Marriage

I plan to move to Buenos Aires next Spring and marry an Argentine. I welcome any information about local customs and expectations for a marital relationship.

Comenius wrote:

I plan to move to Buenos Aires next Spring and marry an Argentine. I welcome any information about local customs and expectations for a marital relationship.

I don't want to be negative, but you should go see a family law attorney first to educate yourself on the differences in martial law in Argentina. I can tell you that, having done business with married people here, the spouse can create havoc in any business transaction if the couple is not on good terms.

You should make sure you document all your assets abroad, etc to the Argentine tax authorities and do a sworn declaration before being married because in the case of a divorce its 50/50 here and if you can't prove that you owned the stuff beforehand, you could get taken for a ride. Again, not trying to be negative, but you're coming to a foreign country where you don't know the laws, so you could be taken advantage of.

Other than that, though, I wish you good luck and future happiness.

El Expatriado
Author of Investing and Doing Business in Argentina
Covering issues related to investing, starting, and running a business in the Republic of Argentina, with a focus on Foreign Direct Investment. Topics include legal issues, tax considerations, labor and employment, banking, import/export, and more. Questions from readers are welcomed and are answered regularly.

Thanks!!

I know that the law in Argentina requires 28 days prior notice to the civil registry before the marriage certificate can be handed out and a medical exam 7 days prior as well.

This is from the U.S. Embassy:

Living in Argentina

Getting Married in Argentina
NO MARRIAGE CAN BE PERFORMED IF BOTH PARTIES ARE TOURISTS IN ARGENTINA
1)      Application forms for permission to marry must be picked up at the district civil registry office not less than 30 days prior to the date the marriage is to take place.  Normally the district of residence of the bride or groom will determine which district civil registry office will be used.

2)      Medical examination forms are picked up at the same time at the same office.  A doctor will be specified.  There is a fee for the marriage book.  The interested parties will pick up the results of the examination.

3)      Either party may request the civil registry office in the area of residence to perform the marriage.

4)      Proof of previous marriages must show legal termination either by death or divorce.  Death certificates or divorce decrees issued in the United States must be authenticated by apostille from the office of the Secretary of State in the state where the divorce decree was issued.  This apostille process is accepted by the government of Argentina under the Hague Convention.

5)      Applicants stand in line on the appointed date at the Civil Registry Office on the first come-first served basis.  The ceremony will last only a few minutes.  Two witnesses must be in attendance at the ceremony.

6)      Minors: Brides: from 16 to 20 years old, and grooms: from 18 to 20 years old. Birth certificate and parents' Ids, plus a parental authorization must be presented. (death certificate is needed if one of the parents is deceased). If the parents do not issue their consent, a judicial authorization will be needed. If one of the parents is absent, the one who is present must submit an ID and an authorization from the absent parent, authenticated by the nearest Argentine Consulate and subsequently authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Worship, Buenos Aires.

Please visit the following web site for further information: http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/registrocivil/

Samuel "Wynns Woods" Warde
Good Morning Buenos Aires
Proudly serving the international community of Buenos Aires for two years.  News, information, city guides, events calendar, services directory and much more...

Thank you very much!

Be sure to get an apostille stamp on your birth certificate and get your criminal record from the FBI.

Thank you for your help!

hello my name is ali(41 years old) i am planing to move from morocco to live in bunes aires, and if its possible i want know many informations from many friends that can helps me when am there;

That was alot of crap, i moved to Argentina with no hassles, im marrying this |march, i didnt speak hardly any spanish, so yeh its alot of cods wallop to get married here tho, you need a medical done on both parts, if u dont speak english, have ur documents translated, by and official translator, but i didnt need a lawyer thats bull tucka. All you need is u docos done by the NZ government, like have them aposolised . Youll be ok dont panic, if love is there go for it. If you ned more of a detailed account of wht we did message me.

Thanks! I also was married this month. And, it went as you said, relatively simply. It helped, though, that my wife works in the same office as the marriage registry.

I was married in the US to an Argentine, then moved here.
Unfortunately, I got divorced here as well. I do not want to rain on your parade, but as life is unpredictable, please be aware of argentine law before buying property together, or investing in a business... It sounds technical and cold, but I had a nightmarish experience, and wished I had been more informed beforehand. I also had three children here, and want to go back to the US- another very tough situation. Just to travel with minors born here, you must have a legalized document signed by the father or a judge, giving you permission to travel with the child/children.
Other than that, it can be comfy life here, as domestic help abounds, and is much cheaper than in the US. It is not exactly "first world" , but there are a lot of services available, and people tend to enjoy life, and value their family and friends.

WynnWoods wrote:

I know that the law in Argentina requires 28 days prior notice to the civil registry before the marriage certificate can be handed out and a medical exam 7 days prior as well.

This is from the U.S. Embassy:

Living in Argentina

Getting Married in Argentina
NO MARRIAGE CAN BE PERFORMED IF BOTH PARTIES ARE TOURISTS IN ARGENTINA
1)      Application forms for permission to marry must be picked up at the district civil registry office not less than 30 days prior to the date the marriage is to take place.  Normally the district of residence of the bride or groom will determine which district civil registry office will be used.

2)      Medical examination forms are picked up at the same time at the same office.  A doctor will be specified.  There is a fee for the marriage book.  The interested parties will pick up the results of the examination.

3)      Either party may request the civil registry office in the area of residence to perform the marriage.

4)      Proof of previous marriages must show legal termination either by death or divorce.  Death certificates or divorce decrees issued in the United States must be authenticated by apostille from the office of the Secretary of State in the state where the divorce decree was issued.  This apostille process is accepted by the government of Argentina under the Hague Convention.

5)      Applicants stand in line on the appointed date at the Civil Registry Office on the first come-first served basis.  The ceremony will last only a few minutes.  Two witnesses must be in attendance at the ceremony.

6)      Minors: Brides: from 16 to 20 years old, and grooms: from 18 to 20 years old. Birth certificate and parents' Ids, plus a parental authorization must be presented. (death certificate is needed if one of the parents is deceased). If the parents do not issue their consent, a judicial authorization will be needed. If one of the parents is absent, the one who is present must submit an ID and an authorization from the absent parent, authenticated by the nearest Argentine Consulate and subsequently authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Worship, Buenos Aires.

Please visit the following web site for further information: http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/registrocivil/

Samuel "Wynns Woods" Warde
Good Morning Buenos Aires
Proudly serving the international community of Buenos Aires for two years.  News, information, city guides, events calendar, services directory and much more...

If you currently own property, or you're planning on buying property after getting married, you should speak with a lawyer and know the main aspects of Argentine law regarding your assets & marriage.

If you wish to contact me you can do so, by email at [email protected]. One of my areas of practice is asset protection and I can give you an overview of the options you have and difficulties you might face.