Getting Real about Moving to Ecuador

When I started talking to my friends about a possible move from California to Ecuador the naysayers came out of the wood work. Out of 20 or so friends and family, only 4 were really excited about my dream of such an adventure… The others warned me about all the awful things that were going to happen when I got there…

I was going to be mugged, robbed and killed, get diarrhea and dysentery from drinking the water, and those awful parasites from the food would eat me from the inside out. Someone even said I would get kidnapped and forced to do unspeakable things…Oh my, at my age, is there really anything left that is unspeakable. 

”What are you running away from George?” was the question I heard the most. I just love my passive/aggressive friends.

And what about healthcare, the food, and the locals… I was also going to be lonely and sad and finally, my friend Jack told me my dogs would probably die on the flight over….

None of these issues concerned me except one.  Why was I doing this?   Was I running away from something?  Or was I just moving towards a new way of life. This was a question that would take me a while to answer. One that would take a little soul searching and honesty.

So, wondering why you made your move… or why you are thinking about making such a big life change… Comments....

We are moving to Cuenca at the end of April. We are bringing 2 small dogs and so would like to know all about your experiences bringing your dogs with you. What was involved in getting their paperwork together, translated into Spanish and then approved at the consulate? Which airline did you fly with? How did the dogs travel? Were they okay when you arrived?

Thanks

We are just like you and have not moved yet. We visit again in August then plan on moving next year if all is still good. I am pretty conservative. I do things in three's. The fact that I am considering moving my whole life after just two visits is pretty liberal for my way of thinking.

As for your dogs or anything else that involves paperwork and translation, I am convinced that having the help of a local attorney is the way to go. I have big dogs so there is the challenge of getting them there and then the challenge of finding a place to rent that will allow large pets.

Good luck... in fact, check back in and let me know how the process went. I would love to know.

P.S. By the way, our good friends Beth and Larry are moving to Cuenca in a few months and are moving their cat. They sent me the paperwork they are using but I can not find it at this very moment. If I do I will post it. The paperwork only mentions dogs... We laughed about how you almost never see cats in Cuenca... don't ask me why???  They are a little anxious about the move for their pet too. Wonder if anyone else that reads this could give us any info???

Good luck to you and congratulations on the upcoming move.

Dangit George.... sounds like you have the EXACT same friends as mine! :) How can that be... I'm from MN. I would really be interested in hearing your personal experiences. We just retired, and I know why we want to expatriate. The cost of living stateside is just unsustainable. We could certainly stay here, and worry about health care costs ( not old enough for MediCare ) and the overall cost of living, but we'd way rather be in an environment where our money would assure us of a quality lifestyle, rather than " just getting by "
If you're of a mind, and have the time, drop me an email. [email protected]
Stay Well George,
Neil

Hi I agree with everything you say about the quality of life and the worry about how long the money will last once you have retired here. We bought a home in Salinas last May and will be retiring in the year 2015 once our children are settled into their adult lives. We fell in love with Salinas, the people and the way of life in general. We will be visiting each year until our move. Good luck with you adventure to Ecuador and keep in touch to update us. Sincerely, Michelle

Thank you George, this was hilarius! Don't feel bad, I heard the same remarks from my friends. The latest and best was just 2 days ago : what if you need major surgery that would cost 50,000? :):) I have sold the house and contents, declared my retirement and packed 2 suitcases (ok, I had a few little things shipped) and I am doing that before even setting foot in Ecuador. Info I gathered from the various sites and from expats already there was enough for me to take the plunge. We did not want the heat so we are heading (in a couple of weeks) to Quito for a few weeks then to Cuenca and then decide what's best for us.

Edith and I are very excited about the new life and culture. We look forward to meet people who share our vision on how life should be and dare to get ''out of the railroad tracks''.

An earth house attracts me as well (to buy not to build). If you get any info about that project and care to share, it would be greatly appreciated. Mitri

Hello Mitri & Edith,

You really are taking a big jump in uncharted teritory. Good Luck !!!

I'm living in Cuenca and I lived in Ecuador before for many years, I have family here, too so my move was much easier, Oh !! and I speak spanish.

If you need any help once you're here let me know:  [email protected]

And if any of you need help with your pets once you're in Quito let me know. I can recommend you a dog business/hotel there.

Vinny