa spaying 110,000.00 sar a year with 6 months up front and 10,000.00 as security deposit. Water and electricity also billed monthly!!!!!
I am in DQ right now in a 1 bed apartment that is 85,000.00 per yera and you have to pay extra for the sports club!!!!!!
Dr Malik has it spot on 3 x monthly salary need sto be paid in advance by the company!! with rental agreement in company name so you are not responsible for any debt that may occur on the property.
Keep you personel liabilities to a minimum!!! lets be honest some companies are still not that great at paying salaries on time !!!!!

just my few pennies worth

Trev

Casual-Swimmer wrote:

I've read renting an apartment in a compound costs 10,000 SAR annually paid in full, and does not come with appliances like refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers etcd.

:mad: I think you missed a 0.

Casual-Swimmer wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I agree that the annual house rent allowance will probably be the main sticking point as after 3 months I won't be getting free housing.  I've read renting an apartment in a compound costs 10,000 SAR annually paid in full, and does not come with appliances like refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers etcd.

it must be a typo.. you can never rent an apartment at this rate in a town even.. apartments start from 35000 annually upto upper limit as far as you can imagine..