DIGRESSION THREAD!!

I have heard they think western woman are easy--and many are :lol: (depending on your definition of easy, of course).

But I don't really care.. stare at me and think what you will and I'll just stare back and think you're a jack-ass hehe

Not too long ago, in Batha, I saw a Filipina, an older lady, beating the CRAP out of some Arab guy.  My guess is that he had touched her inappropriately.  Well, I'm here to tell you he sure regrets doing THAT!  His friends were like, 'calm down, lady' (in Arabic, of course) but everytime she started to slow down, she remembered--got angry all over again--and began beating him again.  I stopped and waited.. in case she would need my help if his friends stepped in but she didn't.  When  she'd beaten him enough with her bag, she stormed off.  I felt like clapping!

najaray wrote:

i don't understand that some stats in usa start whith san like san diego san francisco san kozah and what start with san is mexican

I can explain this: In 19th century all this US west coast was all mexican territory and aventually those became american states after both countries battles, agreements or just territories independances. "San" means "Saint" and you will find a lot of southwest american cities named so because spanish conquerors named places honoring (and also sponsored by) Catholic Church.

Cheers.

juangcr wrote:

I can explain this: In 19th century all this US west coast was all mexican territory and aventually those became american states after both countries battles, agreements or just territories independances. "San" means "Saint" and you will find a lot of southwest american cities named so because spanish conquerors named places honoring (and also sponsored by) Catholic Church.

Cheers.

10 points to Juangcr for the correct answer :P:lol:

Alliecat wrote:

I have heard they think western woman are easy--and many are :lol: (depending on your definition of easy, of course).

But I don't really care.. stare at me and think what you will and I'll just stare back and think you're a jack-ass hehe

Not too long ago, in Batha, I saw a Filipina, an older lady, beating the CRAP out of some Arab guy.  My guess is that he had touched her inappropriately.  Well, I'm here to tell you he sure regrets doing THAT!  His friends were like, 'calm down, lady' (in Arabic, of course) but everytime she started to slow down, she remembered--got angry all over again--and began beating him again.  I stopped and waited.. in case she would need my help if his friends stepped in but she didn't.  When  she'd beaten him enough with her bag, she stormed off.  I felt like clapping!

My definition of easy is *too easy* or *easier than they actually are*
It that right thing to do not to care about men staring at you, but I hope all the women I met here would think the same.
If that guy had touched tat women inappropriately, then he definitely deserves all the beating he got. Regardless of how attractive women may look, men are supposed NOT to touch them inappropriately. 
As I said, people here are not used to see uncovered faces or heads, so how if those faces or hairs were light colored.
Once while I was in Syria 8 years ago a British friend of mine told me: “I dress more modestly here than I dress back in the UK because the young men here are not used to see that much revealing, which is normal in the west. So I don't want to hurt young men's feelings” And I think that was very respectful of her at the time. Just so you know, Syria is a liberated country where women have the right to cover as much as Saudi women do, or dress as revealing as western women do. Syria has no religious police. But it is still an eastern Arab country where there are still some traditions and some religious people, Muslims are or Christians.

Wow.. I notice that Aminstar and Dave are neck-in-neck regarding number of posts. 

Go, boys, GO! :D

C'mon, ladies are ladies no matter how they dress or think. Love them or leave them but stay just cool :)

And calling women "easy" is kind of a double standard imo. you wont call a guy easy, you just call him normal lol

Freshlikesushi wrote:

And calling women "easy" is kind of a double standard imo. you wont call a guy easy, you just call him normal lol

Men can be normal or can be those who think ALL women are "easy" and hence behave accordingly.

I dont think easy is an appropriate term

Why are men assumed to have sexual freedom, but women are not? Why does a liberal woman get the label that a man otherwise would not?

Im not talking about behavior Towards women from men, im just talking about general ideals here.

@Freshlikesushi

I think it IS in this country. I have been here for almost 5 years and I know how SOME guys think. Being an Arabic tutor to non-Arabic speakers for the past 9 years and having met many western girls, most of my Arab/Asian friends keeping asking me if I have touched any, kissed any, hugged any, did it with any, or proposed to any.
C'mon guys, I am a teacher and they are just my students! Do you think that any relationship between a man a women, even a business one, should end up that way? Thanks to Western movies that helped non-Westerners to to think that Western women are THAT easy!

Freshlikesushi wrote:

Why are men assumed to have sexual freedom, but women are not? Why does a liberal woman get the label that a man otherwise would not?

I think that is due to the fact that the look matters more for men than women, and that is a reason why most men don't wear make-up.

