What kind of rent we can expect to pay?

WE are thinking about moving to Mexico and want to get an idea of what kind of rent we can expect to pay.  Can you help with this?  I have searched online and can't seem to find that information.  Thank You.

gsolispi wrote:

WE are thinking about moving to Mexico and want to get an idea of what kind of rent we can expect to pay.  Can you help with this?  I have searched online and can't seem to find that information.  Thank You.

I think that depends on exactly where you want to live in Mexico. I am in the Lake Chapala area and you can rent here for anywhere between $ 500 US and $ 2,000 US.  It all depends on your requirements.  If you are thinking about moving to Mexico, I would suggest that you make a visit to the area you are interested in and network with other expats to help you find what you are looking for.  Lake Chapala has a very large expat community and it is very easy to network with other expats.

Hello :) Yes it depends greatly on WHERE and your LIFESTYLE. I split the rent with my boyfriend and our total rent is $4700 Mexican pesos. That is less than $300 USD. However we live in southern Mexico City, away from the downtown. We live in a peaceful area that is safe. We live in a loft-style apartment with a small kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. It is fine for me, but if you want something fancier it will cost more. My brother's friend lives in a Penthouse downtown...it is two stories and HUGE. He pays about $3000 USD/month. So it really deptnds on your lifestyle. Also, you need to factor in gas, bottled water, etc. Compared to any American city, I live for very cheap. We have a lot for little money I think.

It really depends on where you are looking. If you move to a 'gringo'area like Lake Chapala...it will be more expensive. If you venture into 'real mexico' it will be less expensive depending on the zone. If you go to the Beverly Hills of Mexico City...it will be expensive.

I live in an area called Tlalpan and it is not expensive and safe. It is near the UNAM.

Mexico is a place you have to come to to find a place to live...you cannot do much online here. Good luck!

Where are you looking to move?

Hi,

I created a new topic with your posts for better visibility ;).

Best,
Julie

Rent can be depends upon location. Mainly the properties for rent are houses that people have bought for themselves to live in part of the time, and rent out the balance of the time. Also Rental rates vary by season but you'll find the range is between $750 and $2700 U.S... In Mexico at Rocky Point place, there are also condos; homes available for rent. You also need to be very clear on what is included and what is additional so price is also increase.

Even around Expat and tourist areas you can find nice houses for $3-500us but you need to get to know people and the area.   Anything advertised on the Internet and priced in dollars will be charging much more than what you'll find by word of mouth or walking the streets

Thank you all for your response.  We would like to retire to Mazatlan area.  We will be visiting in July and August.  Other years we have visited in May, June and November.  I have noticed that internet rentals are higher than what I have found on craigslist.  Hopefully we will find a nice place downtown that meets our budget.