Moving to New Caledonia

Hi there

I am thinking about moving to New Caledonia sometime next year. Can anyone recommend a good job search site and a site that has information about obtaining work permits?

Cheers

Hi, Nakida,

My wife, Pichou, is a contributor on the New Caledonia French speaking forum (have a look at it).

New Caledonia is a very special part of France. There is a local autonomous government, with a strong protection of local people in the field of employment.

A French citizen coming from France cannot apply for a job in the local administration or in a big company if there is a New Caledonian pretending to be able to do the job. It will be a casus belli for the local trade-unions. European citizens need special work permits to be allowed to work here. I am afraid it is even worst for other countries' people (who need also a visa to stay).

You can work either if you create your own business, or if you are working for a big (mainly mining) company which will send you to NC.

There is an NZ consulate in Nouméa, so it would be better to ask them first to know what they think about your situation.

I have been several times in NZ for holidays. Be sure life is really (really) more expensive in NC.

Good luck,

Pisolahy

je souhaite m'installer prochainement à nouméa

Va sur le forum francophone (le petit drapeau en haut à droite). :dumbom:
Tu trouveras plein d'indications.
Regarde aussi le guide.
Si tu as des questions spécifiques pose-les ensuite.

Pisolahy