I think you arent really comprehending what i am saying. Not a huge deal given languagae and cultural differences.

but i never said anything about makeup? Though guyliner isnt too bad

Aminstar2 wrote:

I think that is due to the fact that the look matters more for men than women, and that is a reason why most men don't wear make-up.

I agree that appearance means more to men (superficial********!) lol  However, it's not about how THEY look (hence your make-up statement)-- it's how everybody ELSE looks!

Something I've noticed is that ALL women, no matter if they are as thin as a piece of spaghetti, think they look fat.  All men, even if they look like Shrek, think they are handsome (check out some of the dating sites if you think I'm joking!).

(HEY MODERATOR!!!  I censored MYSELF before you did it.  Don't you think you're getting carried away?

in fact.. looking at the way you censored it.. it looks like I said something much worse than I did LOL)

For those of you wondering, it's an 8 letter word, beginning with 'b' and ending with 'd' but with an 's' added to make it plural!

Freshlikesushi wrote:

I think you arent really comprehending what i am saying. Not a huge deal given languagae and cultural differences.

I understand what you're saying and you're right.  It's the classic double standard.

This is true. If more men and women looked in the mirror before they go out, it would be better.

but then, we wouldn't have the people of walmart to laugh at

Freshlikesushi wrote:

but then, we wouldn't have the people of walmart to laugh at

LMAO!  Good point but I cringe to think that foreigners think these are typical Americans!!

Alliecat wrote:

I agree that appearance means more to men (superficial********!) lol  However, it's not about how THEY look (hence your make-up statement)-- it's how everybody ELSE looks!

Something I've noticed is that ALL women, no matter if they are as thin as a piece of spaghetti, think they look fat.  All men, even if they look like Shrek, think they are handsome .

That what is called "Self Satisfaction".
But I have met some women who really don't care about " how everybody ELSE looks or looks at them"

Aminstar2 wrote:

But I have met some women who really don't care about " how everybody ELSE looks or looks at them"

I'm tempted to say BRAVO .. but we should all 'care,' just not be obsessed :)

(and BTW, you misquoted me :mad: )

People SHOULD care about their outward appearance. Not saying that they need to conform to a style, or look, but that they are presentable, professional (ie trimmed hair, nails, ear hair, nose hair) on a daily basis.  We are all guilty of not doing it.  But by taking pride in HOW you look, not what look you conform to, keeps the word a nicer place i think.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

People SHOULD care about their outward appearance. Not saying that they need to conform to a style, or look, but that they are presentable, professional (ie trimmed hair, nails, ear hair, nose hair) on a daily basis.  We are all guilty of not doing it.  But by taking pride in HOW you look, not what look you conform to, keeps the word a nicer place i think.

I agree!

Alliecat wrote:

(and BTW, you misquoted me :mad: )

I intended to, I wanted to be more specific and deliver both meanings.

Who said we can't edit quots on EB?!

Sorry for that, anyway!

My name is

Amin (Abou Bicyclette)

New digression:  WHY do some people post in this forum repeating exactly what somebody else has ALREADY said?  It just happened again!!!

Why?  Oh why ?!?  Please help me to understand this!

Aminstar2 wrote:

Amin (Abou Bicyclette)

Cool last name.. sounds like French for a small bicycle! :)

Aminstar2 wrote:

A 'quote' is the exact words somebody has said/written.  If you 'edit' it, by definition it's no longer a quote!

Alliecat wrote:
Aminstar2 wrote:

A 'quote' is the exact words somebody has said/written.  If you 'edit' it, by definition it's no longer a quote!

I am sorry, Alliecat! I should have rephrased it and not used quotation marks, so I wouldn't sound rude! Sorry again!

Alliecat wrote:

New digression:  WHY do some people post in this forum repeating exactly what somebody else has ALREADY said?  It just happened again!!!

My apologies, Alliecat! If it irritates you, from now on I'll stop quoting parts of what you have already said. I thought it makes my ideas come across to you easier if I repeat in my context the key phrases that you have already said as long as I'm talking about the same subject.

Sorry!

Aminstar2 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Aminstar2 wrote:

I am sorry, Alliecat! I should have rephrased it and not used quotation marks, so I wouldn't sound rude! Sorry again!

You weren't rude .. and stop apologizing! :dumbom:

Aminstar2 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

My apologies, Alliecat! If it irritates you, from now on I'll stop quoting parts of what you have already said. I thought it makes my ideas come across to you easier if I repeat in my context the key phrases that you have already said as long as I'm talking about the same subject.

Sorry!

