Registering a german car

Hi

Im an Irish citizen working in RO and want to buy a car in germany to use for the next 8 months while I am here in Bucharest. Can anyone advise me on the registration tax I would have to pay if any? The car is costing me 30k Euro and is a Euro5 car.

I believe I can get temporary registration, red plates? Is this correct, and pay no registration tax, just the standard [pollution based car tax? I also heard there would be a 25% registration tax, and 7.5k euro would be to much for me to pay!!

Thanks

For 8 months, keep german plates or irish plates. Don't bother registering the car in Romania at all, too bureaucratic and too costly.

but from Germany i understand I will only get red export plates, valid for 30 days so not registering isn't an option unfortunately. Also I would be liable to registration tax in Ireland also if i did this. And that would be VERY expensive.

VRT in Ireland is 28% on the open market price and for teh car i am buying its listed in ireland as 50k...so crazzy!

How much is the same care costing at a Romanian car dealer?

There are very few available in Romania, ie at the moment there are 0 second hand on either autovit,mobile.ro or auto.ro. The ones I have seen are a little bit higher priced with not as high a spec. But the main issue is very small amounts available.

Its an Audi A5 sportsback i wanted to see. The only on one the 3 websites less than 36k has not got a good interior spec

So basically to be clear, I definitely want to register it in Romania.

What I need to verify is that the registration tax to get the normal plates is just the pollution tax (ca 300E in this case) or whether there is an additional tax to pay (ie in the thousands of euro).

This is where I have hit the wall though.

I am pretty sure I will buy the car in Germany from a dealer with 30day expiry german export plates, and will then register, tax and insure it in Bucharest, once I can verify the tax :(

Hello there,

I was going to go to Munich next week to buy an Audi A3 S-line and searched for answers to the same questions you are asking.

Basically i'm only looking for a run about 3-5,000 euro as I don't know how long I will be here, I don't want the hassle of having to get rid of a car where a lot of my money is tied into. Plus the roads are shocking where I am up in the North West.

Anyways I found an Audi forum and I got all the answers I needed. Just scan down the pages and on page 3 'bartolomeus' responds to all the questions I asked which were similar to yours. It also has a link to put the details of the car you want and it will give you an estimate of the cost to import the car. You have to pay insurance and road tax here, just like home. Also you need a registration certificate (you will have one if you are paying local taxes) in order to get insurance.

(Also you can insure a car in the UK and drive it over here and not need to worry about anything, only a few insurers offer the green card you need for insurance purpose. If you want more info on that just message me)

The link is:
http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread … to=newpost

But I have copied his answer below for this forum as well:

Both RED AND YELLOW number plates come with insurance, so you don't have to worry about that.
@Zeuswastaken, red number plates would be better, I agree, because they are valid for one month and cost only pennies more than the yellow ones, but you can't get them if the car doesn't have valid MOT (TUV)
@scottishscott
Documents:

First be sure to make a sales contract with the Seller. Then:

1) If you get red number plates, the office who will give you the number plates will write your name and address on the GERMAN Fahrzeugbrief (we call it just BRIEF in Romania). You can write on the BRIEF 2 owners of the car.
If there isn't room on the BRIEF to write the new owner, then they will make a new BRIEF for you.

This is how this Brief looks like:

http://www.kanukassel.de/mediac/400_...rzeugbrief.jpg

You can see that there is a guy Kessel Gere or something who owns the car. Your name and address and new number plates will be filled out in the right.

Along with this BRIEF, you will be getting a smaller BRIEF as well, this is always made new when getting the red number plates.

This is how the smaller BRIEF looks like:

http://www.kanukassel.de/mediac/400_...gbrief0001.jpghttp://www.kanukassel.de/mediac/400_...gbrief0002.jpg

So be sure to have this papers: Big BRIEF, Smaller BRIEF, sale Contract.

2) If you get yellow number plates, you can simply buy the yellow number plates from an office, and then put them on the car and drive away.
As I said before, the yellow number plates come with a blank registration form which you can fill out with your pen with the details of the car.

Be sure to get the BIG and SMALL BRIEF from the owner, the sales contract and that's all.

About Romania:

- the red or yellow number plates are only temporary, you can't use them anymore after they expire.
- it's very complicated to registrate a car in Romania. But not impossible.
But the biggest problem is that you have to pay a polution tax. This tax is very very very very veryyyyyyyyyyy highhhhhhhhhhhhh .

For example: you buy an Audi S2 from 1991, which has a polution norm of EURO 1. You will have to pay a 5000 EURO tax to registrate the car in Romania

You can check out how expensive is the tax here:

http://www.autovit.ro/index.php?sect...ce&sub=taxcalc

(copy and paste the link as it doesn't always work)

About good insurance companies in Romania, well, here in Romania if you can get
-basic insurance (if by your fault make an accident, your insurance will only cover the other's car damage)
-extensive insurance ( this is another insurance that you buy extra, and will cover the damage to your car if you do an accident from your fault; or if you find our car damaged in the parking space; no matter what the circumstances are, you get your car fixed)
You can't buy extensive insurance for cars more than 10 years old.

For basic insurance it doesn't matter which company you use. You can simply go to an insurance stand (they are all over the place) and they will search to see which company will give you the cheapest insurance.
You don't have to worry about insurance in Romania because we have such low prices (compared to the UK) that you might think that it's a joke

For example, for a BMW E90, 335d, 2006, I paid 110 GBP basic insurance for one year. How much would that cost in the UK?

My advice for you for registrating a car in Romania is to get a car with a high polution norm (Euro 4, Euro 5) and small engine (under 2000 cm3).
I gave you the link below, you can check out for yourself how much is the polution tax.

If you're moving to Romania, then I can tell you how to get the polution tax back, but that's a story for another time
-->>
Where are you staying in Romania?
I don't know what "certifcat de inregistrare" you have... Maybe you can explain to me more... or send me a picture... You can email me for faster response :emi at asconet dot ro

In order to get that tax back you need to open a lawsuit against the Romanian State (the tax is illegal) and then in one - two years you will get your money back with interest and also with the legal expenses as well.
I know it's a long process but it's worth it, you don't have to do a thing, your lawyer will take care of everything and you will win the lawsuit 100%.

I know its a lot of into in one post, so just add a response with any questions that you have. I am now going to buy a car in Romania as it is far simpler. Good luck!

Hi, I just have a quick question. I have bought a card in Romania and you said not to bother registering it.
Is that a good idea?

John

travellingscott wrote:

http://www.autovit.ro/index.php?sect...ce&sub=taxcalc

Are you sure that the results of this calculation are in EUR and not in RON??? Why would the webpage calculator in Romanian language give results in a foreign currency?

Cars in RO are always priced in EUR.

Don't they trust their own currency? I spotted that apartment rents are mostly in EUR too.

And everything real-estate - buying or renting, the price is done in EUR. Payments can be made in EUR on converted to RON's based on that days rates. Cheers.

It's just habit, I think. The currency used to be pretty shaky, and also had an extra four zeros on the end, so it was just easier to price things in Euro. Also, a lot of large products (white goods, brown goods, etc) were imported and the retailer paid the supplier in euro, so would price (or price link) those goods in Euro to ensure he didn't lose out as a result of am unexpected fluctuation in the lei. Many people took out loans and mortgages in foreign currency so I guess it was just easier to link the rental returns the same way for the same reason.

Anything you buy locally and legally, however, even if you pay in cash in Euro, should be billed/invoiced in lei. Real estate contracts should also be in lei (even if advertised and negotiated in Euro).