Getting over the Western God-Complex: Connecting with expats in Dalian

Hi,

As many of you may feel when you're here, as I have, you get a lot of attention as a foreigner in China. When I buy a coat at DaShang, I immediately get swept away by the manager to get a VIP card. The trade-off for feeling like a celebrity here can be an isolation from other Westerners. Of course, whenever I've run into a Westerner on the streets of Dalian or even in IKEA, for example, they never speak English (perhaps Russian?). Does anyone know any good places to meet up with other English-speaking people? If any English-speaking people could post here that would be awesome!

Joe

Hi there,

In some cases, if the sales person is a woman ,she may try to give you a special favor. We shopped at MyKal and DaShang many times but nobody bothered us ( because we are women ) My friends are Westerners and I am Asian from Vancouver. If you feel or act like a celebrity, you will surely be the one. I find most Northern Chinese have mind their own business attitude ( I used to live in other parts of China )
Why don't you try a pizza at Brooklyn bar in downtown Dalian? There are many expats during weekends. It is a decent place to go.
Hope this helps.

ZT

Hi Joe,

I know exactly how you feel. I'm english and no matter where i go i'm stared at by nationals :) I don't really mind it though!

As the post above says, Brooklyn Bar is a great place to meet english speaking people....this is where i met most of the people i know here.

Hope this helps!
Becky

VIP cards in China are like STDs in Thailand.  You get plenty of them just being there.

Brooklyn bar, JD's club, Alice bar, Jass bar, Kopenhagen Cafe, at most of those places you'l find expats or just english speakers.
Good luck and have fun !

"In some cases.........special favor." Wrong. It could also be a Chinese salesman that does a special favor..like a fellow American I know that was given some free winter clothing by that young salesman. "...but nobody bothered us (because we are women.)" It has nothing to do with being women, it could have been the same situation where men were present. It depends on the Chinese..their maturity level and how nosey and xenophobic they are,etc. Also, some/many of them are quite strange in how they react when just SEEING a foreigner or foreigners. Truly bizarre..just like Koreans! "If you feel.........one." That is nonsense..just looking different here will garner stupid gawking and rude staring,etc. "I find most...........attitude." Wrong again..I live in NE China and many of the Chinese here are twits regarding the comments that they make and the lack of manners and civility that they show towards foreigners. Others are fine. It can depend on the area. Lishui was very different for me..most of the Chinese there were much more normal/open-minded,etc.

haha Anybody who wanna know more things about Dalian, just ask me since I'm the 100% local :)