Big "C" in Can Tho

Coming off the freeway today on the outskirts of Can Tho I noticed the rather large building that has been in the process of being erected for awhile has now got a name, BIG “C” and they are calling it a “Super Center”. I have seen posts on this blog concerning their stores around Saigon, but I'm curious, is what they mean by a Super Center, is the place like a METRO store on steroids?

Big C is a French owned chain with only one other store in An Lac. TP HCM, way out by Highway 1A.

The 'supercentre' part comes from France where they set up a huge building anchored on their own operation with a plethora of smaller stores with different products. In other words,a mall.

Pne of the first was in Calais, France where all the Brits used to come over on the ferries and load their cars upp with, predominantly, booze and wine.

They are like a sort of glorified Co-op as far as quality is concerned, along with pricing, but they do have a large line of peripheral goods, some interesting but mostly the same old stuff.

Since the TP HCM owns the Co-op, they encourage new stores to open elsewhere. The part of the WYO agreement with VietNam allows anyone to open up Store 1, but any subsequent store openings are subject VN government approval.

Jaitch wrote:

Big C is a French owned chain with only one other store in An Lac. TP HCM, way out by Highway 1A.

Big C has 17 superstores all over the country with 5 in/around Saigon alone.
They are also big in Thailand.

Anatta wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

Big C has 17 superstores all over the country with 5 in/around Saigon alone.
They are also big in Thailand.

Yep, In Thailand, very big and virtually everywhere. The concept is as simple as successful, especially in Asia.

A mixture out of own brand Supermarket (virtually a 100% storage in the market) with shopping mall with a distinctive mixture of accompanying services, adapted to location and targeted clientele.

Whilst  gold shops are common, rural sites might have even drive in for pickups to the till, smallest unit can be a sack or barrel whilst in cities, beauty salon internet cafe, child care centers might be included.

I have seen well over 20, all same same, but very different.

Budman1,

Big C is much like Wal-mart, with a little less merchandise and customer service.  I would classify it as a cross between a Wal-mart and a Costco.

Hey, and it is going to be really close to where I am now living...  Can't wait.

Howie

Thanks for the information. Looking forward to opening day. Gee I hope they have fresh squid.

Here is some more info about Big C and its different formats aiming at different segments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_C

Budman1,

Big C is going to open and it is going to open in grand fashion.  However, it is not going to have "fresh squid"!!! 

Man, you are going to have to look long and hard for such a thing...  :D

Actually, it is not all that bad.  I went to the one in Hanoi and it has many of the junks that we tend to like...  I even got some oregano spice from it.

It is just so fortunate that it is going to be in my back yard, as oppose to some that might have to travel a good 30 kms to get to it...  :whistle:

Ya but it's a nice ride:cool:. Any idea of an opening date yet?

Not quite, Budman1.  These folks tend to speak more than they can perform...  But, do you want anything from here?  I will smuggle them to you???  :D