New to Guangzhou

Hi All

Im new to Guangzhou, Panyu specifically. I'm 24 yr old girl and curious as to where are the best places to meet fellow westerners in Guangzhou. Any tips?

J :)

Hi,

You can meet foreigners of all ages at InterNations.org

I am one of the local organizers in Guangzhou.

Good luck

Geof

hello jane white swan hotel is a place where western people usually gather - i am not western but i have many friends and business contacts from UK and US. ;)

- Andrew LIU

Hi,

there are not many western foreigners in GZ,
but plenty of black people,
more than 300000(just 30000got visa-legal stay)
-they live in GZ for Africa-Business.
I know also a few of them,and they make a lot of money.

Where u can meet white foreigner?
shamian - thats the part where at the colonistic area of GZ the foreigners
stayed and today a tourist attraction.

where elsewhere?- hard to say maybe all alround the expensive foreigner hotels in GZ, -
you know GZ is not Hong Kong, just a few foreigner,
and the maybe biggest problem - all white u can meet this places are wealthy(i mean rich-800rmb lowest rate ate the white shwan hotel), maybe u cant meet thier social requirements.

I live since almost one year in china and i got actually only chinese friends.

If u want we can meet us next time in GZ, i can show u maybe a litte of the city(if i am free.)
my mail is [email protected]

bye
kris

Hi, I'm Morris from Hongkong. I'm working at Shunde now (around 30 mins drive to Clifford i think, but i dont have a car).

I'd like to make some new friends also. Keep in touch.

Morris

hi janeleea
im mohammad, i see many foreigners near garden hotel there is few bars, few clubs and many restaurant. i think its a nice place for foreigners.

hi, i am in panyu too.  had been in china for 4 months.  i am an overseas chinese from malaysia

Hi Janeleea,

I would advise New Town. :)
I'm mostly in the Tianhe/NewTown region.
If you have any questions or need help with anything,
here's my E-mail.
[email protected]

Cheers!

janeleea wrote:

Hi All

Im new to Guangzhou, Panyu specifically. I'm 24 yr old girl and curious as to where are the best places to meet fellow westerners in Guangzhou. Any tips?

J :)

Hi

Please visit new town, you will find many foreigners.
Hope you'll find someone to hang around.

I would agree that the New Town/Tianhe region is a safe bet.  This forum seems to be a good place to start as well!

Hi, Janeleea!

There are some 20,000 expatriates from over 150 countries living in Guangzhou indefinitely, with about 500,000 here temporarily at any given time.

About 35.27% and 22.34% of them reside respectively in the Tianhe and Yuexiu Districts, the most developed downtown areas. Panyu, a booming district in the south, is also preferred by about 13.55 %.

The communities along Huanshi Dong Road (环市路), a traditional Central Business District (CBD) sprawling around the Garden Hotel, and Tianhe Bei Road are top residential areas for foreigners. With their upscale office towers, stylish night-life spots, restaurants, leisure facilities and endless shopping, these areas easily attract the highest number of expats.

Europeans, Americans and Australians are particularly fond of the Taojin area (淘金, between Huanshi Dong Rd. and Hengfu Rd.) and the Tianhe Bei area to the east.

Taojin is a bit dense, with many older buildings, but has been a favorite place for foreigners to live for decades due to its convenient and diversified services, as well as its "trendy vibe", with premium shopping outlets and interesting spots all around. But foreigners also flock to the Tianhe Bei area (天河北), a newly-developed city center with a better living environment that includes highbrow office buildings, hotels and restaurants. Located beside the Tianhe Sports Center, prices here are high.

For Koreans and the Japanese, Tianhe Bei is also a prime location.

Africans, Middle Easterners and Indian people tend to flock to different locations. Xiao Bei Road (小北路) and the connecting western section of Huanshi Dong Road is their core locale, a convergence of office towers, lines of Islamic restaurants and residential blocks. Many people there are traders and the area is called the "Little Africa of Guangzhou".

Many Africans, plus some Koreans, can also be found living and looking for business opportunities in the blocks around the leather wholesale markets on Jiefang Bei Road (解放北路) and the San Yuan Li Area (三元里), which is north of the Guangzhou Railway Station (广州火车站). Also, a large community of Middle Easterners lives around Zhongshan Ba Road (中山八路), west of the Chen Clan Academy (陈家祠).

Alternatively, there is a privileged "oasis" away from the hustle and bustle of downtown called Ersha Island (二沙岛). Many foreign consulate officials and senior business executives make their homes there in upscale townhouses and villas on this peaceful "Natural enclave".

The apartment blocks in upscale Zhujiang New Town (珠江新城) are under constant development, mainly in its western wing, which has become home to many foreigners. But the facilities and cost of living there are not as attractive as Taojin or Tianhe.

Others:

In Panyu (番禺) foreigners mainly reside in sprawling mainstream estates like Clifford, Riverside, Star-river and Agile, away from the chaos of downtown. Some live in Shiqiao (市桥), the district's center. Thanks to a rapidly-developing transportation system, they can work in town while retreating to quieter lives on the outskirts of the city.

The residential communities around the Sun Yat-sen University (中山大学) in the southern district of Haizhu, and the university cluster in the Wushan Area of Tianhe (天河五山), are popular to foreign students for their close proximity to campuses.

Nowadays some Eastern Europeans and Africans can also be found at the western rim of downtown or on the outskirts of the city, in Luochong Wei (罗冲围) or Xi Cha Road (西槎路) for example, because of the low cost of living.

Source

Hello.

As fspademan said, this a a good place to start making friends.

I hope you find some new friends and adapt to the city quickly.

Here sometimes people organize meetings somewhere and you just have to be aware of this.

If yo have any question just let the forum knows, there are so many good peole who want are happy to help.

Regards.

Fernando.

hi there, how's going? I'm Chinese, used to stay in the UK in the past three years. I love to meet new people 2, drinking and clubbing. wanna make a friend with u, what do u think? my facebook: [email protected]

hey Janeleea,

Im jonny and i have only been here in Guangzhou for about a week and im doing the same, looking for fellow westeners to make friends with to go exploring and stuff. Im a teacher at a private school in a small village in Guangzhou.

Hope to hear form you

Ditto. Give a yell if you fancy getting involved in some kind of meetup. Though janeleea - you've been here a fair while now, ey. Like 6 months?! Did you succeed in meeting ppl already? x

Same here, I'm just arrived to Guangzhou not long ago, and looking for some westerners to grab a coffee or at least expand my contacts in Guangzhou. Let me know if anyone is interested. :)

I am not actually in Guangzhou but a short taxi ride away and I've been here a month. Definitely looking to make some more western friends!