Expats in ecuador

looking for expats in ecuador to communicate with.  we are planning to move there in 2012 but would like someone to email with about questions and experiences. thanks

Hi katet1955,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Maybe you should tell us more about you and ask specific questions.

When will you intend to move in Ecuador? (which month in 2012?)

Thank you

I am 57 years old.  I am a mental health therapist and still work.  My husband is retired.  I think we will move in around summer of 2013.  I am thinking we want to buy a home in cuenca ecuador.  I will be visiting in August 2012.  What hotel is a good place to stay that is not very expensive but close to all services in cuenca?  I will be looking at homes to buy while there, who would I need to contact?  There is so much I need to ask.  I live in Texas and will probably bring one little dog with us when we move.  I am going to need a visa, do I get that after I move or before I move there?  So many questions!  thanks!

Hi katet1955,

I would suggest you to have a look at other threads on the Ecuador forum as well.

Concerning the accommodation search, please note that our new classifieds system will be online in a few days. You could then post an advert in the Ecuador Housing section.

Thank you and good luck in your search,
Christine

(Moderated: :offtopic:)

Hello All,

I, too, am interested in this answer as well as a local's perspective on the rise in crime that I have read about. Particularly the target of AMericans as it is believed that they are more inclined wear the most "bling".

Any insight here is appreciated!

Warm Regards

Hi Kate,
We will be leaving in a couple of weeks to explore the possiblities in Quito then in Cuenca. We intend to stay 2-3 weeks in each before we decide where to settle. We will let you know about our experiences regarding our initial stays. We have decided to see for ourselves first before commiting on a house or condo and we decided that in any case, we want to familiarize ourselves with the real estate market before we buy. Mitri

Here's my impressions: Quito is 2.5 million and so is big, dirty, noisy and dangerous (I was pick-pocketed on our first day there). Cuenca is about 440 thousand and is quiet, peaceful and safe.

Bruce

Thank you, Bruce. It a relief to know that it is somewhat isolated! I feel excited once again to move forward with my trip, and hopefully and ultimately my move!

Warmest Regards,

Rachel

bholtby wrote:

Here's my impressions: Quito is 2.5 million and so is big, dirty, noisy and dangerous (I was pick-pocketed on our first day there). Cuenca is about 440 thousand and is quiet, peaceful and safe.

Bruce

Bruce, your comments about Quito could also be referring to NYC, Washington DC, Madrid, London, Sao Paulo, Lima or any other large metropolitan area. Many individuals,including myself, prefer the additional opportunities larger metropolitan areas offer.

Yesterday was our first day in Quito. Took a guided city tour on a open deck bus. Tried 3 restaurants : Very cheap :), cheap (laughed a lot) and expensive (by Ecuador standards), the wine was same price as in Montreal (where it is a state monopoly!). Obviously it is too soon to have an opinion but I can tell you...for someone coming from a Montreal suburb, the diesel fumes were awful. The people however, are great! Mitri

Hello Mitri & Edith,

Good luck in Quito, yes it grow too fast and it lost his charm but downtown is really nice and the churches are beautiful, is better to visit there in the week ends. 

Let me know when you get to Cuenca and if I can help you with anything here. People says Cuenca is like Quito 20 years ago.

Vinny

Thank you Vinny,
How do I reach you in Cuenca? Mitri

Upppss !!

I forget that part, email me to: [email protected]

Vinny