Getting A Work Permit In Thailand

There are different laws in all countries that govern the ability of no-residents to legally work and Thailand requires anyone wishing to work there to obtain a Thai work permit.  Anyone can get one if they meet the requirements, file the necessary paperwork and pay a nominal fee.
The first thing you have to consider when attempting to work in Thailand is whether or not the job you want to perform is permissible under Thai law. Foreigners are highly restricted as to the type of work they can do with the primary rule being that foreigners can only do work that Thais cannot do. So most jobs that foreigners have they have because proficiency in their native language is a requirement for their job. For example, an English teacher or a sales rep that needs to communicate with foreign customers. There are many others, of course, but whatever the job is, it must be something that requires a foreigner to do and not a Thai.
If the job is something that is eligible for a foreigner to perform then the company that the person wants to work for must prepare and file the necessary paperwork on their behalf. The first step in this process is for the company to provide the applicant with a letter stating their intention to hire him and provide him with a work permit. The applicant then must use this letter to travel outside of Thailand to a Thai embassy where they need to apply for a non-immigrant B visa. Non-immigrant O visas can also be used to get a work permit but B visas are much more common for this purpose.
After the applicant receives the non-immigrant visa then the rest of the paperwork can be prepared and the work permit can be applied for at the Thai Labor Department. The paperwork consists of various company documents primarily but also some personal documents from the applicant including a passport copy and a health certificate which can easily be obtained from any clinic or hospital. A blood test is required to check for, of all things, syphilis. Apparently it is considered more important than HIV for some reason as there is no test done for that.
After all of the paperwork is put together and presented to the Labor Department it takes anywhere from 7-10 days for the work permit to be granted. If there is a problem with the paperwork then the process will start all over again so it is best to make sure that you have the paperwork prepared by someone who is knowledgeable to avoid unnecessary delays.
Something else that is important to understand is that it is mandatory for anyone who is engaging in any type of work in Thailand to have a valid work permit. Working without a work permit can result in a fine for the company that hired the person and possible deportation for the person working illegally. You can't even volunteer for an NGO here without having a work permit.  And working for a foreign company, say as a freelancer working online, is also illegal. So make sure if you do any work in Thailand that you have a work permit or you could be facing a lot of trouble.

Hi TomAikins!

Thanks for sharing these infos.

Regards
Armand

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Dear Tom, Thanks for info. I'm looking for more details regarding the freelance activities in Thailand. Would you happen to know where to find them?
Im currently living in Thailand, having the opportunity to work from home, on project basis, as subcontractor, for a company in Hong Kong. I'd be grateful for any piece of advice you could provide.
Thanks a lot, Best Regards,
Alice

Dear Tom,
Thanks a lot for your comprehensive explanations about the work permit. Definitely, we are going to take work permit first and then start working.
My dear, if you don't mind, can I ask what your job is in Bangkok?
I am asking such question, because we can probably work with you.

Best regards,
Sahar

Capoti, the best way is to find an employer to hire you and that can provide a work permit for you. This entitles you to get a long term visa (1 year) to stay in Thailand.
Freelancers are not recognized as employed by the Thai Government.
Hope this helps.
How are things back home in Romania?

Capoti wrote:

Dear Tom, Thanks for info. I'm looking for more details regarding the freelance activities in Thailand. Would you happen to know where to find them?
Im currently living in Thailand, having the opportunity to work from home, on project basis, as subcontractor, for a company in Hong Kong. I'd be grateful for any piece of advice you could provide.
Thanks a lot, Best Regards,
Alice

If you are working in Thailand, whether a freelance position or not, you must have a work permit. It's very simple.

In order to get a work permit as a freelancer, you need a company to sponsor you. I did this a few years ago. You get a contract from the company your in tight with, bring this and all the other necessary paperwork to immigration, and hope you're able to get a visa. My visa was a non-immigrant M visa, which is a media visa.