ADEC 2012... Abu Dhabi here we come!

Hi all,

My friend and I have just signed contracts with ADEC for the coming school
Year.  We are very excited about moving to the sunshine but a little apprehensive as we won't knownwhat schools we will be placed in until we get there.  Also we must buy a car pretty quickly as our contracts indicated that this was necessary as we could be placed quite a distance from our schools.

A few questions... Are there any other members who have signed contracts with ADEC or are going teaching in Abu Dhabi this year? Can anyone enlighten me on the best way to get a car- new/used/insuracnce matters/registration/driving lessons ect..?? Also anyone living in Abu Dhabi who can tell us about ADEC accommodation?? The furniture situation?

Also while we are attesting out documents we have to wait before working visas and offer can be booked and agency were not able t tell us the exact date o departure.. Is there any member from last year who work with ADEC and can recall the date you left your country of origin? Also how long was the orientation process and when did teaching actually begin??

Final question.. How to pack for a year: what should we defo pack/not pack?? What is the usual attire of a teacher in Abu Dhabi- is it similar to Ireland/Britain ?

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide!!

Hi Mollypink!

I too am heading out to Abu Dhabi in August with ADEC. I have been looking for similar info as you.
I have come across some good blog from 2010 that give a good idea as to how the process works ill send you the links.
Its hard to find accuate info about how it works for us irish tho. Id say it will be the end of August tho before we go. I think we will have to be ready to go for start of August just in case.

Hi girls, I am the same as you. I have gotten a job through adec too for august. Really hoping we dont have to go over till the end of august though as I am in america till then. Are ye going over on yer own or with people? I havent made a definite decision yet and am still a bit nervous to accept the offer.

Hi Aineb,

I had been told by teachanwhere that we will probably be leaving between 7th and 12th August.  Was totally surprised as I am going travelling during summer And am only back a few days prior.

There are two of us going with ADEC- even though its not a guarantee we'l b together and two of the girls are going to Al Ain with Sabis. I know that there are girls who went alone lAt year and said it was very make friends as so many Are in the same boar in a new country.

Was v unsure if would like to spend a year there so went there for a weekduring midterm - can definitely say it made my decision v easy. Loads of Irish there, didn't think the whole dress code was that significant- had expected it to be far more conservative. Social life was brill- day and nite. Met loads of people Irish And from other countries. Ev1 seemed eager to meet new ppl and widen their circles.

They told me all about the Irish wknds they have GAA tournaments and an annual ball as well as loads of random wknds. One of the girls said they never have a free wknd there are always parties/events/concerts/GAA tournaments.. And the brunches, beach, shopping! Never a dull moment! Loved ev minute there - just hope it will b as fun when we go back!!

Hi molly! oh god really if they are the dates i'll still be in america :0 woops!!!!

it does sound great tho!!! i think i'll be going alone but as you said with the gaa teams and everything it'll be very easy to make friends. ive been speaking to alot of girls that are out here at the minute and they speak v.highly of the place!!!

Hi all

I work for ADEC HQ - if you have any concerns or questions about anything, don't hestiate to ask.  In general, things will be just fine - all that is required is a little bit of patience and knowing who to talk to at ADEC to get your questions answered.

Welcome to the UAE - m sure you will enjoy it.

By the way - I was in Cork a month ago and love it...

Regards

Thanks for your reply myounes. Great to hear from someone from ADEC.  I have a few questions and it would be great if you could answer them or lead me In the direction of getting some answers. 

Firstly do you know what date ADEC are planning on booking the flights for the group from Ireland, I assume we will all be on the one flight.  Secondly I am curious in terms of the clothes people wear to work and the attire of expat girls in schools- does it tend to be more long skirts as opposed to pants??  Another question I have asked around in relation to and have failed to get an answer to is where can I access the school calender for 2012/2013.  In order for family and friends to book a trips to visit it would be great if we knew the layout of the school year.  I have accessed the calender for the current year but I am led to believe that this varies each year based on the Islamic festivals.  Sorry about all the questions... This is the last: orientation process... When is it due to begin and how long does it last?

Thank you for your time.  I hope you don't mind answering some of these questions or perhaps you could provide a contact within ADEC that could supply the answers.

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent trip in Cork. It is a great city.

Kind regards

Hello Again

Answers to lots of your general questions about culture, dress and documents can be found here:

adec.ac.ae/English/Pages/Educators.aspx?LinkId=MENjNo2a08Gxlmv9rcJ3AA==

I will get back to you on more specific questions shortly.

