Dual citizenship in Vietnam for a Viet Kieu?

Im a 20 yr VK living in the US and I was wondering if I am able to get a dual citizenship. Both of my parents were born in Vietnam and im pretty sure my dad hasnt renounced his Vietnamese Citizenship yet. My dad was apart of the SVA and was able to escape by boat during the collapse of Saigon. I know he still has his birth certificate but not sure about any other papers.

Hi guys,

I posted here a while back for some advice about dual nationality, since then sadly I have found out the following:

1. my mum and dad where already "British" when i was born

2. my dad lost his and my mums birth certificates

3. Only my siblings (born in vietnam) have thier old vietnamese birth certificates- do whilst they may apply for dual nationality, this does not help me

It appears I am at a loss and it is not going to happen for me, I am really dissapointed and if anyone at all can think of another way round this i would be grateful for the advice.

I came back from vietnam two weeks ago and really loved being there, although i could try to apply for work and live there what i want is to regain my true nationality.

Please help anyone!!!

Thanks,

Kim

Kim,

If you really like it here, getting a job here is your best bet.  Second would be to start a small business here.  However, I don't recommend the later option, for you still sound very green.  I might be wrong, but being green and sitting as the head of a business here is very fooliish.  Last but not least, if your granparents had registered your mom's birth properly, she can still return to the old town and track it down, if you guys really want your rights.

Best,
Howie

Hi Howie,

WIsh it was that simple but sadly my mum past away 5 years ago so it is only my dad now I can rely on.

i thought of teaching english and taking a tefl course but was advised the vietnamese prefer learning from European looking teachings and i would need a degree(which i did not complete)

It seems like there are obstacles everywhere- I have trawled job websites but it appears every employer in vietnam also only hires graduates- even though in the UK i am considered a real estate agent with the years of experience and knowledge- without a degree it is virtually imposible in vietnam to get a decent job! I did think of setting up a business but once again i would have felt safer to do so as a Vietnamese national...

I will try and get in touch with the embassy and explore my options- I really want to find a way somehow as i can imagine living the rest of my life there and its such a pity I no longer feel that way about the UK at all.

Any ideas? :)

Kim,

Well, you can partner with a Vietnamese?  That will enable you to stay here on a long-term basis.  If that still doesn't work, you can always marry a Vietnamese...  :D 

Vietnamese men are some very tough cookies.  But, you will never know.  Faith has her own way of doing things...

Cheers,
Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

Well, you can partner with a Vietnamese?  That will enable you to stay here on a long-term basis.  If that still doesn't work, you can always marry a Vietnamese...  :D

WTF, recommending pro forma marriage to get the most sought after citizenship of Vietnam, a country of Independence - Freedom – Happiness.http://xenfrench.com/forum/attachments/14-png.531/

Wild_1 wrote:

Vietnamese men are some very tough cookies.  But, you will never know.

Speak for yourself, man. We all are exemplary husbands whom the outside world is looking up to.http://planete-smiley.com/images/Emoticone/planete-smiley_emoticone.94.gif

hi howie,

lol, wish it was that easy! But am already (practically) married and there must be a way somehow! Please let me know if you think if anything... i will keep thinking!

Kim

kimberley82 wrote:

hi howie,

lol, wish it was that easy! But am already (practically) married and there must be a way somehow! Please let me know if you think if anything... i will keep thinking!

Kim

Kimberley,

I got my Vietnamese citizenship "reinstated" a few months ago by the VN Consulate in San Francisco. I just happened to have a few documents (birth cert and an exit permit from 30 yrs ago) that they found of value so it wasn't an issue...However, I did ask them what if in a situation where someone has nothing to provide....I was told that you simply provide some names of relatives and where they reside in Vietnam and they will call the local authority to contact the relatives to verify if the info is correct and that is it.

If you still have relatives in Vietnam maybe this is the best course...The Consulate here in the US were more than helpful when I did mine. You should visit the Embassy in London and get directions there.

Good luck!

Danny

Hi

My cousin has just got her Vietnamese citizenship. She has lived and worked as a French citizen for more than 40 years. Now, she only spend a few months to get dual citizenship. I know she has to pay lobby money...If she can, you can!

Tam290711 wrote:

lobby money...

This is precisely what is wrong with Vietnam.

Hi Danny,

Wow that's great! I will try this and hope it works for me.

I will speak to the Embassy on Friday and see how it goes!

hi howie

i will come to vn soon , i am trying to get my vn citizenship now, i should have it by september this year.  i will go back vn to do some business.

kimberly

i respect u for trying to get ur true identity back.  i am in the process of getting my vn citizenship back too. should have it around sept.  see u in vn soon .  i am vietkieu reside in usa now

nickuscdds1 wrote:

hi howie

i will come to vn soon , i am trying to get my vn citizenship now, i should have it by september this year.  i will go back vn to do some business.

HI Nick, How are you going about doing this? What steps are you taking? Are you applying at the VN consulate in the US? Why would it take so long? I'm thinking about getting this done also, but I'm curious of any downsides to doing this... like not getting support from this US in case something happens.

