Foreign Student In Malta asks for Help from expats

Hello to all,

i am totally new into this, so will try to do my best.

I got admitted at the University of Malta for starting as a full-time student in a Bachelor programe starting on September, 2012.

I would like to move in Malta before my studies start to get used to the country the way of life and maybe in finding a summer job before i start my studies.

So, here are my questions:

1. Do i actually need the Maltese ID card? How long does it take to get it?

2. As an EU citizen (Greece) who is coming to Malta for studies it says that i need to hand in a "declaration concerning financial resources". Is it, indeed, a declaration? or do i have to proove that i have sufficient finacial means to stay in Malta?

3. Can i actually register myself as a resident from May, 2012 although i start my studies officially on September?

4. Can you also explain me in single steps what should be my first steps for registering my self in Malta in a simple way?

I was a full time student in the Netherlands for almost threee yeas but the registration procedure there was quite simple whether you were student or not. But, for doing the same thing in Malta it seems more complicated and so many different categories.

It would be gratefull if i got some help from you.

Thanks again,

Paris

Hi Paris,

welcome to the forum.

It is really quite easy.

You do need the ID card in Malta and the university normally requires you to have a residence permit if you are a full-time student. By applying for the ID card you already declare yourself a resident but to be a resident you need a residency ie address. So you go and apply for the ID card giving your Malta address and they send you a letter to go and collect your ID card one week later. You will have to show your passport.

You will have thought about how to finance your stay in Malta while studying so that shouldn't be a problem and you will need to show that you have health insurance during your stay. With a EHIC from Greece and your passport you should have access to free treatment in Malta but you have to apply for the Certificate of Entitlement.

This is from the Guidelines for Residency for EU students:

An EEA national and his family members (as defined above) have also the right of residence in Malta if the EEA national concerned is following a course of education, including vocational training and is enrolled in a recognized educational
establishment in accordance with the Education Act or with the Employment and Training Services Act. S/he enjoys such right of residence provided that s/he has enough resources to be able to support himself/herself and family members without recourse to public funds and must have also sickness insurance* against all risks in Malta. You will also need a 'letter of endorsement' from the University to prove that you are a student at the University

This procedure is actually the same in all EU countries.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

thank you very much for your reply. For sure it is a great help.

But still it is not clear, for the EU students. It is a simple declaration that i have to hand in (for the financial means) or bank statements, etc... because then, i am going to have a problem:)

As for the health insurance. I have a Dutch EHIC, that should be fine right? I have a Dutch EHIC because i am still living in the Netherlands, and i will travel to Malta from the Netherlands directly.  Isn't possible to apply for a private Maltese Health insurance?

Last but not least. Do i actually need the Endorsement Letter from the University or the official admittance letter i got from the University would be fine? But, can i register to Malta as a student on May even if my studies start on September?

Too many questions again...Sorry!

Hi,

from what I have heard if you are not working ( with a work contract stating salary) you have to show that you have enough income to live off while  staying in Malta. You will have to see what they ask for ?

From my experience those foreigners with not enough income just apply for the ID card but not for the actual Residence Certificate which is not correct but nobody seems to enforce it for EU citizens.

You should check out what the University requires you to have !

Of course you can apply for and pay private health insurance for your stay .That is just as good as the free health care entitlement. When you leave Holland your EHIC card is probably not valid anymore anyway if you are a Greek citizen - EHIC from Holland means that Holland pays for your health care and why should they pay after you leave Holland if you are Greek?

To apply for residency as a student you will need the letter/form from the university! You only get the Endorsement letter when you have registered and paid the semester fees! Admittance only means that the University has accepted you qualifictions to study the course you applied for.

If you apply for the Residency Certificate before you start studies you will have to show that you have money but that is the case if you are a student  anyway! No big difference .....

Cheers
Ricky

Hi There, having been an expat student myself I agree with Ricky's suggestion... get the exact requirements from the University because if something happens and you need to complain to somebody you have an official document from the University.

The Maltese ID will also be very useful for you since with the card you are also eligible for resident bus fares, open bank accounts and basically everything....
Good luck

EHIC is for tourists not residents

Alf007 wrote:

The Maltese ID will also be very useful for you since with the card you are also eligible for resident bus fares, open bank accounts and basically everything....
Good luck

Malta is stopping issuing ID cards to foreigners in the very near future, in fact it may no longer be possible to apply for one. Current ones will expire 28/6/2012

Hi George,

current ones will expire 28.6.2012 ?

Mine states 31.March 2013 as expiry?

So what is behind the change ? Either being a visitor (tourist) for 3 months and then having to have a Residence Certificate?

What will replace the ID card for foreigners? A new Residence card ?

Cheers
Ricky

yep, a new residence card similar to the biometric ones locals will get, but without the fingerprint

all will expire 28.6.12 - thats what I'm told

I suspect its to catch all those foreigners breaking the law by having an ID card but not a residence card, and quite right too

George,
Where were you given this information ?
Thank you.

today, from an accountant

Hot off the press:

The Government of Malta intends to review the current process for the issue of the ID Cards to foreigners. The new format of residence document applies to EU/EEA/Swiss and Non-EU nationals.

