Renting a property - Can anyone recommend an estate agent, please.

Hi

Good forum; thanks!

We are looking at moving to Malta and seeing info. on this forum I'm a little concerned about the pitfalls/problems experienced with landlords.

It seems that it maybe best to go through an agent and hope that they'll work for both the landlord and the tenant equally - is that wishful thinking?! :-)

(I realise that as "foreigners" we are immediately at a disadvantage (this we have experienced before); unfortunately one has to accept that it comes with the territory :-()

Can anyone recommend a reliable estate agent?
Thanks

In my experience we have used dhalia, frank salt sara grech sapphire and miproperties and all have been fine....just be adamant and specific about what you want as they will try to show good and bad....cheap and expensive. and they come at a price too--usually between 50-100% of rent as a fee.

we have been very lucky in that we eventually got what we wanted by word of mouth, friends of friends - ask around pubs bars cafes restaurants...its cheaper and sometimes you can get a lovely place....good luck

Hi kmc,

welcome to the forum.

Using an agent will cost you 50 % of a months rent ,the landlord pays the other 50 %. The advantage is that you have someone you can complain to if there is trouble.How much it might help is a different question.

When are you coming to Malta? You shouldn't start looking too early - even the week or two after arrival are usually enough to find a place.

I'll send you a PM

Cheers
Ricky

NB we found our first flat in under three days.....lol

Hi Toonarmy9752 & Ricky

Thanks for the comments & recommendations.. Dahlia has also been recommended to us so I've just got in contact with them.

Your so right about giving criteria - however even this didn't seem to help!!
Earlier in the week we were taken around to view a number of properties that had been lined up for us; not 1 fit our criteria! Considering we had arranged this in advance as we were flying in for this purpose we were rather frustrated! We're back to square one but we have learnt that perhaps bullet pointing and "bolding" the essential criteria is possibly the only way to go. We'll see when we have our next set of viewings; but perhaps I won't hold my breath ;).

Thanks also for the "heads-up" re the timescales - we were concerned that with needing something almost immediately we'd end up in a hotel for a few weeks which would be really, really costly.

It sounds harsh but it has to be done - tell them in no uncertain words that you dont want to waste your time going to properties that do not fit your criteria and if the first one doesnt fit - close the meeting and viewing there and then...and thell them that you are going elsewhere.....harsh but it does work....we and our friends all do this and believe me they dont want to lose sales.

I personally recommend Jason at Remax (tower road) he really helped us find our property without us viewing first so we put a lot of faith in him. I also know that he has helped 6 of my husbands work friends to find properties and they are all really happy with them. Hope this helps x

Hi

Do you think it is better to buy or rent in Malta?

In my opinion it depends how well you know the island - I think Malta is like Marmite you either love it or hate it so if this is your first time here I would rent to begin with x

rent first always - then and only then buy once you know your area that you like and have had tome to get to know your potential neighbours, nuisances noise and services...etc good luck

Hi

I just wanted to give a big thanks to all for their recommendations and ideas.
I am now being flooded with more appropriate properties from Dhalia, ReMax, Frank Salt & Belair.

I think the idea from lindseyb and toonarmy9752 is very valid; renting is certainly our first choice as we really don't know Malta very well at all - testing the areas over the 1st 6 months will be our next challenge ;)

Hi,

If you need property to let during the coming months, please send us on [email protected].

This is direct from owner, so no agent fee will be charged. Our apartment is listed on one of the agents website, but you can contact us directly and avoid from being ripped off and pay the extra fees.

We would send you a good amount of pictures of the apartment to show you that this is a highly furnished and comfortable property.

Thanks in advance

Hi  Thank you for the advice we have stayed in Malta for the last 6 years and stayed in different places. We are hoping to move to Qawra or St Pauls Bay and we are looking to purchase a property for about 90-105,000 Euro two or three bedrooms anyone know of any for sale.  We are intouch with the estate agents at the moment but they don't seem to listen when you tell them what you are looking for and send you properties completely different to what you said you were looking for.  Also on there website you can see properties for sale but they don't mention them when they send you properties to look at. I can only think that they leave them on there after they have sold them.

it is indeed oh so true that that is exactly what the estate agents do - i personally dont understand why as there is about 55000 unoccupied properties at any one time..some for sale some for letting and lots just been built or been built for years and sitting empty......

many properties have been sold or let despite them still being on the websites..so dont trust what you see..i was looking just the other day and showed interest in 9 properties and could only see ONE.

Further the agents dont seem to show interest until you are actually here on the island...and yes they will show you anything just to get a sale....unfortunate but true, but typical malti methods that clearly dont work.

Hi ladyowl,

you have immediatly identified the problems of most Maltese property agents.

1) They all list as many of the same properties as possible on their websites and don't update often. So they always have to call the owners if you are interested in a property to find out if it has been rented out or sold by one of the many,many agencies in Malta.

2)When a property is rented or sold it is not deleted from the listing because the owner is not going to call all the other agencies still listing it and don't know that it is not available any more.

3)Even if they do know they still have to have someone sit down and take it of the list and that can take time.We once rented a town-house in Sliema and moved out and found still listed about 1 year later actually pictured with our own furniture and large flat screen LCD TV that we had taken with us ! -)))

So, bottom line, the best way is to choose an agent ( by recommendation or chance or ?) and say what you are looking for and want to pay and make it clear that you don't want to see anything that doesn't fit your description. Make sure the agent knows the things that are really important (number of bedrooms,location,style,price , .....). And be aware that they all work on commission only basis and so many will try to get you onto more expensive properties.

If you send me a private message I can recommend an agent who really tries to offer an individual service.

Cheers
Ricky

mmm I used 2 Perry and Dhalia... I told them both my budget limit and the 1st one showed me properties from my max limit above and the 2nd one did show me something more realistic.

