Does anyone work Teaching English As a Foreign Language (TEFL)?

Hi all,

Is anyone in Prague working as a teacher? I'm thinking of moving to Prague. Can you tell me about life there, is it fun and inexpensive?

Could you live on a salary of approx 21,000 Czech Korona?

Thanks
Leona.

Hi Leona,

I've been living in Prague for the past 2.5 years, teaching English and it's been a dream!  You can most certainly live off of 21k/monthly if you are smart with budgeting and share a flat with roommates. 

TEFL is pretty much the best way to get your foot into the door of the city.  I started off teaching and it opened many professional doors for me - plus the expat community is quite tightly knit. 

Check out the course I did  -  TEFL Worldwide Prague teflworldwideprague.com as a good entry point.

irishgirl wrote:

Hi all,

Is anyone in Prague working as a teacher? I'm thinking of moving to Prague. Can you tell me about life there, is it fun and inexpensive?

Could you live on a salary of approx 21,000 Czech Korona?

Thanks
Leona.

Hi Leona.

It depends mainly on:
a) whether the 21,000 CZK is before or after tax.
b) how expensive your lifestyle is
c) which housing option you choose.

Sharing an apartment will provide a more affordable option for you and taking a 4-week onsite course is a great way to get to know other students on your course and see who you could and who you couldn't live with :-)

I wrote a brief article on TEFL faq's and it can be located on this website in the articles section or on our forum pages.

The TEFL market is quite fierce in Prague. My advice is to contact each school and then go with the one which you feel most comfortable with.

A couple of great links for accommodation hunts are:
spolubydlici.cz
sreality.cz

Prague is a great city to live and teach in!

All the best!

Neville :-)