Getting married in Tanzania

Hi to everybody,

I am Spanish and I got married in Arusha with a Tanzanian boy. I married in a civil ceremony at the district council (that is at the roundabaout with animals, near clock tower), and the truth is that was it faster than we imagined it.

I write here the guidelines for mixed couples (which I assume will be similar to local partners)

When the couple has decided to join in a civil ceremony has to go to the district council (Mku wa wilaya at the place I told before) and present there the case with all the kindness of the world and a smile from ear to ear.
They will ask a series of documents (if you wear them preapered, the better). Are:
- Passport of both
- Birth certificate of the Tanzanian contracting
- Certificate of no impediment validated by the RITA (in Dar es Salaam) - which form costs about 7.000tsh (which is needed to be supplemented with: a letter from the family of the Tanzanian contracting reporting their knowledge and giving consent - doesnŽt matter if it is by hand).

This certificate - that you would get in the council - it is normally necessary to be taken to RITA (in Dar es Salaam) and there to be validated or whatever they do. Then is when it is presented at the Council with the other documents.

PROBLEMS:
- If the Tanzanian does not have a passport, must present a copy of the application form (or take two forms and fill out one of them specifically for this - as we did)
- If is difficult for you to go to Dar to validate the certificate of no impediment by the RITA because you can not travel - as happened to us - persevere at the City Hall. They have contacts and they can handle the situation. Of course, arm yourself with patience, be aware that you will lose all the morning. Make some pressure but not bad or angry. Make them feel that they are super important and the only ones who can save your situation. If you ever have to be dramatic, let the drama appears .... At the end they will give up, ignoring it if you show enough documents.

From this, the couple fills out a form with their data that will be displayed at the council board betweem 20 or 21 days, in case anyone is against it. The same day that you fill the form you can choose the date and after that they will quote you directly to the wedding day.

For the foreign ones who marry in Tanzania with few resources - as was my case - relax, it seems that everything is going bad and is a horror of wedding, but if you just let it go everything ends well .... and happily.

Once after the beautiful wedding, it depends on the wishes of everyone, but if the intention is to go to the country of the NON tanzanian contracting, you must validate the certificate of marriage in the RITA and the Ministry of Home Affairs (I think it was not the external affairs, but this part is better explained).

I do not remember exactly, but these documents have different rates, although not very high, never reach 50.000tsh.

Another problem is that if you didnŽt present the certificate of no impediment before the wedding at the council, the embassy - at least the Spanish - ask for it. And at the RITA they can be a little bit difficult to give a Non Impediment Certificate after a wedding. But the same thing, patience, kindness and tell a tale story: the council said they hadnŽt time and we could come after the wedding to do it .... that our embassy is pushing us, things work very poorly in my embassy (never tell at their face that their system is a bloody mess .... remember: their system is perfect and they have the power ...), in summary, left hand. Like that you will get all the documents without paying bribes - or only a little bit.

Here finish the process for the wedding. We could organized it in 25 days - including the wating days.

I translate this post into Spanish, as I think it can be very helpful, all I could not find. I hope to serve you, if you have any more question I will do everything possible to make memory and make clear the situation to you, but you know that in Tanzania ...... bufffff take a deeeeeeeep breathe .....

Hugs.

Hola a todos,

soy española y me casé en Arusha con un tanzano. Me casé por lo civil en el ayuntamiento, y la verdad es que fue todo más rápido de lo que nos imaginamos.

Os pongo las directrices para parejas mixtas (que supongo serán parecidas para parejas locales)

Cuando la pareja ha decidido unirse por lo civil tiene que acudir al ayuntamiento del distrito (mku wa wilaya) y allí exponer el caso con toda la amabilidad del mundo y una sonrisa de oreja a oreja.
Entonces empiezan a pedir una serie de documentos (que si los llevas a sabiendas, mejor que mejor). Son:
- pasaporte de ambos
- Certificado de nacimiento del contrayente tanzano
- Certificado de no impedimento validado por el RITA (en Dar es Salaam) - cuyo formulario cuesta como 7.000tsh (el cual hay que complementar con: una carta de la familia del contrayente tanzano informando de su conocimiento y dando el consentimiento - da igual que sea a mano).

Este certificado - que te lo dan en el ayuntamiento -, en principio hay que llevarlo al RITA (en Dar es Salaam) y allí lo procesan-validan o lo que quieran que hagan. Después es cuando se presenta en el ayuntamiento con el resto de documentos.

PROBLEMAS:
- Si el tanzano aún no tiene el pasaporte tiene que presentar fotocopia del formulario de petición del mismo (o coger dos formularios de petición y rellenar uno expresamente para esto - como hicimos nosotros)
- Si el certificado de no impedimento os resulta difícil conseguirlo validado por el RITA porque no podáis viajar - como nos pasó a nosotros - insistid en el ayuntamiento. Ellos tienen sus contactos y pueden manejar la situación. Eso sí, armaros de paciencia, sed conscientes de que perderéis toda la mañana. Haced presión pero no a malas ni enfadado. Hacedles sentir que son super importantes y los únicos que pueden salvar tu situación. Si en algún momento hay que ponerse dramático, se hecha mano del drama.... Al final lo acaban haciendo o lo pasan por alto si solamente les enseñas suficentes documentos.

A partir de ello, la pareja rellena un formulario con sus datos que estará expuesto en el tablón del ayuntamiento durante 20 o 21 días, por si alguien está en contra. El mismo día que se rellena te dan a elegir fecha pasado el tiempo de espera y te citan directamente para el día de la boda.

Para los/las extranjeras que se casen en tanzania con pocos recursos - como fue mi caso - ralajaros, parece que todo está saliendo fatal y es un horror de boda, pero si te dejas llevar todo acaba bien.... y felizmente.

Una vez después de la preciosa boda, depende de los deseos de cada uno, pero si la intención es ir al país del contrayente NO tanzano, hay que validar el certificado de matrimonio en el RITA y en el Ministerio de asuntos internos (creo recordar que no era el de externos, pero esta parte ya está mejor explicada).

Ya no me acuerdo bien, pero por todos estos documentos tienen diferentes tasas, aunque no son muy elevadas, nunca llegan a los 50.000tsh. Nosotros pudimos organizar la boda en 25 días, incluyendo los de espera.

Otro problema es que si no presentasteis el certificado de No impedimento antes de la boda, en la embajada correspondiente - al menos la española - te lo piden. Y en el RITA te pueden poner pegas porque debe tenerse antes de la boda. Pero es cuestión de lo mismo, paciencia, amabilidad y tirarte el rollo: que si en el ayuntamiento dijeron que no daba tiempo y que podíamos venir después de la boda.... que en la embajada nos están presionando, las cosas funcionan muy mal en mi embajada (nunca les digais en cara que su sistema es un desastre.... recordad: su sistema es perfecto y ellos tienen el poder...), en resumen, con mucha mano izquierda. Así lograreis conseguir todo sin tener que pagar sobornos - o con el mínimo posible.

y Aquí se acaba lo que es todo el trámite correspondiente a la boda.

Traduzco este post al inglés, ya que creo que puede ser de mucha ayuda, toda la que yo no pude encontrar. Espero que os sirva, si tenéis alguna más haré todo lo posible por hacer memoria y aclararos la situación, aunque ya sabéis que en tanzania...... bufffff respirad bien hondo.....

Un abrazo a todos.

Hi can someone help me with steps on getting married in dar but i need to know how much will it cost me ..im getting married in the court