Going to study: Can I myself pay the living expenses by 20 hours work?

I estimated, the living expenses in Malaysia are near about 1100 RM per month. The law allows 20 hours work per week. Can I myself arrange for this? I might work a salesperson at a Mall,superstore or any other work. Whats the average pay?

Hi SeenSheen,

You may want to be clear on student working in Malaysia. I think the 20 hours are during your holidays and not per week during term time.

1. How many hours an International student can work. And on average how much he/she can earn. And is it possible to finance your day to day expenses( living monthly expenses ) from your part time job.
2. What if a person is exceeding the limited hours to which he is restricted to work.
3. What will be the cost to rent a furnished room near KLMU university.( just a room, not a flat). And what if I and some friends rent a flat. Which will be more cost effective.
4. And is it possible to live in KL with 700rm along with accomodation, food, clothing and etc..

Hi usamakhalid1, why don't you start a new thread in Malaysia forum for better visibility?;)

Harmonie.

^^ Yep, I badly failed to attain any help from here.

1100 too little. My ex 10 years ago only just survived on 1500 a month and father paid rent for her and sisters. And she sponged off men a lot lol. She and sisters Asian and cooked at home etc. So now when prices are far higher? Noway. Average salaries in KL are about 7k and a new grad on lowest pay of 1800 rm a month has to live at home.

KLMU is near to train station,which is good,means that you can find accommodation in any train route.unlimited ride for 30 days for bus&train will cost you rm100 with student price.if u might not need the card,you can pay per entry.and i dont think its wise to search around in that area.we rarely have house in town.i will suggest you to search in taman melati area,room is cheap and they have a lot of expat from middle east due to the fact taman melati near to UIA.you can get a small room for less than rm300(room + utilities).

and for meal it will cost you at least rm15 per day if you eat outside for two times in local mamak restaurant.mamak restaurant usually cheap.but if you go to a nice restaurant,for 1 meal might cost you from rm15 to rm50.

i really think you need to have at least rm1500 per month to be secure,but the minimum will be rm1000.i dont think rm700 is sufficient.

and from taman melati to KLMU is around 30 minute by train.hope this help

And btw say a shop gal gets 1200 rm for 40 hrs. That's 3 rm an hour. So 20 hours is 600 rm at most (you may get less)