STOP IT!!! 

I was referring to somebody else on a different thread.  And it wasn't about using the quote function on this forum--rather it was saying what somebody else has already said as though it were an original thought lol

You're too nice ... anybody ever tell you that before? ;)

Alliecat wrote:
Aminstar2 wrote:

Amin (Abou Bicyclette)

*Abou Bicyclette* = in Syrian dialect, as Syria was a French colony *the man with bicycle* or the literally *the father of bicycle"  has been my nick name since the year 2000, my first year at university. I was the only one who could  enter their bike to the university campus which was illegal, and since I knew the Dean of university in person, my colloquies thought it was useful to approach me and get t know me as I might have know what are the questions that were going to be in the exams (lazy students) they were waving to me while I was riding my bike at university saying: "Hey, you, Abou Bicyclette" as they hadn't known me nor my name. and I have been called "Abou Bicyclette since then

Then a couple years later my french friends called me the same!

BTY, I have a bicycle here, but unfortunately, I don't ride it as much as I used to in Damascus.

did i do it? lol

Aminstar2 wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Aminstar2 wrote:

Amin (Abou Bicyclette)

*Abou Bicyclette* = in Syrian dialect, as Syria was a French colony *the man with bicycle* or the literally *the father of bicycle"  has been my nick name since the year 2000, my first year at university. I was the only one who could  enter their bike to the university campus which was illegal, and since I knew the Dean of university in person, my colloquies thought it was useful to approach me and get t know me as I might have know what are the questions that were going to be in the exams (lazy students) they were waving to me while I was riding my bike at university saying: "Hey, you, Abou Bicyclette" as they hadn't known me nor my name. and I have been called "Abou Bicyclette since then

Then a couple years later my french friends called me the same!

BTY, I have a bicycle here, but unfortunately, I don't ride it as much as I used to in Damascus.

You will ride it more.
when i get there im ordering another bike from Evanscycles (unless you know a better idea) like i did last time to ride around.

im an avid rider

Freshlikesushi wrote:

did i do it? lol

no, wasn't you :lol:

Freshlikesushi wrote:

You will ride it more.
when i get there im ordering another bike from Evanscycles (unless you know a better idea) like i did last time to ride around.

im an avid rider

Evans Cycles was too expensive for me, so I went for a Chinese aluminum semi racing bike with Shimano gears and derailers which cost me only SR630 = US $168.

The quality is OK, Top gear ratio is 48:14 which is the fastest I found here for that cheap.

When are you expected to be in Riyadh? It would be cool to go for Bicycle rides together on the weekends.

Thank you, Alliecat!

Aminstar2 wrote:

It would be cool to go for Bicycle rides together on the weekends.

Be careful:

http://road.cc/content/news/15227-briti … udi-arabia

Riding bikes in Saudi, Japan, usa, Africa..

Ive only been hit in america go figure.
I had more thumbs up in saudi arabia however than responses from anywhere.  Riding around Jeddh id get honks and waves from people constantly

and gears are for babies :P
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5209/5376992323_5b1e35c232_z.jpg
IMG_9285 by Flsimages, on Flickr

Alliecat wrote:
Aminstar2 wrote:

It would be cool to go for Bicycle rides together on the weekends.

Be careful:

http://road.cc/content/news/15227-briti … udi-arabia

That was horrible to hear. Thanks for sharing!

Once while I was riding up king Fahd road and a car full of teenagers cut me off deliberately. The guys opened the car windows and they were laughing and shouting. That was very dangerous. I just don't understand why they did so, though I was riding on the extreme right and off the yellow line. Another time a traffic policeman stopped me at king Fahd road on a Friday
afternoon and told me that I was crazy and and he accused me of attempting to suicide and he threatened to smash my bike into small pieces. He wasn't nice , though he was right: it is dangerous to ride a bicycle/motorbike on the main roads in Saudi.

So now I'm thinking of moving from exit 6 to Sulimaniyah where there is more traffic and less speeding cars, where a bicycle is faster than a car, where people can walk and don't get bored.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

Riding bikes in Saudi, Japan, usa, Africa..

Ive only been hit in america go figure.
I had more thumbs up in saudi arabia however than responses from anywhere.  Riding around Jeddh id get honks and waves from people constantly

and gears are for babies :P
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5209/5376 … c232_z.jpg
IMG_9285 by Flsimages, on Flickr

Nice Ride!

Such noble polceman :whistle: waiting in the drive-through.

Usually they honk and get their order delivered anywhere.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23723725/police.jpg

lol, The Herfy Burger was calling him