Do you have an idea of the area where you would like to leave?

If you are interested in Mellieha, my neighbour (who lives abroad) is renting his flat so no comission there.

Hi also moving to Malta wanted to sell everything and move into furnished private accomodation pref not with an agency. If any one has any links for long term lets or any advice please let me know thanks :)

I don't know a good and efficient agent. It's a job of liars. Lower your max budget, give detailed criteria (location, floor, beds...) and be firm. And don't hesitate to change of agent until you find your place.
Also, if you ask any Maltese in the street, there will always be one who knows someone who rents a flat ahah...funny but true.

Hiya,

Agencies are expensive and they advertise properties they dont have in order to get you to phone them.
Look in the malta sunday times online there's hundreds of private lets, some will have emails and maybe will send pix.
Try facebook kenneth bonnici he usually has some to let.
Cheers

Steve

Hi.. I'm back.

We have arrived in Malta and have viewed a number of properties. One that we are looking at is on Ta' Giorni; our one concern is that we don't know this road and/or area. The accommodation is quite close to the Lybian School, also I'm a little concerned about the "estate" opposite (especially as I will be on my own for a lot of the time). Any thoughts on this area would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Kathy,

there are some nice places in Ta'Giorni - especially in the upper part. The area /road near the Libyan school is closer to St.Julians but the school itself doesn't look very nice , in fact it is quite run down. I would advise you to take a look at the area at different times of the day. I don't think the area(estate) should be a big problem if it is the one I'm thinking of but it is not really 'pretty' -)))

Ta'Giorni itself is a popular residential area for Maltese and has a good reputation but that might refer more to the upper end!

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky

Perfect timing.... the agent has just rung to finalise things.

As you say it does look rather run down; my concern was more the "safety" aspect. Looks like we will be going for it :D;

Want to take the opportunity to thank you and others on the forum for the advice and recommendations - don't know what we would have done without you :)

Cheers for now

Moving to Malta in December 2013.  Looking for a flat to rent.  Can you help?

Ralph

be very careful.. dont accept the first one you see and fall in love with..... and ask about the billing - is it residential or domestic.... there is a massive difference.... if there is any doubt walk away......

Thanks for the advice.  Should I go through an estate agent?

Go to this Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Quicklets.com.mt I know the person and he is ethical.

theres nothing wrong with going through an agent if you can find a good one - but they're all much the same - Malta is going through changes (albeit slowly) regarding these right now and I believe there are only two who appear to be acting ethically Quicklets and Belair. it is often said to be better to go by word of mouth and recommendation as most agents really dont earn their commission and will show you anything to get a sale rather than what you have asked for.....PROTECT YOUR SELF ASK THE AWKWARD QUESTIONS AND IF THERE ARE ANY DODGY ANSWERS WALK AWAY

redmik wrote:

Go to this Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Quicklets.com.mt I know the person and he is ethical.

I can 100% recommend this. I used Steve at Quicklets for my recent move and he was excellent - no pressure and showed me the right flats.

I only used him because of the recommendation on here previously and I'm glad I did.

I moved to Malta last week and was recommended Steps properties. Ina is the lady who runs the place as far as I am aware of and she is a superstar. She also helped one of my colleagues to find a place, hence the recommendation. I sent her a checklist of what I was looking for. She took all of that on board and sent me several options the day before I travelled and arranged viewings for the following day for the ones I had picked. They were all spot on. I signed the letting agreement today. I am a very happy camper and would recommend her without a doubt.

Steve Gill wrote:
redmik wrote:

I can 100% recommend this. I used Steve at Quicklets for my recent move and he was excellent - no pressure and showed me the right flats.
I only used him because of the recommendation on here previously and I'm glad I did.

Thanks for the feedback, glad he was able to help.

paulsql wrote:

HI,YOU ARE NOT AT ALL AT A DISSADVANTAGE! I CAN ASSIST YOU,I WORK FOR A WORLDWIDE PROPERTY AGENTS CALLED FINE AND COUNTRY SQL MALTA ,REGARDS PAUL 99387620

Spam advertising. reported AGAIN!

Hai,

I'm coming to Malta in September for 6 months for my thesis. I was looking for appartments to rent and came across sql.com.mt. Has anyone experience with this agency? And also is it smart to rent the house from the internet before seeing it, because currently I'm living in the Netherlands.

Thank you for the help

HI,

When I was planning to move to Malta, I saw a lot of real estate agents on the web but, when I start to contact them asking about the properties, always I received a negative answer. Sometimes was rented, sometimes they don't remember the property, etc. So, I decide to find a hotel for one week and, in this week, I find a nice place to live.

I don't know if this is the best approach with this question but, my sentiments are the real estate websites in Malta are just "per se" and not tools to get new clients or provide a good service for the owners.

But, if you're a lucky person, you can find something using the web :)

Regards
Paulino

Thank you for your reply Paulino. When you were in Malta did you find a place through an agency?

Mervv wrote:

Thank you for your reply Paulino. When you were in Malta did you find a place through an agency?

Yes, a guy from an agency. I can send the details by PM for you.

Regards

Can anyone recommend an estate agent?. I will be looking for an apartment in Sliema from 10th of August.

Thanks!!

Check out MaltaPark , do as much legwork as you can because in August you will pay a lot especially for sliema where as if you apply direct to owner you may be able to negotiate

I'm looking into the possibility of moving to Malta and have been checking various property sites, the properties on MaltaPark seem to be on average a lot more expensive than the estate agents, is there any particular reason for that?

Would a budget of around €700 be reasonable for a modern 1 bed sea view apartment in the Sliema area? Doesn't have to be right on the sea front but just want a nice view :)

dont trust the estate agents websites and dont use them as a guide either - they are usually well out of date