New I.D. card rules

Thanks Ricky, great forum and appreciate the response.
Phil

ricky wrote:

...I have heard that ID cards for Aliens (non-Maltese) being issued are only valid 6 months and are not being accepted by banks anymore when you try to open an account.

So anybody with recent experiences with banks,ID card department and so on please share them with us.

Cheers
Ricky

Hey Ricky,
So we've been here now for more than 6 months and I've opened an account just last weekend. Yeeeey! So no problem at all. :cool:

And welcome back.

Cheers,
Ursa

Do you know what type of documentation is required in order to provide you with the new Residence Card ... im talking about the EU Nationals ... thanks :)

proof that you will be able to support yourselves during your extended stay - bank statements, pay slips, proof of pension payments or similar;

passports for each applicant;

birth and marriage certificates for each applicant;

2 recent passport photos of each applicant

proof of medical cover

basically, the same as the old residency certificate

plus if you are a divorced lady then you will need your divorce papers too.

Hi stella_1986,

welcome to the forum.

On this one I have to side with George. I'm sorry to say that you don't know what you are talking about!

You even needed divorce papers (translated in English) to get your ID card as an EU citizen, let alone to apply for your residency certificate.

Please don't give out wrong information.

Cheers
Ricky

its what we had to provide four years ago

thanks for the information..... :)

Hi all,

I just got the info that all Maltese ID cards that carry the 'A' and are due to expire before the 28th June 2012 will remain valid until 31st Dec. 2012.

It is not clear whether new ID cards with 'A' will be issued after the 28 th June 2012.

Cheers
Ricky

I have been e-mailing someone at the ID offices and this is what he told me...don't know if it will help anyone

Soon, in the coming weeks, new biometric ID Cards will start to be issued to Maltese persons only.  The current ID cards will be phased out.  All foreigners (both Eu and non-EU) will not have an ID card any longer.  They will get a Residence Card instead, to be issued from the Citizenship and Expatriates Affairs division.

You already have to apply for residency at the DCEA under one of the categories offered and with the documents required within the 3 month limit.

When accepted you receive a Residence Card (Document).

The 'self-declaration' of residency via ID card will not be possible anymore.

It is still not clear how fast the present ID card system for non-Maltese will be phased out.

Cheers
Ricky

So, is there anyone who already received this new Residence Card?

We're still waiting for the OR papers from the beginning of May...:rolleyes:

What will the difference in everyday life mean with the new I'd cards for Maltese only as apposed to only having a residency card? Hope that makes sence!

@Buds - I went up there and waited to speak to someone, they then told me a letter would be forthcoming which in a week i received then went back up to get the residency certificate.  You have to be patient as this is a waiting game here. But there is nothing stopping yougoing up like i did and trying to push it along ... it does work (3 months it took me)

@Groto - The new residency cards for Non Maltese will from what we can gather be a similar card as the Id but a residency card... I still feel that the only reason they are doing this is because a lot of people have abused the system and have an ID card but no residency... I personally know of 2 people who are working here but do not have a residency certificate and funny enough dont seem to be paying tax... GRRRR !!

scubaboy wrote:

@Buds - I went up there and waited to speak to someone, they then told me a letter would be forthcoming which in a week i received then went back up to get the residency certificate.  You have to be patient as this is a waiting game here. But there is nothing stopping yougoing up like i did and trying to push it along ... it does work (3 months it took me)

@Scubaboy - oooh well, I'm realizing that the speed of these kind people is close to a snail (especially these last months). So the best thing to do is as you said, wait and be patient. I'll take up the advise to "poke" them a little. Thanx :)

scoobs - so have you got the new one? or have i misinterpretted the reply

@Toon - No mate, this was when i received the old Residency card Last year, should be very easy transfer for me though as we have the ID cards and the Old Residency so as soon as they have decided what they are doing it should be a simple cross over

scoobs the important words or key words are "should" and "be"

I just checked my ID card and it expires at the end of August.  My first thought is the buses LOL.  My second thought is the implementation of such a scheme, I get a cold shiver re that one  as we all saw the ("male chicken" up), mess that was made in the introduction of ARRIVA.

There seems to be a lot of different information regarding this new system. 

Will all Foreigners then be required to have a residency card, including EU Nationals who shouldn't actually require one?

EU nationals who are living in Malta (ie here for more than 3 months) are required to have a residency card - thats standard throughout the EU. If you have an ID card you must also have a residency card - all thats happening is that they are being combined.

As for your ID card expiring, it will now be valid until the end of the year - my ID card expired years ago according to the date on the card, but is still legally valid due to an act of parliament

we just changed our address last week and our replacement "A" id cards have a validity date of 2018.

Very important notice about renewals from the government site:

Through Legal Notices 497 of 2011 and 216 of 2012, all identity cards whose identifying number ends with any of the letters ‘A', ‘B', ‘G', ‘H', ‘L', ‘M', ‘P', and ‘Z' that were issued after 15th January, 2002, and which have expired or shall expire during 2012, are legally valid till 31st December, 2012.  This means that simple renewals will not be effected except for 14+ and 16+ I.D. Card holders who have reached respectively the age of 16 or 18 or unless a Maltese citizen intends to use his/her card as a travel document.  Substitution of I.D. Cards due to change of address or in surname will also be carried out.

hi all!

i have I.D. card and i'm curious all discounts and possibilities that are provided by using this card? i only know the Arriva discount. Anything else? i was looking for such webpage where listed these discounts but i didn't manage to find any...

thanks in advance!

Gozo ferry if gozo Resident

discounts lol. its not exactly a loyalty card lol

I just learnt that one of my friends had his wallet stolen.
He applied for a new I.D. card and he received it. It is valid until October 31st 2015
Another friend just renwed their card and it is valid until 2018.
Try and figure that one out.

Losses yes - change of address yes - new entrants yes...

I am surprised at a true renewal though.

are you sure it was a renewal

Mikey303 wrote:

Another friend just renwed their card and it is valid until 2018.

Are they Maltese ?

GnG - does that make a difference....?

Yep - Maltese will continue to have ID cards, although will be replaced by biometric ones at some point

Maltese can ask for a renewal if expired as they can be used as a travel document

aha i see as per schengen areas - is that right

yes

And this is why its delayed ???

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ion.444170

J.

"Meanwhile, the Government is planning to start issuing new cards for non-Maltese nationals by the end of this year.

This would serve as a pilot project with a smaller population – an experience the Government would then be able to build on in the future.

This was also the most urgent part of the project since the European Commission no longer allows member states to issue national ID cards to non-nationals."

end of this year !

its professionally known as a L.O.O.B or abusively  F.L.O.O.B

to be fair to them, it does say "start", so only need to issue to one foreigner and promise kept

but it also says start to "issue" them not that we have to apply for them which i think is nearer the truth and by the way what are the criteria used to get one and do the maltese nationals have to have one too? - are they allowed to have an ID card specifically for Non Maltese? why tackle the two entities seperately,,,when we are all meant to be EU citizens...