I have been living in australia for 24 years. my nationality is australian. now i would like to appy for vn- australian dual citizenship to make it easier to travel to vn to visit my family

Call them up or go see them in Sydney.
I hate talking to them tho, they think they top sh!t

Google vncosulate, I can't paste the link

hey phu carl

i have an agent do it for me.  i am in san jose so alot of vietnamese agent can help me.  they charge me 600 dollars and they said it take  6 months, no way u can get it quicker than that now aday.

if u violate laws in vn, u go to jail anyway without any help from usa even u are only us citizen.  so dont violate any laws in vn.

nickuscdds1 wrote:

hey phu carl

i have an agent do it for me.  i am in san jose so alot of vietnamese agent can help me.  they charge me 600 dollars and they said it take  6 months, no way u can get it quicker than that now aday.

if u violate laws in vn, u go to jail anyway without any help from usa even u are only us citizen.  so dont violate any laws in vn.

You are wasting your money....go to San Francisco with 400 dollars.

1700 California Street.

Couldn't be easier.

Don't feed the useless attorneys.

send me a message if you want more detail.

I did mine in 7 days...that's a lot faster than 6 months. Just my public school math.

u are right, go to sf consulate and do it myself would be cheaper.  but i rather not skip one day of work and go to sf.  i make more than 200 a day so i rather spend that money on agent.  thanks for the advide.  cant wait to live in vn.

hi dcali

my nephew is also a pilot but he only fly small airplane.  it is so cool what u do.  what make u love vn so much.  i love vn too, i been in usa for 27 years now and cant wait to go back to birth country

nick

nickuscdds1 wrote:

what make u love vn so much.

I guess becuz the fish-sauce in my blood hasn't faded away after 30 years!

:D:D

Nick,

Dtcali flies the bus, bro.  :o

Welcome back Howie!!  I haven't had a drink since with you in VN few weeks ago! Call me or viber me when you free.

I fly a bus alright! The big Airbus!

Dude, I was talking about the big yellow one, with the flashing red lights.  How do you get that thing to take off again?  :lol:
I will, bro, as soon as I get the dust off of me.  :D
By the way, cool frame there.  Aren't you supposed to look the other way on a motorbike, though?  :)

nickuscdds1 wrote:

hey phu carl

It took me less than 2 months and $300 dollars to do it myself for my ex-wife less than 1.5 years ago. The paperwork is pretty straight forward.

Also if you hold dual citizenship, Vietnam is still required to notify the US Embassy of your detainment if you inform them you are a US Citizen. At which time the Embassy will come visit you and tell you that "You are screwed" much like they would do with someone only holding a US Citizenship.

Wild_1 wrote:

Dude, I was talking about the big yellow one, with the flashing red lights.  How do you get that thing to take off again?  :lol:
I will, bro, as soon as I get the dust off of me.  :D
By the way, cool frame there.  Aren't you supposed to look the other way on a motorbike, though?  :)

I got a few more days of standbys then I'm off the hook for about 2 weeks. Towards the end of the week of would be good if your schedule frees up.

As for how to make a yellow school bus fly....I will have to report back after I finish reading the operator's manual! :o:o

What a great thread, very informative!

Was wondering whether someone could help me with the current process for me to get/reclaim my Vietnamese citzenship and passport.

- I was born in Saigon in 86 (should still have birth certificate) and moved to Australia in 93 (should still have original VN passport).
- Became an Australian citizen in 95, but not sure whether I had to renounce my Vietnamese citizenship or not.
- Have been back living in Vietnam for the past 20 months and have a temporary resident card as well. I also have the 5 yr viet kieu visa thing.

If anyone could let me know what I should do and the approximate time frame and cost that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Khoa

Hi, I came to the US when I was 8 yrs. old. Was born in Saigon after 1975. Came to the states legally with my family (we were not boat ppl). I gave up my citizenship when I became a US citizen through the naturalization process after I turned 18.  I haven't been back to VN since I Ieft as a child.  Would I be able to reclaim my citizenship? Thinking of going back there to live for a few years for personal reasons...if work would let me do it and work from VN.  Could I go back on my own and reside as an American in VN not as an expat for a US company but still work for one?  Will I need to reclaim my citizenship to do that?

Seeing that there's so many here with the same problem, I'll make this nice, short, and sweet. I just did mine last December, and like Howie said, it was exactly 2 months. Unlike Howie, it costs me $2,000. The person who's doing this is the guy who works right in the office that APPROVES it - NO MIDDLEMAN. Contact me if you're interested.

I left vn when I was kid.Lost my Vn birth certificate ever since and I had tp apply for a new one again here in Vn,got back home to France then applied for the Vn passport so now I have the dual citizenship.
You guys need to return to your former hometown where the Vn birth certificate was delivered first to apply for a new one in case you lost it.Otherwise,just bring the original of your bc at the Vn ambassy and apply for the Vn citizenship.
Good luck

It's much easier if you still have CMND or national ID or birth cert. Second best is if you still have relatives living here. If you don't have anything at all, then it becomes a witness/testimony of your birth from family friends or who ever it is from your town/village. If you have paperwork such as birth cert., don't waste your money on paying a 3rd party to do it for you. The law is quite clear and simple. You need to go down to 143 Pasteur to pick up the application and start there. If you're lazy or don't have any paperwork, then $ is an issue, but it can be done.

