Where to buy tools, building materials in Marrakech?

Hello,

I will be starting to work on a house I recently bought in Marrakech medina.  Some of the work I will have done by professionals, but as I am in some ways a professional myself (I do historic home restoration) there is a lot I would like to do myself.  I have seen some building materials sellers at or near the souk Khamis, but are there other places to buy tools and materials?  I would want things like ladders, trowels, extension cords, cordless power tools, sawhorses, hand tools for woodworking, hardware and fasteners, plumbing and electrical supplies, paint brushes, etc.  For building materials I need to find a source for lime, clay, sand, concrete, mortar for tile, lumber, bricks, straw, bamboo, plastic sheeting.  And finally, when I get to the finishing stages, where is a good place to look for bath and kitchen fixtures, faucets, etc.?  What about home furnishings like mattresses, curtain rods, curtains, things like that?

While I'm at it, does anyone know of a reliable, competent, reasonably priced plumber and electrician that they would recommend?  If you do, their contact information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mr. Brickolage is on Rue al Fassi near Marjane. It is a hardware store more like what you are used to in the USA. They will have over inflated prices very much like in the USA too.

It has been my experience that these small souks in your local neighborhood will give you the best price on most things and they can refer you to a contractor too. I like to look around at Mr. Brickolage and write down the correct name for what I want. Then I ask the man at my local souk if he has it. He usually does at a less expensive rate. These men may take a small advantage on price for the fact that you are a westerner, but if he knows you want to buy often from him, he will respect this.

Ask the contractor (if you have hired one) to help you get what you want. He may know better places than your local souk. Tip him. He wants your business too, if he came with good references(check him out first! don't hire people that were not referred) he will be happy to help. Moroccans are generally respectful and helpful just to keep client business, but never leave him to work alone on your job sight. If you aren't watching him work, a Moroccan assumes you don't care what he do, how he do it, or what he might take home.

hey nebraska is absolutely right.u can check small souks in neighbourhoods they have more reasonable prices.