English for local Vietnamese

A few weeks ago I read a post from an expat in Nha Trang about an English Corner. The concept was very simple - a few foreigners get together with local Vietnamese to converse about anything and everything. It's a great way for locals to improve their English. The group setting makes it easier for those who otherwise might be shy in a one on one setting.

I would love to help out those who are looking to improve their English, whether it's for students or just for general knowledge. It's not important if your English is basic or advanced. If anyone is interested you can send me a message or just reply here.

A little about myself : I was born in America and English is my native language. I lived in the states my entire life up until last year when I moved to Vietnam. I live and work in Binh Duong but spend my time in D1 on weekends. I can also speak Vietnamese if that helps, but it's my second language so obviously not as fluent as English.

If any foreigners want to join that would be great.

Jerry

Hi Jerry, don't forget that you may post an advert in the community section of Vietnam classifieds.;)

Harmonie.

Hi!

In fact, I m interested in your cuisine knowledge than your English:). Anyway, I would like to join your idea.

I live and work in dist 1 but will stay and work in Binh Duong for a week in May. So, hope to see you soon!

Sounds interesting. I'd be willing to join. :idontagree:

Hey guys - thanks for the feedback. I've gotten quite a few locals messaging my inbox saying they were really eager to come. I don't have a location yet set in mind. Definitely open to suggestions if anyone has them. It would be convenient (although not important) if it was in D1 or close proximity of as my apartment is located on Nguyen Trai and I get around by car (taxi)

Hi Jerry. my name is My. im student in HCMC. i want to improve my speaking skill. can u help me?

Hi My, I'd be glad to help. I'll let you know when we set up a meetup

thank u. how can i contact with you?

I just sent a message to your inbox

Hi Jerry,
It sound interesting. Count me in your group, please.
Thank for your helping:)

JVo18 wrote:

Hey guys - thanks for the feedback. I've gotten quite a few locals messaging my inbox saying they were really eager to come. I don't have a location yet set in mind. Definitely open to suggestions if anyone has them. It would be convenient (although not important) if it was in D1 or close proximity of as my apartment is located on Nguyen Trai and I get around by car (taxi)

Coffee Shops are a good place to meet.

Blue Cafe in D1 close to Le Thanh Ton near Cho Ben Thanh.

If you want drinks then Sin Lounge would be one good spot.

If we have lots of people, and parking is an issue, I can recommend Cafe Pearl at Saigon Pearl. Lots of space. Free parking at the basement if you go to Cafe Pearl.

I think a coffee shop would be best. We can always save the drinks for nighttime :)

We can try to set something up for this Sunday if that works, although I'm still trying to gather information on how to make these meetings the most functional

JVo18 wrote:

I think a coffee shop would be best. We can always save the drinks for nighttime :)

We can try to set something up for this Sunday if that works, although I'm still trying to gather information on how to make these meetings the most functional

What do you mean by the most functional?

I think we should choose exactly day, ok?

Hello Jerry,

Your idea sounds good. People could gather and talk, how about ones who feel shy to talk in group like that, then they may hard to find themself comfortalbe and confident to show up. What's ur option for them? Plz advice. thks

Hi AnhNguyen, I understand your concern and it's only natural that there will be a lot of people who are shy and hesitant as well, especially if they feel that their English is not great. I think after the first couple of times your shyness will become less and less of a problem as you become more acclimated with your peers. We're here to help, no ones here to judge :)

I will post tomorrow on whether or not we can have our first meeting this Sunday. I'm hoping that I'm not the only expat going because I've actually never been to one of these - like I said earlier, I just like helping others.

ok!! can i join,^^?
tell me when , where ??? please!!
Hv a good weekend^^

hi jerry..
i learn E when i was 7 year old and now.. i talk E very very bad..
u can help some skill to learn speaking English

Hey, did this meeting happen yet?  I'd like to come as well.

hi!what's meeting?
tell me

Hi Jerry,

Im very appreciate your idea. I would love to join. Please add me to your list, thanks and have a nice day!
Jasmine