Once you have become a citizen, you still have to apply for a national ID card. To get one, you need to declare a residency here. Without it, things like driver's license will be based on your visa status. Registering a vehicle or bike will be more difficult but much easier with a national ID. It costs me another $350(I need it for personal reasons) to do that in addition to the $2k for the citizenship. If you don't need it right away, then don't spend the extra money. It will take another 2 mos for them to verify with the other country "supposedly" that your bio is true.

The new ID is the size of a US driver's license so it's better to carry around instead of your passport. The new law in effect will fine anyone without an ID.

mandynguyen wrote:

I do not think that Vietnam governement has dual citizenship policy. If you are holding a foreign passport, is vietnamese origin and wish to live/work in Vietnam for long-term you can apply for resident card which has to be renewed every three or five years. Since Vietnam government does not have dual citizenship policy thus you are only able to apply for VN citizenship when you accept to give up your current citizenship.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

I'm an expat working in Vietnam since 2011. I've married Vietnamese and i would like to know how may i apply for vn citizenship and for resident card (3/5 years). for your detailed information i've got 5 years visa but after every 3 months i've to renew the staying permit. I've worked at HCMC but my company always offer me 6 months to 1 year job contract. could you please help me with this concern specially how may i obtain resident card.

thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best wishes,
Zakir

I am an American citizen trying to report the birth of my twins
born Dec-18-2012 here in HCMC, Vietnam. I have been trying to obtain
their birth certificates from the local Hall of Justice, unfortunately
they require that our marriage license (from China--wife being Chinese
citizen) be legalized/notarized here in HCMC, but we have been unable to
get this done because the notary bureau on Alexandre street does not
recognize the stamp on our translated and notarized marriage license
that was done in China as it has a different government red stamp on it.
When we went to the local Chinese consulate here in HCMC they refused to
give us the stamp, directing us to go to China to get a stamp from the
Foreign Affairs Bureau and the Vietnam Embassy in Beijing. We have an
appointment on June 24 at the US consulate to do the interview for the
report of birth, so there is no time to go to Beijing for more stamps,
and anyway they won't put an HCMC Chinese consular stamp on it there so
I would like to know how to proceed. If the local government wants a
marriage license they wIill recognize and be willing to notarize, should
we get re-married here in Vietnam? This might be easier than going to
Beijing for more stamps! Have other American citizens had problems here
obtaining birth certificates? I have all the other documents ready and
prepared, what do you suggest that I do? I can be reached by mobile
phone at 01264831411, Regards, Allen

@Allen Miles I'm sure you've already checked this link out but just in case:

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/report … broad.html

Can't you just go for the CRBA with the documents you currently have?

I have read most of the posts, thank you for such great information.

My wife and I just got back from Vietnam and I actually loved it. 

My question is about dual citizenship but let me post all the particulars.

- Wife was born in Vietnam in 1963
- No birth certificate
- "boat people" fled with her Mom and sisters in 1975.
- both her parents are deceased
- her older sister (and her children still live and work in HCM)
- she is fluent in Vietnamese

I have read that there are 2 consulates (DC and San Francisco) and to apply at either one, San Fran might be easier.

We are considering retiring there.  Her sister has agreed if we want a house there to put it in her name until she gets her Viet Citizenship if possible.

So where do we get started?

Thx
CT

CT,

Did your wife's parents registered her birth?  I ask because, during those warring years, most Vietnamese parents did not register the birth of their children, especially boys.  At any rate, I would go back to the place where she was born and track down her birth certificate first.  It is the cheapest and fastest route.  You don't want to hit the Vietnamese embassy or immigration office without it, regardless of who you might know there. 

Where was she born, anyway?

thekat wrote:

- Wife was born in Viet Nam in 1963

Howie
If you don't know where Vietnam is, just use maps.google.com and type Vietnam. Be careful with the spelling. It is not Nam.

CT,

A house in Vietnam to be put under whose name now???  Without Vietnamese citizenship, you can't even put one of those little motorbikes under your wife's name, let alone a house.  This is the People Repubic of Vietnam, not Disneyland.  Then, if you are going to buy a house and put it under her sister's name, man, call it what you will, but I have heard so many horror stories already.  Your contacts in Vietnam are limited as they are, already.  Don't create situations where they can be strained.

Anatta,

I was going to welcome you back.  But, since the first thing you did was take a stab at me, stuff it, Smurf!  :dumbom:

I meant the city or town, you fool!

Wild_1 wrote:

I meant the city or town, you fool!

Oh, Okay,sure.. whatever.. :rolleyes:

It is ok also to just say you don't know. We understand.