Newbie here - relocating to Malta end of August

Hi all,

Myself, partner and 15 month old daughter will be relocating to Malta end of August (possibly Sliema/St Julians areas - flying over next week to pick our area). 

I've been trawling various sites to try gather as much info as poss in preparation for the move and luckily stumbled across this site which seems full of great info and like-minded people :)

Any info/advice anyone can give on relocating to Malta/nurseries/expat groups/best places to live etc will be greatly appreciated :)

Sarah :)

Hi Sarah,

welcome to the forum .

You will find a lot of information about most of your questions in previous posts.

Feel free to ask any specific questions that remain.

What are your criteria in choosing an area ?

Cheers
Ricky

We have an apartment in St Pauls's Bay which is a less expensive area than Sliema. However, our advantages are:- less road congestion,good local shops(not the tourist ones), bus routes and bus station, harbour, beach , coastal walks and a sea llife centre currently being built. Very good restaurants, good dive centres (if that interests you), local 7 screen cinema (all films in English), easy access to many parts of the island, from the Gozo ferry to Valetta. If you wish to know more just let me know.
Caroline

Hi Ricky, our main criteria in choosing an area would be primarily close to a good nursery for our daughter, also for there to be enough going on in the area for when my partner is overseas working (preferably walking distance)
Hi 'This is England', thanks for the reply and info.  We did think of St Paul's bay but I was worried that it was a bit 'out of the way' although after having looked up the rental prices for St Julians/ Sliema I may have to go further afield as we're not really getting alot for our money there.  We will be over on Tuesday for a week to get to grips on the area and was also hoping to pop past the Wednesday meetup in the evening if that was still running?
:)

Hi sarah,

yes, the Wednesday meetings will be on every week for the next weeks until it is warm enough to switch over to our beach picnics. But I will inform the forum when that happens.

I'm in the UK until the 11 th May but other members will look after you or any other newcomers -)))

From what you are saying I would really consider the larger Sliema/St.Julians/Swieqi area even if the rents might be a bit higher than further out.

Just make that you rent and don't buy.

Welcome to the green green grass of England Ricky - if you could organise to stay a little longer - say about the 11th July, we might be able to rustle up a bit of sun for you as well :D

No way -)))

After having experienced the wettest drought in English history with the local ducks fleeing the River Mole and paddling the streets we will be back in Malta as soon as possible :D

Now we know why we made a good choice when we moved to Malta. If you are near Seaford / Sussex next week send me a message.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for the info again Ricky either myself or my partner will pop along tonight, can you tell me the name of the place again please? Also are children allowed in (if it's a bar) Many thnx

Hi sarah,

the Expats meet at Bianco's restaurant on Spinola Bay in St. Julians at 7 pm.

It is a restaurant with a nice couch corner where we meet so children are allowed in.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello all,

We are planing to move to Malta at the end of August.
We will be in Malta from the 8.6. - 13.6. to have a look at the san anton school ( for my son 5 j.)and search for a 4 bed house to rent.
Can somebody recommend a nice place to live with family? 
I don't mind driving, I will drive my son to school. We was talking about the north area as well  ( st. Paul bay or mellieha) but I think it is to far away. How long would it take me to drive from there to San Anton school?

Is there somebody who did the move to Malta recently and could give me ( the beginner ) a few tips.?
Thanks a lot
Deborah

Hi Deborah,

welcome to the forum.

You will probably find it easier and faster to get to San Anton from St.Pauls Bay or Mellieha.

You probably won't find an affordable 4 bedroom house in the Sliema/St.Julians area unless you are willing to pay way over 1000 €/month so the north or one of the villages would be the areas to look.

Read through past posts as far back as you can find time too. There is a lot of information and tips there.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
Sliema / st. Julian's is anyway no option for us.
To loud and crowded. And as well to expensive.
When do you have the expat's meetings?
We would love to visit one when we did the move.

Deborah

Hi Deborah,

we meet every Wednesday, either at Bianco's or on the beach in the summer.

Send me your e-mail by PM and I'll add you to our mailing list.

Cheers
Ricky