ESL in Iran

Hi all, can anyone tell me if it is even remotely possible for an American to teach English in Iran? If anyone has any idea of what an average salary might be like teaching in a high school or university, that would be hepful. I would also really appreciate any other input. Thanks.

That is surely possible. Of course you'd stand a better chance with private English institutes. The pay would depend on number of classes you teach per day/month. You are likely to be paid something between 10,000 to 20,000 Tomans per session (1 hour 30-40 minutes).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my delayed reply. I still have a ways to go until I will be able to teach, but I intend to get at least a Masters degree (and get the appropriate teacher certification.) But I guess my biggest concern is how does one even go about finding available teaching positions in Iran - regardless of the city? There are hardly any job postings online, and without connections, is it possible to apply/get a job there only if I apply there in person?

Edit: And do employers typically help with obtaining work visas?

If you are an American citizen, anywhere you go they'll accept you. It is very rare here to have English teachers from American. It is not like your country that most of the jobs are firstly applied online. Here you should go to the place in person. You should go and go until you find your job.
But as you are American, even in your first class, you are going to find many contacts. There will be a lot of guys asking for private classes. Because every one wants authentic information. But you will need to know about teaching and grammar. IELTS and TOEFL degrees are very popular in Iran now, there is a good chance that you can teach these courses. There are Iranian English teachers who earn about 100 dollars per hour, but they are very famous. I think your best card is that you are a native speaker.
more questions?

How do you just show up in the country and apply for a job without really knowing where to start or who to ask? Also...Although I was born and raised in the US, I'm Chinese. Would that be a deterrent in any way? Thanks.

born and raised in the US, that means native speaker. being a Chinese originally is not a deterrent,I don't think so. but anyway it is up to the institute. again I'm telling you every one wants to learn it from a native speaker.
you need a place to reside for some time, then you can start looking for a job. here most of the things are done in person. even I do not think you can find any useful sites on the net. of course summer finishes soon and with schools opening again, some people do not continue their classes. but I'm telling you, your chances are high. you just think about other stuff like how long you want to stay, where to stay. when you want to come. the moment you are here it is not really that hard to arrange lots of interviews. the process does not take that long.
more questions?

I have read Americans are only allowed into Iran as part of a group tour with a private guide. How does an American possibly teach with those limitations? Thanks.

Hi; thanks alot.i found the job.if that,s possible for you mplease don,t send email about jobs for me .with the best regards k-Amini

Hello there, can anyone tell me if it is possible remotely  for a foreigner to teach English in Iran? If anyone has any idea of what an average salary can be like teaching in English institutes, schools, colleges or universities? I would really appreciate that. Any other inputs are welcomed also. Thanks.

Hello Abbas Jaffari and welcome on the Forum.

I think that you should read the above messages. You might get some tips.

Thanks

Karen :)

Dear Mr Jaffari, what do you exactly mean by Remotely? Do you mean some kind of on line teaching or something else?

Abbas Jaffari wrote:

Hello there, can anyone tell me if it is possible remotely  for a foreigner to teach English in Iran? If anyone has any idea of what an average salary can be like teaching in English institutes, schools, colleges or universities? I would really appreciate that. Any other inputs are welcomed also. Thanks.

I think by "remotely" the poster means even a little. Does an American have even a little chance of getting into Iran based on the current political "climate?" It's what I was wondering too.

Am a professional friendly lady teacher and tutor who has been teaching in UAE for over three years. Am planning to move to Iran considering that sanctions have-been lifted up, hopefully. How possible or safe is it for me to get started there, How is the visa process and getting in the working system approach, hope the African / black race is acceptable there...l look forward to moving there considering l have gulf experience in teaching

Hi everybody. I'm glad to be here to make some friends, and possibly find passionate students. I am very enthusuastic to teach ESL, however, I would rather teach it online. How can I go about finding eager Iranian students who would like to learn English online. My expertise is in conversation, however, I sure can teach the English grammar as well. I will appreciate a resourceful reply. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Sam Niakan