Living in Ghent

Hello friends,

I have been offered to do PhD in Ghent University. If I agree, I would have to stay in Ghent for about 4 years. I have some questions:

1. I don't know Belgian or Dutch language, the only language I know is English. Can general public speak proper English in Ghent or at-least understand English or willing/unwilling to speak English?

2. I would like to live in a 1 room apartment near Ghent University. Generally, for a normal room, what is the rent? And how much extra is paid for utilities? Total?

3. Is it easy to find furnished rooms? any difference in price?

4. For a normal 1 time meal (lunch, Dinner) at a normal restaurant; how much do i have to pay?

5. How cold is the winter? -15C below??

P.S. Probably I've asked many questions, please try to answer them, even if u could answer a single question. It will be of great help.

Thanks a lot.

Hello,

I live a little out side of gent in a small area. Not everyone u come across speaks English however most people in stores bakeries etc will. However I have learned a lot of dutch in the past 10 months.

As for finding an apartment I cant help much with. Eating out varies they are irish bars and a wonderful place called pamapas that is a all you can eat meat and fries for 27 euro s. Lush meat been twice now. 

As for winter I think the coldest it ever got was a little over -10

1) I've found everyone is willing to speak English to an extent, though if you've been living in the country for a while its kinda frowned upon to not understand even a little. There are always plenty of opportunities to learn Dutch and Flemish or possibly even French!

2) More than likely the university will have much more concise information about accommodation for you.

3)I would say a furnished room would probably cost more, but I'm no expert though you could always find cheap furniture from Kapaza or Tweedehands websites and furnish yourself.

4) No idea, I do not eat in Gent at all

5) The temperature for winter in Gent over the past 8 years is apparently averaging at 3 Celsius in January though I am pretty sure last year it went down to -8 or close to.
climate-zone.com/climate/belgium/celsius/gent.htm

Hope that helps!

Hello! To answer your questions:

1.- Most of the people speak english, so you shouldn't have any problems while shopping, going out, etc.

2.- Appartments in that area are around 600 euro per month, I think . It depends on what you want. You can check in the next website:

immoweb.be/en

4.- As for a restaurant, a regular meal (at an unexpensive restaurant) can be 15 euro, or 20 euro for a steak (not including drinks) or you can pay 6 euro for a sandwich or burger with fries if you want to have something cheap.

I heard that they have a cafeteria at the Universiteit Gent with incredible cheap meals if you are a student, I can't remember the price though.

I hope it was useful, if you have more questions, ask :)!

going off the uni cafe in lauven its around 6 euros and sometimes u can eat in them even if ur not

There are dormitories connected to the university. You can always check out their website. In the dormitories are also cafeterias where you can eat cheap. Food is hearty and delicious, veggies are always served fresh. Look also into the OBSG site for places to stay. Have fun!