The Changes will be made:

To conform with EU legislation which prohibits Member States from requiring EU nationals and their family members to be in possession of an Identity Card;
In case of third country nationals, the identification document will be limited to their stay in Malta;
The Government of Malta intends to discontinue the issuance of ID Cards to al foreigners
In lieu of the ID card, the residence document issued to foreigners who have been authorised 1 & 2 to reside in Malta or have such a right will be used for identification purposes.

Categories of authorised residents

EU/EEA/Swiss who are workers, self-employed persons, economic self-sufficient persons, students and family members of EU/EEA/Swiss nationals.
Third country nationals who are long-term residents, workers, students, permanent residents (under the relative scheme) and family members of Non-EU nationals

The new format

Malta is in the final preparations to issue residence permits in electronic plastic format by means of a new IT system, which will replace the current ones and will contain biometric features that are:

Photograph – In view of biometric features, photographs will be taken by the Department's officials;
Fingerprint;
An electronic chip for e-government services;
The title of the permit will be in Maltese language, entitled “Permess ta' Residenza;
Permit will have a unique number which will be the person's ID number and it will be printed at the back of the card;
The ID number will be generated electronically and automatically and will be stored in the national identity management system (NIDMS);
Persons who are already in possession of a Maltese ID card their new identity number will remain the same number as on the current ID card

In the case of EU/EEA/Swiss nationals, the residence document will not have the fingerprint, the title of the document will be in English language, entitled “Residence Documentation” and it is expected to be valid for 5 years.

The residence document will contain the following information:

Name and Surname;
Address;
ID number;
Date and Place of birth;
Nationality;
Purpose and duration of stay.

The validity of current ID cards bearing the letter A is until 28th June 2012. Current plans are to effect termination of the issuance of current ID cards to foreigners before the roll out of the new IT system. The roll out is expected to take place later on during this year.

If the termination of the issue of the ID cards to foreigners occurs before the roll out, the current paper documents would serve the purpose of the identity cards until those in plastic format are produced.

The relative application forms will be provided in due course and such forms will contain details in order to generate the applicant's identity number entered in the NIDMS. In the case of EU nationals, in view of their right to vote the European Parliament and Local Council elections, arrangements will be made with the Electoral Office to have their details entered in the Electoral Register.

The said application will be linked to residence and it will entail its examination in an immigration context and may take quite some time to finalise. On application, the person concerned will be provided with an interim document which would have the photograph and ID number printed and will serve as a temporary identification document.

Further information will be provided in due course.

Terry

"If the termination of the issue of the ID cards to foreigners  occurs before the roll out, the current paper documents would serve the purpose of the identity cards until those in plastic format are produced."

what paper document is that then?.....

paper document - your residency certificate

ah thats ok then - but does that mean you will have to carry that every time you want to use a bus....and further not everyone who has the id card has a res cert.

"does that mean you will have to carry that every time you want to use a bus" - yes, until the new one is issued - thats how I understand it

".and further not everyone who has the id card has a res cert." - well that's their problem for not complying with the law, and probably one of the reasons behind this

forums like this are full of people boasting about having an ID card, but not bothering with residency certificate, registering for tax etc - well surprise, surprise, this is a small country, and the govt reads forums like this, and quite rightly is clamping down on those taking a pick and mix attitude to residency - there is tourist and resident, and thats it - if you want subsidised bus fares and utilities, you have to abide by the rules

georgeingozo wrote:

forums like this are full of people boasting about having an ID card, but not bothering with residency certificate, registering for tax etc - well surprise, surprise, this is a small country, and the govt reads forums like this, and quite rightly is clamping down on those taking a pick and mix attitude to residency - there is tourist and resident, and thats it - if you want subsidised bus fares and utilities, you have to abide by the rules

as much as it pains me to agree with you George - i do agree......LOL...its the right thing to do to catch up with all those who cant be bothered or have other reasons for not getting residency....and hopefully to catch those benefit and tax cheats too.

i would love to be a fly on the wall when all those people with the old id cards and no res cert trying to get he cheaper fares......

I suspect there are atleast 1000 foreigners with ID cards and no residency certificates

georgeingozo wrote:

I suspect there are atleast 1000 foreigners with ID cards and no residency certificates

id say that was a very conservative estimate

yep, wouldn't surprise if its 10,000

Hi Terry,

thanks for your very detailed post yesterday about the ID card rule change.

I'm 100 % sure that the topic is going to generate a lot of activity in the coming weeksand months.

Could you please re-post it as a new topic like : New ID card rules for foreigners. This is my suggestion for a title .

Thanks a lot.
Ricky

New post started regarding new rules.

Terry

Thanks Terry :)

Let the comments and questions come ....

Ricky

ricky wrote:

Thanks Terry :)

Let the comments and questions come ....

Ricky

Hey guys I just applied for Nursing in the University of Malta at the start of August. I was wondering if anyone new when we will find out when we will get our acceptance email. They never gave me a specific, and I will have to move country if I get a place so it would mean allot if anyone could give me any information.

Hi people, long time no chat, my apologies, I have been incredibly busy.

Anyway, my question is related to my kids.

My daughter is studying at JC, has an ID card and is 18.

Under the new ID card system what should she do.  The forms donŽt seem to have a section relating to this status.  She is 18 and therefore an adult, but she is a student and therefore a dependant (on me). 

Help!!!  IŽm really confused.

thanks chaps.xx