Nurse in PR

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just got married in January, and are looking to start our new lives together in PR. She is a massage therapist, and we have already found tons of opportunities for her to work at resorts and such. I am a registered nurse, and am having a little more trouble. I applied for jobs with usajobs.gov, but the recruiters told me jobs very rarely open up in PR and that there are no openings right now (which is a good sign that PR is the place to be). I would love some help with two things:

1) Does anybody know any good hospitals or clinics not associated with the army that would be good for a ex-pat to work at? My wife and I speak quite a bit of Spanish, but I don't feel confident enough to take orders from doctors and assess patients completely in Spanish yet. I was wondering if maybe there was a doctors office or hospital that ex-pats or vacationers tend to go to?

2) I've been trying to contact the board of nursing in PR, but every time I call their phone number I get a busy tone. I didn't know if anyone knew a better number than (787)725-7506. I am also going to attempt to fax them today.

Thanks for your time and help!

You can try the Ashford Medical center and El Presby Hospital. They're located in Condado, which makes them the Hospital that tourists go to, so the staff is expected to know English. They've got email links.

presbypr.com/en-us/contacto.aspx

ashfordmedical.com/pag.cgi?id=4a&cat=4&sub=4

I've been trying to contact the board of nursing in PR, but every time I call their phone number I get a busy tone.

Welcome to the island! :-)

Hello Dietch and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope you'll soon get some useful info, you could as well check out the Jobs in Puerto Rico section and post your CV there.

All the best,

Francesca

PR is definitely not the place to be for nurses. There probably aren't any openings because unemployment is ridiculous here in PR and no one is hiring. My husband and I just graduated from the nursing school at the Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico or "La Inter," and we are moving to Arizona next month to work there. Just to give you an idea of what nurses make here--my husband's cousin has a masters in nursing, she has been with the same hospital in Caguas for over 25 years, is the manager of her department and she makes FOURTEEN dollars an hour. Yes, $14 an hour as a manager with a masters and 25 years with the same company. I saw an ad on clasificadosonline a few weeks ago where the company wanted a nurse with a BSN, 5 years + experience and a few other crazy requirements all for a part time job with a pay of $12 an hour. That is the norm here. In Arizona, we will make around $28 to $30 an hour as new grads with associates degrees. The cost of living here is horrendous as well. Milk is $6 a gallon, produce is sky high, our electric bill is about $350 a month and that's running one window AC unit from about 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. and sweating the rest of the day.

I love this island, I really do. I will miss it dearly when I leave. However, life here is just too frustrating. I seriously laughed out loud when I read adolfojp's post regarding not being able to reach the BON in PR. "Welcome to the island! :-)" sums it all up. Businesses NEVER answer their phones here. Ever. And if you have to go to a doctor's appointment, be prepared to get up at 5:30 a.m. to go sign a list, go back to your house, come back to the office at 8 a.m. and wait until about 2 or 3 p.m. to finally be seen. I'm not kidding. PR is awesome for vacation, but not to live--not when you're used to the comforts of the US. Here the power goes out for hours at least once or twice a week for no reason. It can be sunny outside, no rain or wind, and *poof* no power. Please rethink your move. Especially if you're an RN.