Texts used in preparatory courses for university in Riyadh

Hi.I'm, a mature 50s male(NZ) awaiting papers to  teach English in Riyadh.I'm aware that the students are 17-18 years old and trying to increase  their English language skills and perhaps go on to university.( well,some of them anyway) I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about any texts used in such preparatory courses,or does one make things  up as they go along?Do they need to achieve some sort of a grade to complete their course? Are they motivated and teachable, or are they  just there because  their parents want them to be there? Is there much English reading material available to them? What works and what doesn't work with Saudi Students?
I'm sure that there must be lots of comments and information that many would like to  share with me.(hopefully,it is seemly)
  thanks,
    A:)

Hi ageecee and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Wish you Good Luck,
Harmonie.

You'll find all of this covered at Dave's ESL Cafe teachers' forum.  Just CLICK HERE and read, read read.

I'm hoping that you have a decent recruiter (this has been discussed many times in this forum--I suggest you scan the topics for the last six months and read the different threads).

Best of luck.

ageecee wrote:

Hi.I'm, a mature 50s male(NZ) awaiting papers to  teach English in Riyadh.I'm aware that the students are 17-18 years old and trying to increase  their English language skills and perhaps go on to university.( well,some of them anyway) I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about any texts used in such preparatory courses,or does one make things  up as they go along?Do they need to achieve some sort of a grade to complete their course? Are they motivated and teachable, or are they  just there because  their parents want them to be there? Is there much English reading material available to them? What works and what doesn't work with Saudi Students?
I'm sure that there must be lots of comments and information that many would like to  share with me.(hopefully,it is seemly)
  thanks,
    A:)

hi and welcome to Riyadh.

i am a Saudi lady live in Riyadh.

The courses:
There is no specific book or curriculum for the courses. It depends on the company, school you de with.
There is a govermental book for 3rd grade secondary. But its puplished here in Sudia Arabi [to suit our customs and religion in Ksa]
I think you will never come only to teach such a book. it so easy and improve nothing in English.

Every private school brings its English book beside the govermental one.
Its Ok in the ministry of Education in Ksa.

This is about the courses.

About the students behaviour I can't give you 100 % correct words.

They are teenager. We can't judge on thier personality.
But the general speak they will be helpful and friendly.
and sometimes those parent who care on English language belongs to the up-middle to higher classes .
So their children are more polite, wisser and well behaived.

Have the best days in teaching.