Regards

Hey mollypink !
Check out this link

khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle08.asp?xfile=data/nationgeneral/2012/April/nationgeneral_April41.xml§ion=nationgeneral

Dunno if it's the official One but it can't be too far wrong if it's in the newspaper 

Hi Mollypink,

I just stumbled upon your post and I'm delighted to hear that other girls are moving to Al Ain with Sabis in August! I had a slight fear I was going to be the only one!! :)

Hi annAndbarry, thanks a mill for brill link from paper! Seems pretty reliable you'd imagine..!! Thank you and sorry for delay getting back t you!

Hi Ciara , that's great to hear there are more Irish gals heading off! If wanna pm me and can see if can link you up with the girls before we head off! Did u get a leaving date??

Hey all.  I'm moving to Abu Dhabi too, got a job with ADEC through teachanywhere.  I was told by them last week that we'll be flying out between the 8th and the 11th of August.  Starting to panic a bit as I'm in USA from 30th June until 8th Aug and had been originally told by the ADEC people at the interview that we wouldn't be flying out until late Aug.  If anyone hears about their flight date let me know as it would be good to be in contact if we're on the same flight as I'm travelling over on my own.  I have to have everything all packed&organised by the end of june! AAHHHHH!

Hi 4 all those who got job wth ADEC ..the best way is to contact them ... one face ramadan start 20 Jul and end 20 Aug 2012 so ppl feel lazy and do not want to work ans postpone everything after ramdan so ..relax and wait and try to enjy every moment of ur life

Hi all!

I too am heading out to Abu Dhabi in August to work for ADEC. The dates are a shock- I have a ticket for the Olympics on Aug 10th and am starting to panic now.

:/

Has anyone heard from ADEC yet about their flight dates?

I was wondering the same thing. Would love to get a flight date and get planning around it.

I was in touch with teachanywhere, they said ADEC will be flying us out between the 8th and 11th of August.  They actually don't have anything to do with the flights, ADEC arranges it through a travel agency.  They will be contacting us at the start of August to let us know what our flight date is.  I'm praying mine isn't the 8th as I'm only home from USA on that date!

What are we supposed to do if we can't fly on the date given? I know a few people who have booked family holidays and can't rearrange them. August 8th is so early!

I know I'm away in America from the 30th June until the 8th August.  when I did my interview I told the ADEC people this and they said back then that we wouldn't be flying as early as then but they've obviously changed the dates.  I can't afford to change my flight now.  But the teachanywhere consultants said that ADEC will email us at the start of August to tell us the flight date and for us to confirm it and if we can't fly out on that specific date that they give us then they may be able to re arrange it.  I'm just hoping my flight date won't be on the 8th!!  I'm stressing a bit as I only have 3 weeks to get everything organised!

Also, it's Ramadan until the 18th August, then Eid so I'm not sure what we're expected to do for the first 2 weeks out there as getting accommodation, driving licenses, visas etc will be tricky if everywhere is on a 'go slow' / shut!

Hiya folks,
Ive just registered on the site trying to get in touch with a few like minded bodies already set up or like me hoping to go to the UAE more specifically Al ain...!!!!!

Ive been offered a job in nursing and am a bit apprehensive but REALLY excited about the prospect at the same time!!!!

Hoping to get out there before the end of the year but I believe the registration process takes forever!!!

Any other nurses at home still in the same boat??? would love to hear from you....:)

i dont know if i can help but i am a student in ADEC schools maybe i can gave any information that you need or make you contact with my teachers :)

Hello Everyone,

I have taught in the Emirates for 4 years. I am currently in Saudi at the moment but I have a few tips. I wrote an article on what to pack for the Gulf here.Abu Dhabi is one of the best cities in the Gulf region, very clean and modern. Yet, it is the Middle East and you will be in for some culture shock when you are in your schools, just be open minded.

If you are in the United States, I advise you to get an international driving license from AAA. They are around $20 and make renting a car easy. Car rentals start at about $600 a month. You can buy a car at a dealership by giving them a copy of your work contract. There are some used car dealerships in Dubai. A few years ago I was able to get a UAE license easily through my US license but the rules may have changed.

Cheers,
Sarah

P.S. Hello in Arabic is "Marhaba":lol:

[Moderated]