Obtaining a Vietnamese driving license

Hello!

Long time no post! I have been quite busy completing my TESOL course and getting settled in.

I have been riding an old 50cc Kawasaki for the last month and absolutely hate the thing. It's unreliable, the breaks are shocking and the bike goes by itself so you always need to be on your guard.

I have decided it would be best for me to get a newer bike. As most decent bikes are over 50cc I would require a driving license.

My employer has offered to help me obtain my license for 5million dong. This would avoid me having to complete the written part of the essay and would mean no complications.

Is this a good offer? Can I get it done cheaper? I understand I could get it done directly but if there is any chance of problems or complications I would be tempted to just pay the money and get it sorted.

Any advice as always greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have just realised there is a recent similar post from another user.

If people still want to give opinions on if 5 million is worth it please let me know.

(ps I forgot to mention, it is genuine and I will still take the practical test)

Total rip at 5-million for a motorcycle licence.

You can use your home country licence and do the Figure 8's and come away smiling for only a few shekels.

Cops are happy to dell licences for around 2-million.

Bonesy,

Why is it always you?  Man, go read that other post.  As for the 5 million, take the time and go do it yourself.  It shouldn't cost you more than 500 thousand VNDs, and that includes your margin for errors (knowing you).

By the time you get it done, go back to your "employer" and ask him if he/she want a similar thing for 2 million.

Go to the transportation department and ask them for the package for a Vietnamese motorcycle license, based on your British license.  Hey, I hope you Brits don't need licenses to operate motor vehicles less than 250cc. 

Anyhow, just get back on here if you get stuck.

Good luck,
Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

Bonesy, Why is it always you?

What is that supposed to mean?! :p

Wild_1 wrote:

Man, go read that other post.  As for the 5 million, take the time and go do it yourself.  It shouldn't cost you more than 500 thousand VNDs, and that includes your margin for errors (knowing you).

How many errors have I made?!

Wild_1 wrote:

By the time you get it done, go back to your "employer" and ask him if he/she want a similar thing for 2 million.

Go to the transportation department and ask them for the package for a Vietnamese motorcycle license, based on your British license.  Hey, I hope you Brits don't need licenses to operate motor vehicles less than 250cc. 

Anyhow, just get back on here if you get stuck.

Good luck,
Howie

I thought it was a bit of a rip off, thanks for confirming.

Bonesy

What is that supposed to mean?!

It means that you make more mistakes, more often, than you should ordinary to...

How many errors have I made?!

I got my car and motorbike licenses, good for 10 years, and it cost me less than 100 thousand VNDs.  I gave you more than enough leeways...

Howie

I'd be interested to know what other 'mistakes' you think I have made Howie.

Your second answer doesn't make sense. I haven't paid 5 million dong so I haven't made an error. I did the right think and asked for advice.

Thanks for the useful sentences in your replies.

Bonesy,

I was borned a Vietnamese.  As much as I hate to say it, but many of these guys speak more from their "other mouth" than they should, and the end result, we get a host of "hot airs". 

Just go back and read the posts, man.  But, if I ever find out that my very own employer, the one who drags me half way across the globe, tries to pull such a stunt on me...  God forbid, I will kick his/her ass so hard that his/her s..ts will come out bruised.

That is the type of mistake that you made.

Howie

Bonesy you'll catch on in awhile. When you hear the words from a Vietnamese "Oh I can help you get......, and then ends the sentence with a VND sign attached to it. Walk away is the best advice I can give. The opportune word is help, then if he don't come through, well I only said I would help.

Firstly, my employers did not 'drag' me half way across the world. I came by my own free will to explore new cultures and experiences.

Secondly, I asked them for advice about getting a driving license and they offered to help.

I think your definition of 'mistake' is a little obscure.

They have offered a service which they are within their rights to do so. I haven't accepted nor declined the offer, no mistake has been made.

Now my thoughts that 5million dong is too much has been confirmed, I will look at gaining it through other means suggested above.

I came by my own free will

You put yourself at their mercy.  That is a big MISTAKE in itself...

But, I will guide you through the entire process of getting your Vietnamese motorbike licence.  In the end, I hope you will realize the type of "friends" you have at your side.

Yes, it is a good thing that you come on here and ask all of us.  But, we can't be there forever...

Howie

About the price, 5 mio VND, it's a tough price for a 30 000 vnd thing.

Most people here had to pay that kind of money (me 2). If needed or not, each one has to decide themselves. I did pay, knowing to much money for to little. But the need made the decision.

If I run myself around for 2 weeks, I loose that money already in first hour hour + costs. Nope, paper and office  = nothing for me.

It's a con....... do it yourself!

300,000 vnd max

I applied for mine back in 2009 and to be truthful it took me about a month all up as I was moving in and out of the country during the process. I needed a translation of my NZ Drivers Licence etc. Cost me 30,000vnd for licence and 100,000vnd for translation.
They are about to issue a new type of drivers licence next month so as I have changed address since my first licence I will wait till then to get a replacement licence. I will let you know how I went.

Hi guys,

Sometimes your costs depend on the department/ acquaintance you go with. For driving license, it does not cost much.

Be careful, anyway!